IGNORED

Triple Carb vs. Holley 4BBL Carb

red_dog007

i dunno, 2 throats does not equal 6 throats. even with crappy tuning, SUs can run pretty well. try a crappy tune on triples and it's pretty nasty. that being said, although triples are a lot like tuning downdraught webers, SUs are a lot like tuning the simplest of motorcycle carbs, especially since many motorcylces even used SUs. just fromn personal experience, it's a lot easier to hold two tubes to your ears than it is six ;)

For the record, unless you get into fixing twisted throttle shafts, you only balance 3 throats on triples. So it's 2 vs 3, not 2 vs 6. Balancing triples is super easy. It's getting the jetting right that people have trouble with.

Going back to the original question about which carbs to choose for his L24, I'd suggest that the degree of modification to his engine will help make that decision for him. If the key engine breathing components (head, cam, exhaust) are stock, then it's likely that his max HP will be the same (or pretty darn close) with all 3 if they are properly tuned. If he has modified those components, then the problem with the SUs is that the only way to adjust the mixture at different RPM/Flows is to grind the needles. This is not a very easy process to master, and is clearly not reversable if you go to far (throw those needles out and start with the next pair). That is a significant benefit in my mind for the triple webers/mikunis on a modified L series engine - you can tune separately for idle, part throttle, and WOT. Of course, the jets are NOT cheap.

I've not worked on 4 barrels on a Z so don't know how much/little tuning flexibility there is.

Screw the politics , why not try a single 2'' SU with a turbo ?

Mine needs NO tuning or screwing around with , brings on really good power , and gets great mpg ! It's out of a Jag , pre turbo , 5 lbs boost , whoosh ! :classic: