IGNORED

Canadian Z's whats their history?

back-to-zcars

Yes that is where it failed, the rust was in the frame rails and firewall floor area.

At the time I lived in the interior of B.C., after the car fell to the ground I had it inspected by I.C.B.C. and they laugh at me when I asked why they would not fix it. The repair you did looks good and will stiffen the whole car.

Dave

O got my '72 in Toronto in 2005. It looked awesome at 10 feet. Unfortunately it had an inch of paint on it and about 10 pounds of bondo in the body. I needed new floors and rails and 2 years and a few grand later its in the shop for prep and paint.

I also found a 71 parts car with a great interior on a farm just north. The body was rotten but I got a bunch of great parts out of her before I sent her to the crusher.

I wish I would have saved a bit more and went south for a rust free car, live and learn.

Unkle are all your cars for sale? If so i'm sorry your getting out of them:disappoin but i hope they stay in the Great White North.

Dave

Well , I also have a Canadian early 1967 L520 pickup that came from Ontario. It's been restored , what a let down those 67 horses compared to the z car at almost 250 ! Both were sold here in Canada . British Columbia had some of the earliest cars come through in 1970 , as well as really early pickups , no one seems to know this ! I guess Vancouver being a large port city helped as well ! I'm in Victoria , and there's a few rare ones here , like unknown z cars with the real early GRAY dash components , not black ! The climate on Vancouver Island is probably the most moderate in all of Canada , maybe that's why cars last longer . An Island car or truck carries a 10 - 15 % premium over other areas ( salt in winter ). :)

I think there was a thread similar to this last year, but like grandpa Simpson I don't mind telling a story a second time (perhaps with a different twist to make it more interesting).

I got my first Z in 77 it was a red (orange) 71, bought in Victoria BC off a used car lot - it was in the same row as the Corvettes, Tbirds, Chargers, Camaros, Mustangs, Comets, Vegas, vw bugs, couple of Chevettes .... way down at the end a Z - looked perfect, interior was like new - turned out later the rear quarters had a couple of pounds of bondo. Anyway to me it was the best looking car there. It had two levers 1 for choke and the other I later figured out was a form of throttle control - nice.

I abused that car beyond any resonable expectation for a couple of years, befor I realized it was likely going to be my tomb. Tarped it for a while (after a significant accident) and sold it to a guy who poured a pile of cash into it only to write it off on a freeway.

I spent 20 odd years wishing I had that car back (occasionally dreaming about it) and three years ago I saw one for sale on an internet car site, got me thinking and after a few months of searching I found a 280 in California I could manage. When it arrived (shipped by rail) I was both excited and concerned - what the hell had I done - the car was only $2400, but the shipping (I still can't say it out loud) was the killer. To my very pleasent suprise the Ebay vendor was 100% honest - although not perfect the car was in very good condition (as one would expect from a California car) 71,000 miles, almost 0 rust, took it out for a drive almost right off the trailer. Driving it was like steering a sailboat, you had to keep some helm on her on a windy day to keep her on the road and there was a slack point amidships where the wheel did nothing - the steering and suspension was shot. I took it to an appraiser so I could get it insured - $7000. Spent a winter working on her, handles like new now and now she brings me pleasure every day.

I was drifting a bit, mmm.. What was the question again? ..... oh ya and thats how I invented the toilet.

Bought my first 240 in '84; it was a '72 with minor rust issues but overall in very good shape. Was working at the local speed shop then, and a guy just walked in and offerered to sell it to me, knowing i was looking for one. Didn't do much to it other than proper maintenance and it got stolen in '86. then bought a '73 in a sad, bad & unfinished condition. This prompted me to scavenge and strip every 240Z in salvage yards in the area to build a stockpile of replacement parts, as many of these parts are now on my '73.

Both my 240Z came from St-Hyacinthe. ( a little place between Montreal and Quebec city). Now there's snow on the ground, so my '73 is stashed away for winter.

I bought my '72 in '82 here in Ottawa through a private sale....with just under 50K miles on it...it now has ~ 106K miles and remains original mechanically (except for the rust). We bought our '83 ZXT 2+2 (family Zed) in '03 from the original owner in Belleville and it came with the original bill of sales from the Belleville, Ontario Datsun dealer (Vader Motors?). I can trace the ownership of the '77 280Z back to '93 when it purchased through a private sale in Hamilton and brought to Kingston. I bought it this past September.

Gordon Garrard