IGNORED

#383 listed on Ebay

Mike B

To be correct it is HLS30-00383 and it is located in Ozone Park, NY. The seller looks familar (carcomusa). I think he may have bought that car on ebay a last year. Here is the link. The only option is a BIN of $9950.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Datsun-Z-Series-240z-1969-240z-production-number-383-COLLECTORS-VERY-RARE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6187QQihZ013QQitemZ230256924358QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

-Mike

It looks like this seller is a used car dealer and he bought it on ebay last August. Here are some pictures from that listing.

It was painted blue then, but I think the original color was white, since you can see white under the blue in some of the pictures.

-Mike

post-9102-14150803455951_thumb.jpg

post-9102-1415080345612_thumb.jpg

post-9102-14150803456249_thumb.jpg

post-9102-14150803456337_thumb.jpg

post-9102-14150803456447_thumb.jpg

post-9102-14150803456544_thumb.jpg

post-9102-14150803456658_thumb.jpg

post-9102-1415080345676_thumb.jpg

post-9102-14150803456864_thumb.jpg

post-9102-14150803456968_thumb.jpg

Oof...tough to tell on the one. A couple of scary things...

a) Screwed on hatch vents?

B) Rough frame rail patch...

c) Reasonably fresh coat of splash white hiding....

d) Very partial floors shots (no shots, never good)...

The good:

a) Matching engine #

B) Claims floor work is done (how well?)

c) Seems to giving a fair assessment of the vehicles weakness (not overly candy-coated anyway...)

$9,950...incredibly high if it wasn't for the VIN #...as such, still a little on the high side I believe...

It looks like this seller is a used car dealer and he bought it on ebay last August. Here are some pictures from that listing.

It was painted blue then, but I think the original color was white, since you can see white under the blue in some of the pictures.

-Mike

Thought I remembered the #

So...delete the body kit...remove silly spoiler...screw in bad hatch vents...spray paint white...

...any idea of what he paid?

Thought I remembered the #

So...delete the body kit...remove silly spoiler...screw in bad hatch vents...spray paint white...

...any idea of what he paid?

Not exactly, but it was well below the $9950 he is asking for it now. I am thinking $3-5K or something like that. There was a thread about it last time, but no pictures or results http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27644&highlight=383

-Mike

-Mike

I agree with you, Mike. It's the same car. Still has the same '72-'73 console, ID plates are identical, same engine, etc.

I also agree with Bigoak, a very amateurish & hasty job with terrible bodywork & paint. I would love to have a '69 production year Z, but this one scares me and it's priced way too high for its condition.

I really do hate to rip on other people's cars, but this seller seems to have tried to do a quick respray and then sell it for a lot more than it is worth. Here is a line from his ad "the car had been repainted at some point but not excellent, it would be considered fine from 10 feet away". If he just bought it last August and it was blue then and it is white now, he obviously had the car painted or did it himself, so why say it had "been repainted at some point". The rear hatch vents are a joke. Why bother even putting something like that on? It isn't funtional or cosmetically appealing. Just leave them off or spend the $40 for a new set. With things like that going on it makes you question everything else.

-Mike

On the other hand..... 69 Production Year examples seem to bring $7K+ no matter their condition or completeness. The car might have been worth more had he NOT added yet another coat of paint that will now have to be removed... da...

FWIW,

Carl B

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...