IGNORED

Honda Wiper Motor Upgrade for the 240Z

• 6 months later...

So while I'm doing the rebuild on my 260Z (2/74) I'm also doing the Honda wiper motor upgrade. The mid to later 73' 240Z's and the early 260Z's, as far as I have knowledge of, have intermittent wipers and they both have an intermittent box (relay, delay and amp) up in the passenger side kick panel.

Anyways, when most people try and do the wiper motor upgrade into S30's w/ intermittent wipers, they have issues (ie; stuttering, won't work, humming, etc) So after tracking and tracing wires for 2 hours today, I discovered that the intermittent box is attached to the wipers but not an integral part of the system. So just upplug it!!

After you unplug it, you should have no further issues. Then wire it up like normal (per the diagrams with the relay and you're good to go. But you won't have a delay circuit any more, unless you buy a delay circuit to instal with your Honda wiper motor upgrade.

Dave

By the way, the intermittent relay had 1) 4-pin connector with 4 wires and 1) 6-pin connector with 3 wires in it. That should help, when you're looking up in the relay section in the P.S. kick panel

• 2 weeks later...

I'd have to study the FSM to really know, but if it's anything like the 260Z, with the intermittent wiper delay unit (1) 4 pin and 1) 6 pin connecter, up in the passenger kick panel, the it's a possibility.

But remember that the Honda swap loses the stock wiper delay, so you'd have to do the relay system that I've posted before and buy a delay unit to get the intermittent wipers again.

Dave.

Bummer deal. I was hoping to do the Honda upgrade at some point but I"m not sure I want to eliminate the stock intermittent function on my 73. Do you think it is feasible to re-wire the stock delay box/relay/timer function using the information provided for adding an aftermarket delay as a guide, or would this be more trouble than it's worth in your opinion?

Well I guess it would have helped if I would have tested the 260Z wiring before parking the Z for tear down and rebuild.

The yellow wire is the key. Here's what I know.....

The Black ground wire is just that and doesn't go thru the delay unit (intermittent amp relay system)

The Blue/red is a Positive from the Acc relay and the fusebox.

The Blue (Low Speed) and the Blue/yellow (high speed) wires go directly from the switch to the motor.

The Blue/White and Blue/Red go to the delay unit.

Not real sure how the unit works but the L/W and L/R are tapped by the delay, so disconnecting the delay unit allows the wires to go directly to the motor (or relay in this case.

So if you want to turn on your wiper's delay unit and test the Yellow wire during and in between pulse to see if it's positive or negative and basically test all the wires and post your results. I've already messed up any chances of testing mine.

Knowing what the wires do when off and in delay mode as well as high and low will help me invision the answer. Like I usually do.

Dave

Hello Folks, I bring 2 pieces of good news. After looking at multiple spider legged 91 civic motor, I started doing some digging. It turns out I can verify the motor is the correct motor in a 92+ civic, which broadens the scope to:

ACURA INTEGRA GS (1997 - 2001)

ACURA INTEGRA GSR (1994 - 2001)

ACURA INTEGRA LS (1994 - 2001)

ACURA INTEGRA RS (1994 - 1998)

ACURA INTEGRA SPECIAL EDITION (1995 - 1996)

ACURA INTEGRA TYPE-R (1997 - 2001)

HONDA CIVIC CX (1992 - 1995)

HONDA CIVIC DEL SOL S (1993 - 1997)

HONDA CIVIC DEL SOL SI (1993 - 1997)

as well as 92-95 civic dx and ex's.

Now with this list there is a word of caution: The wrong motor might still be on the listed cars, but in the right place. So take EXTRA care The spider motors were inside the engine bay and didnt resemble thr right motor making it easy to spot them right away...The wrong motor is not the spider type but resembles the right 3 legged motor very closely. They are both under the plastic trim near the firewall/windshield I pulled the wrong motor out of a 94 civic. One difference I noted before I pulled out the second motor, is that from the back/top of the motor the right motor has its wire bunch going on top of its neck while the worng one didnt. the right one also has 3 mounting holes in a triangle while the wrong one only has 2 and a 3rd post with no threads in it. Study the pictures of the right motor before you go. Having a motor built in 2001 in a 70s car....Priceless Also these motors have the right shaft so you can just drill the mounting holes and bolt it in.

And next piece of good news... Here is the wiring for a 280z using stock delay module:

77' Datsun 280Z __________________ 92' Honda civic wiper motor

---------------------------_________Pin 86 -----blue/white

Yellow/black--------Pin 87A ________ Pin 87-------blue

----------------------------________ pin 30--------Chassis Ground

Blue/red----------------pin 85---------pin 85----------green/black

Black----------------------to------------------black

Blue/yellow----------------to-------------------blue/yellow

Fast, slow speed, intermit. and park all work with this setup. Ill double check this when I get home just to make sure im remembering it correctly, and Ill add a diagram of what is what incase your wiring is different and you have to figure it out,as its easier to figure out a circuit difference than the difference in car make/models. You can also buy a 4 prong relay if its all you can find instead of the 5, just put 280z yellow/blk and civic motor blue on the same 87 prong. Enjoy those bolt in 2001 motors that work with all settings and stock windshield wiper stalk control hehehehe AWESOME.

,Ryan

so my question was will the above work in my 78 without adding an aftermarked delay???

I'm kinda confused. and that ain't easy when it comes to this stuff. The above diagram makes no real sense (1st cup of coffee) What are the dotted lines on the datsun side? Are they the same color wire as the Honda side?

It looks like the Honda's Blue/white is the relays activation wire... doesn't the Datsun control that relay? I guess I'll have to see it in an actual drawing and working unit to truly understand it.

By the way Grantf, if it works on the 77' it should work on the 78'. Supposedly

Dave

I'm having the same trouble understanding the above diagram... I think after my dashboard is reinstalled in the car I will try the upgrade, looks like I will be figuring this out the hard way (but for the best). I'll keep you all informed....

where in Seattle are you? Maybe we can figure it out together? Maybe.

I wish the author would comment on the wire colors on the Datsun side. dotted lines don't tell me much, and I'd rather know for sure, rather than trial and ERROR!! Followed by smoke signals.

Dave

...and I'd rather know for sure, rather than trial and ERROR!! Followed by smoke signals.

Dave

Smoke signals, I hadn't quite heard anyone make that analogy. I did however know a mechanical engineer who used to claim that all electronics was smoke powered. As proof he pointed out that "...when the smoke escapes it quits working!" ROFL

I couldn't dispute him on that point.

where in Seattle are you? Maybe we can figure it out together? Maybe.

I wish the author would comment on the wire colors on the Datsun side. dotted lines don't tell me much, and I'd rather know for sure, rather than trial and ERROR!! Followed by smoke signals.

Dave

south seattle, I think I met you at golden gardens at the datsun drive in months ago. If you ever see my car hold you're nose it is a work in progress. the dash is out of the car till I fix the electrical bugs. I have the honda motor (three bolts looks just like the ones pictured in earler posts).

• Mike featured this topic