IGNORED

Mid_Eastern Meet Guaging interest?

streeteg

• 3 weeks later...

I'm so new to my Z that I haven't even driven it yet - it's in my friend's garage until I get insurance lined up! Keep me posted, I'd love to get together with fellow Z owners. Anyone want to take a ride up to Bear Mountain - its a beautiful winding twisty road!

Another NJ location checking in here! I'm in Monmouth County- on the shore east of Red Bank, (GSP exit 109) where I might have one of the very few 240Z's around. They're so rare around here that yesterday I pulled up next to a pretty girl at a stoplight in a 350Z convertible, and she asked me what kind of car I was driving! Yikes...

Since I brought my sweetie out of mothballs after nearly 15 years of storage, and since I started driving it daily about 2 weeks ago, almost everywhere I go I get stopped and usually end up having a nice conversation with people that either used to own a Z, wish they did, or want to!

This area is actually quite "famous" for having a very serious summer car culture, as best represented by our local songwriter (and neighbor) Bruce. You've heard of him I think. :D Cruising along the beach in your favorite car in the summer had been a way of life for many around here- for decades- especially in Asbury Park- which unfortunately had fallen on hard times, but is now in the midst of a rebirth. It's still very common to see tons of cool custom and sports cars cruising around up and down the boulevards bordering the seashore in most of the beach communities around here, from Sea Bright, south to Belmar and Spring Lake.

I'm in the midst of a serious mechanical restoration of my sweetheart- 2/71 240Z, all original except for the 5-speed from what I assume to be a turbo version, as it has a very short first gear. 920 gold over black and under 70k miles- on the engine and body at least!

Every Wednesday night from 6-9PM at a local restaurant in Neptune, they have a Hot Rod get-together. It gets between 50-200 cars, made up of about 50% true hot rods, around 25% muscle cars, and the rest well diversified. It's a lot of fun to meet and greet other car-lovers, but I would love to have more (any!) Zeds showing up there. I do my best to represent, as my girl certainly garners a whole lot of attention- being an especially rare car, in great condition, in a very rare color.

As much fun as the mixed meets might be, I would LOVE to have a dedicated Z get-together- especially as the weather gets warmer. There are some fantastic locations in the area that would easily accommodate dozens- to hundreds of cars- with every service imaginable...I can dream can't I?

post-16786-14150803253258_thumb.jpg

post-16786-14150803253897_thumb.jpg

Red Bank? I am your virtual neighbor - in Freehold! We have a local Cruise Night every 3rd Thursday of the summer months. Haven't had my Z there yet, but if you go, perhaps we'll bump into each other.

Had my car out the other day, lot's of "nice car!" from kids and adults alike. She's not in the best of shape, but it's no scrap heap either, so I had fun with it.

I agree - there's hardly many of these cars around here anymore - certainly the climate and hazards (salt, traffic, etc) impacted it greatly. I'd love to do something at Old Bridge Twp. Raceway Park - they have import nights, as well as Buick, Ford, and Chevy events...why not a Z event?

FWIW

Red Bank? I am your virtual neighbor - in Freehold! We have a local Cruise Night every 3rd Thursday of the summer months. Haven't had my Z there yet, but if you go, perhaps we'll bump into each other.

Had my car out the other day, lot's of "nice car!" from kids and adults alike. She's not in the best of shape, but it's no scrap heap either, so I had fun with it.

I agree - there's hardly many of these cars around here anymore - certainly the climate and hazards (salt, traffic, etc) impacted it greatly. I'd love to do something at Old Bridge Twp. Raceway Park - they have import nights, as well as Buick, Ford, and Chevy events...why not a Z event?

FWIW

Cool. Howdy neighbor. I'm in Freehold all of the time, as a good friend lives there. I'll definitely check out your meeting later this month- if it's being held then- and you should look into the cruise-in in the parking lot at Beacon Street Grill on 66 in Neptune every Wednesday 6-9PM. Sometimes it's quiet and sometime it gets absolutely packed, but it's always fun, and the Grill has the best New England Clam Chowder this side of Essex Mass.!

If you see me at your Cruise, please come over and say hi, as I guarantee that I'll have the only original 920 Gold (orangish) Z there. :D

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My friend and I have been talking about putting together a Mid-Atlantic Japanese car club for a while. I have been to several of the local Z club meets but they a bit too political. It would be nice to have a group of all vintage Japanese cars that meet once every other month or so to just hang out, take some photos and do a group drive. The local Z meets have been dinners and wine tastings so far.

I have a really nice 72 510 and my dad has incredibly nice 70, 71, and 72 240z's. The local Z club doesn't seem to have that many 240 & 260's though. We are in Richmond VA. There seem to be a lot of 510 members in MD, NOVA and DC as well as NC.

Unfortunately my 510 was not ready for the East Coast meet this year :(

I would suggest an "informal" gathering at either Englishtown Raceway Park or the new NJ Motorsports Park in Millville, NJ.

It looks like we could get about 10+ people...there's an SVRA event going on at NJMP in August (Aug. 7-10). That would be a cool gathering to meet up at! There's also a Grand-Am race scheduled for Aug 28-31.

Who's in?

I've also looked into the NJMP Grand Am race too. I'd definitely go for one of the race days. But the summer is humming along, and I'd like to do something well before then too.

So, I'd also suggest the regular Wednesday night Cruise in I mentioned above, or perhaps a Cruise-In to Sandy Hook. I go there often, for the fabulous photography it offers, and the several great loop drives through the dunes, and along historic old buildings. There are huge parking lots, and a restaurant with decent food and beverages right on the ocean too. And good access to the local highways and Parkway.

These are easy ideas. I'd love to get together with other Z owners. As much as I enjoy the Wednesday night Cruise- they're all nice there, with no "car racism" and dozens of really nice, and some very rare or unusual cars- I'd still like to have one for Z cars, and older Datsuns too.