IGNORED

Successful skin graft (roof skin, that is)

Arne

Arne,

I just found this thread and the earlier one when you were considering your options, and found inspiration and hope for my project. After uncovering the mess in my roof last night I was wondering how in the world I was going to deal with it. But with all the research and input (esp. Carl Beck) I can see my way out. I really appreciate all the pics and input, once again this site saved my bacon.

How much did it cost for the labor etc. and how long did it take????

thanks,

Carl B.

Carl,

I had this done on the yellow Z that I used to have. It was part of the total repaint so I am not sure how long it took but I do recall the bodyman was pissed and would never do another per his boss's comments. Apparently if any bodywork has ever been done on the donor roof, it will stretch and be a real bear to get right. My donor roof apparently looked like it had been hailed on underneath the paint. Choose your donor carefully apparently. Perhaps roof sections are available as new sheet metal???

Never thought about a new skin. Part number 73102-E4100, still shows as a good number from Courtesy and NissanParts.cc, albeit at $550 or more. Luckily the donor I had was totally straight.

post-8596-14150806983193_thumb.png

Never thought about a new skin. Part number 73102-E4100, still shows as a good number from Courtesy and NissanParts.cc, albeit at $550 or more. Luckily the donor I had was totally straight.

Courtesy Nissan has been trying to sell this one on ebay with a BIN of $1,200 for the past several weeks. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Datsun-S30-Roof-Skin-73102-E4100-70-78-Z-Coupes_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZQ7c301Q3a1Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a30QQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em14Q2el1262QQhashZitem3ef407c21cQQitemZ270382121500QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories. Surprisingly, they haven't had any takers.

-Mike

I didn't, I paid Scott to do it!

On the red car he didn't drill at all, he used a grinder to grind through the spot welds without going all the way through the layer below.

But he drilled all the way through the welds on the donor roof. (Note the holes in the picture below.) That way he said he could weld the holes in the new skin to solid metal underneath.

attachment.php?attachmentid=23180&d=1210910136

You so wise Arne!

I'm tempted to trailer it up to Scott

If you do, stop by in the Eugene-area on the way, I've got a bottle homebrew stout with your name on it. But you must pick it up in person...

:beer: