IGNORED

Early Hood Differences

26th-Z

There has been a conversation going around my e-mail about early hoods (bonnets) and the differences between them. A couple of friends are pouring money into their restorations and the rest of the low VIN club guys are watching with delight. The conversation got on to hoods one day and I rushed home to have a look at what I have.

Of course, you all know that Princess 27th of the rust brothels in Dover, Delaware is pretty trashed. I bought a hood from a guy who swore it was a very early '70 style. 27th's hood is trashed, but like most of her, its original.

So I lined the two up and compared. The major question being; "Is there a difference between the hoods of the early model years" and "Can a replacement hood be made to look like an original early (1969 build) because a 69 hood is unobtanium. Read on to see what I came up with.

Please feel free to add photos of your hoods along with model year. How many different hoods are there?

post-4148-1415080097215_thumb.jpg

A big difference appears on the rear inner rail. The blue hood has a punch-out and the metal pressing around it is different. See how the pressing is raised?

The huge difference is a gusset plate in the back corners of the hood. The metal folds are different as well.

So the blue hood is very different and not the early style it was purported to be. I'm curious to see what other variations there are. Have a look at your hood and lets collect some pictures!

post-4148-14150800975233_thumb.jpg

post-4148-14150800975784_thumb.jpg

There has been a conversation going around my e-mail about early hoods (bonnets) and the differences between them. A couple of friends are pouring money into their restorations and the rest of the low VIN club guys are watching with delight. The conversation got on to hoods one day and I rushed home to have a look at what I have.

So I lined the two up and compared. The major question being; "Is there a difference between the hoods of the early model years" and "Can a replacement hood be made to look like an original early (1969 build) because a 69 hood is unobtanium. Read on to see what I came up with.

Chris,

I took a look at Kats web site, and under the heading of "Original Details" there is a subsection, "inside hood", where he gives his explanation of early vs. later hoods.

In his explanation, the earlier hoods had no cutouts on either side of the hood latch hardware and no cutouts in the outside edges of the hood. If this were the case, it appears that your green hood is the earlier of the two shown.

Kats seems to be pretty accurate in these matters and it would be interesting to know the vins which defined these early characteristics.

You may have already seen this Chris, but, if not, hope it helps explain the differences.

Dan

I can tell you with all certainty that the green hood is circa October 1969. But that's what got me going to photograph the two and show that there are far more differences than the holes on either side of the hood latch. In fact, the entire pressing profile of the inner rail is different. My biggest surprise was to see the reinforcement gusset plate in the back corners of the hood.

Chris,

#237 looks like #26 (no corner reinforments or holes on either side of the hood release. However, my 72 does not have these holes either. Also note the difference in the hood release itself. The one on #237 is flat and the one on my 72 is angled at the top.

-Mike

post-9102-14150800976472_thumb.jpg

post-9102-14150800977089_thumb.jpg