IGNORED

Media Blasting Resurrection of the Horns

DeesZ

Not having a soda blaster I used a wire wheel on a bench grinder followed by several applications of naval jelly which got a lot of the rust off and then I painted the horns with primer and then black. Would have painted drab green if I had known that was the original color. Had to have a shop weld on new nuts where the horns originally installed because I couldn't get the horn mounting bolts to go all the way into the rusty bolt holes. PO had removed horns. Lots of anti seize went on the relatively short new bolts to prevent corrosion of the new bolts.

• 4 years later...

I ordered the same paint code that Dan used (24087), but from a different manufacturer (Gillespie). I found two places that sold it online (Rapco is the place I bought it from). After I painted a set of horns with it, it seemed a little more brown than what was originally on the horns from my 1969 production cars. So I ordered the exact same paint that Dan used (Aervoe) and painted a spare set. That paint seems to be slightly darker green, and a little more glossy than the original paint. Like Dan, I used some steel wool on the darker green horns to make them a little less glossy. I think either paint would be close enough for most people. Here are some comparison pictures with and without flash (it is an overcast Seattle evening here). The Aervoe brand is on the left, the original is in the center, and the Gillespie/Rapco is on the right. I decided to paint the screws and nuts (including the mounting bolts) since that is how they were on my cars.

-Mike

Do you remove all the screws and dismantle both horns? Can i use paint remover spray to remove White paint that was accidently sprayed on the horns when my car was painted? I read that there are some parts you must be careful not to spray or touch as it may damage the horns!!!

• 1 year later...
On 9/14/2008 at 5:27 PM, DeesZ said:

Mikewags, see the attached picture for horn location on the front crossmember. This picture is courtesy of Mark Brandyberry (mdbrandy) from an earlier thread post.

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=10496&d=1135869237

is this the stock location?  I've scoured the internet and this is the only good pic i can find of stock horns installed.

my Z didn't come with horns so I had to procure some.  my horn connectors (they're there) wont reach that location (i only have one hole on the passenger side of that cross member, no hole on the drivers side).  i do have some available holes on the sides, behind the grille, just need to get the right bolts to mount.

there is a hi and lo horn.. does the High horn go on the passenger side or driver side?

1978 280Z

and yes, i found the electrical wiring diagram for the horns but it only has L.H. and R.H., which i assume to be Left Hand and Right Hand.

Horn relay is there and connected as well, fuse looks to be in good shape.  haven't taken off the steering wheel cap yet, want to try with the horns installed first.

thanks for any and all help!

I believe that picture is the location for a 240.  My 77' has them mounted higher and facing each other connected to the bumper brackets.

This picture of a aftermarket horn shows the right location.  A stock horn would be facing camera here.  I have stock horns now, If you need a picture I can get one later.

IMG_0413.JPG

• Like 1

I believe that picture is the location for a 240.  My 77' has them mounted higher and facing each other connected to the bumper brackets.
This picture of a aftermarket horn shows the right location.  A stock horn would be facing camera here.  I have stock horns now, If you need a picture I can get one later.
IMG_0413.JPG

That's perfect, exactly where I thought they would go. Just need to find the right bolts and get em mounted! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile
  • Like 1