IGNORED

Triple Carb vs. Holley 4BBL Carb

red_dog007

For a 240z, with Stage II cam, 1980zx distributor, exhaust system, what would be better.

40mm Triple Carb kit, or the Holley 4BBL Carb? How would these two compare in availble performance for the L24? The Holley does seem like it would be nice as I wouldn't have to keep 3 Carbs in sync, but only if it is worth it. Would it even be much better then stock Carbs?

Again, there are several Bible Creek Hillclimb (Oregon) records held by 2.8L Z's with standard issue 46mm Hitachis.

There is such a thing as the "Unique" factor and there is the "best" factor. Throw away the latter for the former, what's the gain? I don't understand the attitude that rejects out of hand the format NISSAN engineering chose when these cars were in production......

I'd have to agree. For the best overall performance, use the S.U.'s. By the time you fiddle around with that Holley to the point that it more or less works, all you end up with is a compromise. And bad gas mileage. I, personally, don't know of anyone that ever got the tuning right on a Holley 4bbl equipped L series. And, unless you plan to do more to that L24 than you described in your post, the same goes for 40mm triples. I don't understand the tuning question as a factor of whether or whether not to use a particular induction system on 240Z's. What's so hard about tuning S.U.'s? They're much easier than dialing in Holleys, Webers, Mikunis, etc.

Save money and keep the best setup (non race), the SUs!! esp. with the stock air filter housing (pre 73)...

Best no-brainer in the history of the world (to quote a local mortgage radio ad)...

Fuel/air has a straight line to the head with the 3 carb / SU setup...the 4 barrel setup, the air/fuel has a lot of travel to go through, and it's not in a straight line. I've heard of people on here doing that setup, but eventually going back to the SU setup...as there isn't a significant increase in anything...

Again, there are several Bible Creek Hillclimb (Oregon) records held by 2.8L Z's with standard issue 46mm Hitachis.

Making power is one thing. Getting a record at a hillclimb is another. Triples make more hp than dual SU's, and I think you'd be hard pressed to prove me wrong on that one. The 4 barrel manifold is junk sold to rednecks who grew up with Chevys and are too lazy to figure out how to tune SU's.

That's my take on it anyway.

Jmortensen, I can say the same for putting a small block in a Z- lazy front heavy garbage. In my opinion

You might want to do some research on your opinion. While you are entitled to be wrong, the new Chevy V8's (LS) and older Ford V8's (302) are lighter than the L6. Lot's of guys over at Hybrid Z running more weight on the rear of the car than the front due to the heavier trans and diff required to handle their new "lazy" engine's power. After the swap is complete they usually do end up gaining weight overall, but it almost all gets added on to the rear of the car and not the front assuming a more modern engine setback like the JTR, MSA, or John's Cars setups.

But that's all a bit of a thread jack, so we should keep it confined to the fact that triples make more power than duals. Don't believe me? Call Rebello, take a look at what Nissan ran on the CP cars back in the day, see what GT3 Z engines use, FP cars, etc.

In 1974 I discarded the factory SUs on my 1970 Z in favor of triple Mikuni-Solex carbs. Coupled with a BRE 3/4 cam, those carbs added what feels like an extra 100 hp to the otherwise, mostly-stock L24. I can now understand the current gen's love affair with nitrous....we just did it the old-fashioned way.