IGNORED

Dash Lights

Shakey

Just had the exact same problem with the MSA bulbs. I had used them without any issues on my 280Z, but they don't fit in the 240Z's gauges. I ended up shattering two of them inadvertently trying to get them working, photo of the bulbs attached.

Wish I'd seen this thread, but I went ahead and ordered those Eiko ones. I wish I'd known about them, talk about cheap! That's awesome! Hopefully they'll work without any problems.

As for MSA's R&D, I stopped by to explain the problem and the guy there was very receptive, saying he'd heard about that happening on a few 240Zs but was unsure why. Since I have some new gauges on the way, I offered to give him my gauge pods for analysis and he accepted. Hopefully this will be taken to heart and it'll never happen again. :beer:

post-19131-1415081280768_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I purchased the Eiko A-72 bulbs from PlanetBulb - dirt cheap bulbs that arrived super quick. Mechanic swapped out the MSA bulbs for the fuel/oil pressure/clock with the Eiko and left the MSA bulbs for the tach and speedo. No more flickering or non-functional lights in my dashboard!

• 3 weeks later...
on a somewhat related matter, has anyone used MSA Parking Light Relay Harness?

http://www.thezstore.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=12-4652

Its suppose to divert more volts to the interior dash lights. Wondering if I should get this or swap out the bulbs like the ones mentioned from PlanetBulb or both?

Both.

The parking light relay harness is made by a member here, Zs-ondabrain, and it's a great product. There are numerous threads on this forum about it, try searching some terms like "parking light harness" or "parking light relays."

The main reasons you want this are not just to make the bulbs brighter, but for safety and reliability. Most 240Z fuse blocks I've seen have major issues with the section holding the parking light/dash fuse. Probably one of the single worst design choices in the 240Z, routing so much current through the combo switch and fuse box... Add in some light corrosion just from age, and that current produces some serious heat. Mine was thoroughly melted.

Had to source a fuse box from a lower-mileage car, and had Dave (Zs-ondabrain) rebuild my combination switch. With the parking light harness, I need not worry about stuff melting down again.

The headlight harness he makes (which MSA also sells) is also an excellent product. Do some searching for that too

Edited by Inf
Corrected Zs-ondabrain's username

As for MSA's R&D, I stopped by to explain the problem and the guy there was very receptive, saying he'd heard about that happening on a few 240Zs but was unsure why. Since I have some new gauges on the way, I offered to give him my gauge pods for analysis and he accepted. Hopefully this will be taken to heart and it'll never happen again. :beer:

You should just link him to this thread! Plenty of discussion here to justify them changing their bulb source...

Thanks Andrew,

And to add as well as repeat, After as much as 40 years of service, resistance builds up in the circuits. This causes much heat in the fuses, contacts, wiring and connections.

From the Battery to the actual first lights in the Parking light circuit, there is....

* over 12 feet of old wiring

* over 10 connection points

* 2 fuses and 1 switch

* as much as 15+ amps going thru that circuit anytime it's on.

You own a 71' 240Z. My upgrades are 240Z based and all are Plug and Play. They use stock Datsun Plugs and the OEM mounting holes and bolts for grounding.

As for adding higher wattage bulbs, you're only requiring more of the system that is failing already. The Parking light harness will repair the issue at hand AND allow the higher wattage bulbs to actually be brighter, without harm to the system.

Dave

on a somewhat related matter, has anyone used MSA Parking Light Relay Harness?

http://www.thezstore.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=12-4652

Its suppose to divert more volts to the interior dash lights. Wondering if I should get this or swap out the bulbs like the ones mentioned from PlanetBulb or both?

I have Dave's Headlight harness & parking light harness upgrade. He also rebuilt my turn signal/headlight switch very inexpensively.

I have a 76 280Z and I had to provide a couple of additional plugs for the headlight harness. His work is OUTSTANDING and would recommend getting all of his products. You won't be disappointed.

Dave Ruiz

• 4 weeks later...

ya, the other four or only used periodically, as compared to the 7 gauge lights.

If you buy brighter lights, beware. some are too big and hit the green lens on the inside of the gauge, and won't allow you to instal the socket into the gauge cause it hits the lens.

If you wanna go all out, remove the gauges, disassemble them, remove the green lenses, clean and paint a very reflective paint on the inside, and on the upper lip (so as to reflect the light onto the gauge face) then reassemble and instal. And instal one of my Parking light upgrade harnesses to get the most out of the lights.

Dave

ya, the other four or only used periodically, as compared to the 7 gauge lights.

If you buy brighter lights, beware. some are too big and hit the green lens on the inside of the gauge, and won't allow you to instal the socket into the gauge cause it hits the lens.

If you wanna go all out, remove the gauges, disassemble them, remove the green lenses, clean and paint a very reflective paint on the inside, and on the upper lip (so as to reflect the light onto the gauge face) then reassemble and instal. And instal one of my Parking light upgrade harnesses to get the most out of the lights.

Dave

i was actually considering permanently removing the green half bubble lense cover. would it be too bright if i left it out? or are you suggesting i actually paint the insides of the green bubble?

i was measuring the size of the bulb space yesterday night. i ended up buying smd led bulbs, just 20mm in length.

i installed the parking light harness already, although honestly, i dont see much of a difference (hence why i'm changing the bulbs out). but i'm reading the harness is more of a preventive measure.