IGNORED

D Hubcaps

rtaylor

This weekend I had some time on my hands, so I refinished all 5 of my D hubcaps. I used Mother's chrome polish on the Chrome. I used SEM Landau Black on the D inserts. I taped the actual chrome D and then used an exacto knife to trim the tape. I used Duplicolor wheel paint. First time I tried the green 3m tape. I like it, much better than the blue painters tape. Although you can't see, there are some minor surface scratches on the outer chrome, but I think they came out great. I only attached a picture of one of the hubcaps. I have three big tab and two small tab hubcaps. Nice to have one spare.

This weekend I tackle refinishing the steel wheels. What's the consensus on the paint color of the outer rim face, gloss black? That's what it looks like to me.

post-9967-14150802411159_thumb.jpg

Randy, the original set of wheels I had were indistinguishable from Rustoleum flat black. I went so far as to paint half of one wheel, and you could not tell where the new paint started from more than 6 inches away.

That's what I though too Arne. However, there was a piece of black electrical tape that the PO put on the inside of the lip of the wheel to help the tangs not to slip on the hubcap. When I pealed that tape off, which was put on in 1972, the black paint looked like it had a gloss finish. Could be just some of the sticky stuff from the tape making it appear as if it were gloss.

Semi-gloss black exterior and zink silver grey interior and rim

Chris,

Wasn't there some pictures of your wheel and Bob Speight's wheel on the zhome concourz site. Did the color not change from semi gloss black to flat black on 8/70? I have a full set of flat black wheels all date stamped 11/70 which are flat black outer rim and gray inner rim.

It really only matters, I would imagine, if you are interested in exact concourz original appearance. Just an observation

Dan

Chris,

Wasn't there some pictures of your wheel and Bob Speight's wheel on the zhome concourz site. Did the color not change from semi gloss black to flat black on 8/70? I have a full set of flat black wheels all date stamped 11/70 which are flat black outer rim and gray inner rim.

It really only matters, I would imagine, if you are interested in exact concourz original appearance. Just an observation

Dan

Edit: Actually, according to the zhome information, the 8/70 date I mentioned applied to a change of tire model, not wheel color. The tires changed from Bridgestone Superspeed - 20 to Bridgestone HD - 150 tires.

My point was that the shade of black also changed in that general time reference from semi gloss to flat. Sorry about the inaccuracy in my post.

I only have two original wheels for my two cars. They both came from the spare tire well. Both had original tires on them as well. I felt the flat description was too flat and (probably) my semi-gloss description is too glossy. Also, consider how a paint will flatten out after all those years. They are black, no doubt. How flat or glossy? Who knows!