IGNORED

Money.......(the bell tolls)

2-77zs

Time to talk dollars.

Many of you have thousands into your cars. What budget changes would you make if you had it to do all over again?

What changes would you have made? What would you have avoided, and where would you have spent more or less?

As I'm sure you have all figured out, it's time for me to present a budget outline to my accountant (wife). Who actually is my accountant.

I just spent $6000 in 6 months to turn a clean--but boring--77 into a clean-running, easy-driving, comfortable but aggressive cruisemobile for road tripping and autoX that my originally gung-ho wife now finds excuses not to ride in.

My next Z will be a pre-74 240 and will be MUCH more aggressive but much lower-budget. Everything on it will be begged, borrowed, bartered or stolen. It will not have lush interiors or operating lights and guages. It will have undercoating for carpet. It will not have a change compartment in the console. If you choose to ride along on the milk crate on the passenger side, I will provide you with a roll-bar to hang on to instead of a door pull. The wheels will be gun-metal grey spray painted 15" whatevers instead of polished alloy. Lowering springs? CUT springs, baby. The headers will be a rusty, dented set I get free on-line. I will re-model a bathroom for the head work. Hood? What's a hood for? You know that color of dark, flat, splotchy, hand-applied charcoal paint that you see on '30's and '40's Ford bucket rods and roadsters? I'm learning to really like it.

Priorities have definitely changed....

steve(maybe it's for sale?)77

SOund's like my car... It isn't pretty but it runs pretty good. Still alot to do, But buget dictates the rate of progress. My car got this way because of technical skill and buget limitations. I could fx the body, but not so well that anyone would want to steal it, or say wow what a beautiful car. It does not however have football size holes located every foot or so like it did when I got it ...

Oh Steve you're killin' me...ROFL

My favorite part is "CUT springs, baby " and the milk crate thing...

Don't feel bad tho, I've begged borrowed and stolen everything on my Z and my wife still won't ride in it...

I think she's jealouz tho:love:

Have fun, life is short and so is a 240.

B.

First thing never go to the same panel beater $3000 for a paint job with rust holes in different spotsROFL Never redo a 2+2 no one wants them in Australia. I have however robbed ever good part of my 2+2 to go in my 240Z. The interior put nice seats in, white faced gauges and if its possible put multi colour dash lights in, blue green red extra, wheels 3 piece if I can afford it.

From what everyone here has posted so far, it seems as though you're either letting the car get between you and your spouse, or she feels jealous of it, or maybe she resents it or is scared of it.

My wife has been part of my "evaluating" team as well as "Ops Check" supervisor.

What does this mean?

It means that instead of complaining and bitching and moaning over how the car is a piece of sh!t unless I get this and that fixed / new / repaired, I bring her into the garage, have her look at the item(s) tell her what it would cost to fix, replace or have repaired and then deal with it accordingly. Then abide with what you've agreed to. If she says you probably ought to replace it, but could you hold on till xxxx so we have the money, then do so.

Too many times I've seen friends, and even myself, let a bit of youthful exuberance creep into our psyche and reinforce the "I want what I want and I want it now!" mindset that later gets us into deep doo-doo with the spouse.

When the item / part / repair is done or received, or installed I have Deb take a look at it and take a moment to share in my pride of having done it, and / or of getting it done so that we BOTH can share the ride. This is going to be our Cruise Mobile.

Also, if you are planning on building a Land Based Rocket, keep the fact to yourself. She doesn't need (or want) to know that you are planning on turning 3 second quarter miles. Speed, handling, acceleration etc for the most part are GUY things. Mention them to the average woman and she will recoil from fear / distaste. (Kind of like you when they start mentioning aromatherapy candles or the latest in skin care products.)

As far as what I would change / do different if doing this all over again? Probably I wouldn't hesitate in "only doing it this far", and just dive in, take it down to where it needs to go and fix it right.

As always with these kind of things, figure a budget as close as you can and then at at least 30% in price and time (if not more). Be prepared for it to take longer than expected and cost more than expected this way it's not a stressfull experience as well!

Only real advice I can give so far is do your home work before you go fork out big bucks for parts and accessories. Make sure the company that sells them is giving you what you want...

Also, and most importantly, spend the extra time getting a shell that has no rust. This will take the most time/money to fix so if you can start without it and only need mechanicals then you should be set.

Good luck with the project!

Ross.

Well, if I had to do it all again I would start by doing my home work, hold out for a rust free California or Arizona car that was in great shape and free of rust, spend about 3-4K on the initial purchase on an already reliable car and modify after that as needed. Wait, I've already done that. :classic: Oh, yea!!!!!!

When it comes to the wife, I usually tell her "hey, we're spending 400 dollars a month on your car so,... I'm going to spend the same on "maintaining" the Zed! (I usually get no argument).

I really did give the wrong impression. My wife is an accountant. She has yet to dissuade me from any of my personal aspiration. Very supportive in all my endeavors, and useful as a partner in "projects" outside of her taste.

I was merely attempting to state, that it is time for "us" to review a budget outline together.

With all of your help, this will be mush easier for me to do.

Thank you all so much.

TS

Well St.steven I am about to embark on the frame rail on a '73 that has that popular nasty spot below the battery on the spot where the frame and body com together....

Advice? It looks like quite the task, but it really needs to be done. I've heard the initial part is not too expensive but the labor can be...

Floor panels have been done, but I'm not exactly happy with the way that the previous guy did it / had it done....

Thanks for any advice....

Hope everyone had a safe and fun Labor day!!