IGNORED

Sneak peak of the 2009 370Z

Sigh, I am so tired of the wider fatter car models, its not just the Z that is feeling this trend so many others are going that way. Its like they design a car and send it to McDs for a year before they sell it.

I am glad this attracts someone enough to spend money on for one reason, Nissan will live on to try again! My opinion is that Nissan knocks one out of the park every third model. They had a serious hit with the S30, another hit(though in an entirely different vein(maybe even the wrong vein) with the Z32), and the latest two line up as the next oopses until there is a serious attempt at an entirely beautiful package.

When they start making Zs again that don't look like too much like anything but another Z-with out walking too far from the original story-that's when I'll think about trading dollars for a new Z.

My thought is two stories written in Japanese but thirty years apart will share a great number of words, but probably no meaning-unless the moral is the same. The 350Z was advertised to be the current version of the 240Z...tell me it is all you want-we both know better!

Hopefully two strikes will get someones attention...but

If they came up with something similar to the Ariel Atom but with a complete selection of bolt in/on upgrades(everything not in the shared parts bins(body kits) could be aftermarket.) they would have something-they are already building erector set kit cars-just not selling them at less than completely assembled.

Will

When they start making Zs again that don't look like too much like anything but another Z-with out walking too far from the original story-that's when I'll think about trading dollars for a new Z.

Will

I agree Will. When I first read many years ago that Nissan was resurrecting the Z and it was said that they would not stray far from the original concept. A 2 seater, with great handling, quick acceleration and a decent price. I saw several sketches and some were at least slightly reminiscent of the 1st gen car. Then they came out with the 350? It wasnt love at first sight for me but I do admit, they have grown on me over time.

I would love to see a retro model, not quite as radical as the mockup but along the same lines.

• 1 month later...

The grille on that intrigues me, the upright old Z cabin does nothing for the modern styling cues though... It looks like one of those Soviet cars where they've only updated/modernized the face since 1950. The rest of that concept is pure cartoon as far as I'm concerned.

A few days ago I think Jalopnik or Autoblog published some freeway shots of a near undisguised mock-up, and then quickly took them down :P

It had the same rear window treatment as everything seemed to say it would, as well as apparently maxima styled front/rear lights. The flares were WAY bigger...

With a more conventional set of headlights, better looking wheels, and a sharper front bumper end(or the visual effect there of) that would be a nice looking car.

making the headlight covers look windswept should be a removable decal, and the covers should be tailored to fit the lights.

Will

I read yesterday (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121807669397319543.html?mod=djemITP)

Chrysler is in negotiation with Nissan to have cars built for them. They stated that the chasis and engines would be the same but the cars would be designed differently. Maybe with the Chrysler design team...Viper blood and the Charger, and new Challenger retro designs they would be interested in the retro 240Z. Since Nissan can't get the new designs right...

Anyone know anyone at Chrysler to send the drawings to??LOL