IGNORED

Dashboard Restoration - Material?

Duffman

I am looking at Dashboard Restorations, USA, to restore my trashed dash. They are out of the traditional "haircell" type of covering material and are sending me a sample of an alternative material, which I should get shortly. Any thoughts on type of cover I should use or not use? Anyone out there who has had their dashes recovered lately have any ideas or thoughts? If the haircell material is the desired cover, I can source that from another company, if need be.

I appreciate any input!

Thanks!

The only input I can offer is I assume its going to cost alot to do this, and for that price I would want to make sure it looked original. I might walk away if all I could get was an alternative covering. Maybe can you buy a crack free dash used for the same money?

• 2 years later...

I had my dash done by Dashboard Restorations and was extremely pleased with the results. The dash is in my garage--awaiting my 240 which is still at the body shop. I will post pictures once I install it.

Be careful with the so called 'uncracked dashes' that occassionally show up online. Make sure you can inspect it first--to see if the material still has some 'give'. You don't want it to crack as you're installing it in your car!

Edited by Rich1

duffman,

Hair cell is the closest texture to original, in my opinion, but it is not an exact match. I had my dashes done by DR years ago and was quite satisfied. I looked at a lot of textures and none were an exact match. I don't think there is an exact match. So don't worry about it.

I was pretty impressed by some of the results posted in this thread:

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23919

I'll probably go that route when the time comes. For now, I'm just afraid to look under the half cap a PO installed...

I did this to my dash as a temporary fix, I does look good. But I am seeing new cracks forming and the repairs do not look like they will last long. If you want you're car to look nice on a budget go with the full dash cap, If you whant it to be a show car send it in for repair and pay a $hit load of ca$h. My 2 cents (its all I have).