IGNORED

hood vents

z2b

I personally think that Nissan was just trying to add something different to their last go rouund of the S30. JMO. Look how fancy they got with hood vents on the ZXs. Are those things even open? Sorry Zx people, but I really don't know.

To answer your question Stephen, yes they are open. The early version (as on my car) of the vents seem to simply allow the heat from the engine to dissipate quicker when stationary. I would imagine (but have no way of testing) that they also help with air circulation while driving (only makes sense, that). The later version vents (originally on the turbo cars only, later on all s130 cars) seems more functional at speed. The left hand vent seems designed to pull air down into the bay, and aims this fresh air directly at the J pipe and intake manifold. The vent is in two parts-the "triangular" part, and the trapezoid.

Both sides of the ZXT hood have this rather large (and ugly-IMO) trapezoid, and it is obviously meant to get as much hot air out as possible.

Looks like this is turning into a "fuel vapor lock" thread.

I am looking for some guidance on some hood vents. I bought a used hood from a guy that swore up and down it was for a '71z. I don't believe it is b/c it has two plastic louvered hood vents. Not wanting to argue with him, and b/c it was better than my smashed up hood from the P/O, I purchased it anyway.

Anyone with first hand knowledge please chime in; This hood has a metal deflector pan under (engine side) one of the vents while the other side sits open to atmosphere. Is it supposed to have a metal deflector pan under both sides or just one? Does it have a practical purpose?

I will post some pictures later today or tomorrow to help with id. Thanks in advance.

al

Thanks. I thought as much. I'm just curious as to "why" only one side has the metal deflector. With FI I don't see a need for it.
Obviously you mean without FI you don't see a need for it but remember that's also where your carbs and air cleaner, etc. are.

Yes, you are right. Carburated engines are more suceptible to water damage. Which is why I see absolutely no need to have them with FI. I'll chalk it up to Nissan wanting variety in the model year (parts is parts and they cost $).

Yes' date=' you are right. Carburated engines are more suceptible to water damage. Which is why I see absolutely no need to have them with FI. I'll chalk it up to Nissan wanting variety in the model year (parts is parts and they cost $).[/quote']

I think you misunderstood Stephen. And I'd say that the electronics of the FI is much more susceptible to malfunctioning from water than carbs. In all the "I washed my engine and now my car won't start" posts that have come and gone I've never seen one where the issue was that the carbs got water in them. It's always the distributor that is the problem. I'd take the shield off.

• 1 month later...