IGNORED

Canadian Z's whats their history?

back-to-zcars

My son sold me his car to finance his schooling, so i'm back to owning a z car. A 72 240z that we found in LA flew down to pick up and drove back. Since then I have also bought a 71 parts car out of Oregon and a 73 from Calgary.

Once the Z bug bites it bites hard! LOL

My Question is for other Z owners from Canada How did you find your car, where did they come from, and how long have you had them?

Dave

Bought my first one a 71 240z in 83, drove it year round for two years. Decided to fix it up, bought a 72 parts car. Found too much frame damage on the 71. Stripped it and sent the scrap yard. Have had the parts and the 72 sitting around ever since. decided to try again about a month ago. Bought a 73 240z in Lethbrige and it came with a 71 parts car. Will have the parts car stripped out by tomorrow and can start rebuilding the 73. All four cars are Alberta cars so lots of rust.

Dan

I have an early Jan 1970 240Z , VIN 0000538 , bought 3 years ago in Vancouver ( for sale ) . Also a Dec 1970 COMPLETE parts car ( rusty ). Also I have a crack free , complete 1972 dash with all gauges + wiring (for sale ) . Seats for an early 240 as well , and a dual hand throttle / choke assembly and many other parts . Too many cars, not enough room or time ...:cry:

Always loved Z cars...

#1. Bought my first one August 2 years ago on Ebay. The red 1971 240Z (wanted a 1971 as the was the year I was born). Needed more work than anticipated, but had it done (search for the evil Ebay thread...full story posted there). New brakes, new front end components, bit of a touch up to one of the frame rails and she's good to go. Scoots like hell (engine has always run perfectly, fires up every time, even in -15C weather in the garage). Now she's at the point mechanically tight and where she can be driven anywhere and a great 20' car but I need to attack the body / cosmetics (doors, hatch, then to the painters). She's an absolute blast to drive and has been on many a tour (see the galleries) this summer.

#2. Left my corporate job (and company car) this January and as part of the exit package I was given a car allowance for 6 months. I did the math, and instead of leasing a car and having nothing to show for it at the end, why not buy another Z? The downside was that it was January and I would have to drive it through the winter...but whatever condition the vehicle was in at the end, it would be essentially a free car...so why not? I found an immaculately maintained 1987 300ZX in Niagara Falls. Mileage was on the high end (215,000 km's) but the vehicle had had all its work done at the dealership and, other than a little bit of a sloppy automatic transmission, was perfect. Got the car, had the tranny rebuilt and she was my daily driver from January until August. She's in good enough shape that I'm likely going to send her to the paint shop as well for a refresh (eliminate rock chips, one small rust spot on rear wheel well).

#3. Not much to tell yet as I need to get it picked up in San Diego and brought home. A silver 1977 280Z that will need a little bit of work but seems solid and will make for a neat project (yet another...).

I bought my '72 just 2 years ago and it was an original California car that spent time in Indiana before moving to British Columbia. pretty much rust free with the exception of tired floors that are being replaced this winter. It runs like a scalded dog and I can't wipe the stupid smile off my face when I drive it...too much fun

Picked up my 71 on eBay almost a year ago from Colorado. Rust free car that was never driven in the rain until I went to Victoria this summer with my son...then it was in the rain for pretty much 2 weeks:(. Haven't had any issues with the car and I plan on throwing as much money into it for upgrades (better brakes, suspension, etc.) that my wife will allow or not find out aboutLOL. There's not too many Z's in this part of the country so it attracts alot of attention. It's a absolute blast to drive and at this point in time I don't think there is enough money in the world that would tempt me into selling it. The Z bite goes deep and I'm pretty sure there's no cure!

I have an early Jan 1970 240Z , VIN 0000538 , bought 3 years ago in Vancouver ( for sale ) . Also a Dec 1970 COMPLETE parts car ( rusty ). Also I have a crack free , complete 1972 dash with all gauges + wiring (for sale ) . Seats for an early 240 as well , and a dual hand throttle / choke assembly and many other parts . Too many cars, not enough room or time ...:cry:

Unkle are all your cars for sale? If so i'm sorry your getting out of them:disappoin but i hope they stay in the Great White North.

Dave

Wow, nice car hot rod. How did you find it? With all the upgrades listed on your cardomain site, it looks like the suspension and brakes have already been upgraded. What do you plan to do? Again a very nice car it's good to have so many local.

Dave

Thanks. Just spent countless hours on the computer searching for a Z that was what I was looking for. Suspension in it now is just springs, shocks and bushing upgrades, brakes are still stock (disc front/drums rear). Arizona Z has some very trick control arm/mustache bar/brake conversions that would cut some weight and improve performance. Fairly pricey but looks like it's worth it. Other than that I'm happy with the engine setup/performance about the only thing I'd like would be a 5-speed.

Like many of you who bought their cars from points south, so did I. In my case, only as far south as the Boston area, so I brought home a rusty, crusty, dusty ‘70Z that is being slowly massaged back into shape. I needed another hobby project since I am retired with too much free time on my hands. It’s a fun car to work on and I learn more about it every day either from working on it or hanging out here absorbing the collective knowledge of all you guys. I don’t move as fast as I once did, but I have taken pictures of all the nastiness that I uncovered, and what I’ve done with it. Hope to share them before too long. Seems like there are not many Zs originally sold in Canada that have survived our harsh winter climate and road conditions.

Ebay description sounded better than it was (no surprise), but it was only $1700.00. A drop in the bucket compared to what's going into it now.

....Seems like there are not many Zs originally sold in Canada that have survived our harsh winter climate and road conditions.

Thats what prompted my Question in the first place. My original 71 240 that was my first car at 17 in 1980. She died a fast death after hitting a frost heave at 75+ MPH the front end let go of the fire wall leaving just the drive train holding it together. After inspecting the undersides the rust was so bad on the frames it was incredable the car went around a corner without coming apart. I am my future wife were very fortunate that this happened braking at a stop light, and not at the speed I was going when I hit the rise in the road. That car was replaced with a 72 that I got too many points to keep. After a twenty-three year absence a Datsun is back in the Garage.

Dave