What's a fair price for Libres? - Wheels & Brakes - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

What's a fair price for Libres?

Featured Replies

What's a fair price for a set of real American Racing 14x5.5 Libres, with no curb rash? I've spotted a set locally, and need to figure out how high I'm willing to go on price.

I would think a good price for those would be $300, without tires and in the condition you describe. Original centercaps (not tawain replacements) will add to the price as would tires in good shape. I have sold Libre copies for $75 ea. in the past. As everything, how bad do you want them?

Mark

  • Author
As everything, how bad do you want them?
That is the question. I love Libres, but my wife is not that fond of them. And I really like the high polish flash of my current wheels on my red 240Z, but still think a set of Libres would be nice to have. Problem is, I'll probably have to buy the entire car to get them, and it is - without a doubt - the rustiest 240Z I have EVER seen. I'm not sure that the wheels are worth the effort to part out a very terminal car.

Some links where you might find approximate value:

http://kmhafer.datsun510.com/wheelchart.htm

http://www.akhwheels.com/pages/showWheel.php?pk=15

http://www.altaylorsportscars.com/wheels/

^^set of 13*5.5's for $200, but I assume you're looking for 14's^^

Some caps:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Datsun-Libre-Caps-American-Racing-US-Indy-Cal-500_W0QQitemZ120128919374QQihZ002QQcategoryZ43961QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Datsun-Libre-LeMans-Hex-caps-American-Racing-Nissan_W0QQitemZ120128903009QQihZ002QQcategoryZ43961QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

See if you can scare up some Watanabes :squareeye

FYI...the ones I got were Chowini Racing Rims (Hayashi molds). They look roughly like this on (this is a 280Z, not my 240Z mind you)...

IMGP1557.jpg

Good hunting...

I have been looking for a set for about two years, so I have a feeling for the price... The way I have experienced it, a real nice set without curb rash, etc. will likely be selling for around $500.00+ If you end up spending much less than that it seems that you end up buying a bunch of rash, etc., that will cost considerably to remedy (your time or your money). Actually I've seen them sell for about that much plus another $100.00 for shipping! Seems like the price on these has spiked in the last several years.... I guess there are too many boomers like me looking to have a set. I just got a real nice set of Western's with a whole car attached for that amount, so Libre's, as much as I'd love to have a set, will be taking the back seat until I stumble across a nice set that is priced to my taste.

Good luck with that Arne.... If they are fairly priced don't let them sit too long while you think about it! Let me know how you make out. I'd like to share your joy on that find!!

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Arne,

The guy parked behind me at the Canby show this weekend had a set of American Racing Libres for sale for $350. I already have two sets of Shelby Viper (libre style) wheels for my cars, otherwise I would have bought them. He sold them a little while after I looked at them. I think that is probably on the low end for a decent set. Most of the ones I have seen on ebay go for $400-600 plus shipping.

-Mike

Arne,

I bought a set of filthy Libres three years ago for $400 only to find, after I cleaned them up and dismounted the old tires, that they were not a matching set. Fortunatley, the seller took them back and I only lost my cleaning efforts. Then I bought a set from a guy in North Carolina who was a notorious internet frauder. Lost $350 on that set.

So I decided to buy Watanabes instead.

I might suggest that any wheel you buy in any condition is in fact used and that you consider having the wheels restored no matter what condition they appear to be in when you buy them. Therefore, a little curb rash that makes them inexpensive to begin with is a good thing.

Chris

Arne,

I still have the set we talked about earlier, so if you don't want to buy that whole car, let me know. Once again, they are knockoffs in decent condition. They do need cleaning/polishing, but could be made to look nice.

  • Author
Arne,

Are they the ones on Craiglist, silver car?

Yup. The car is a total loss. The wheels are by far the best part.

I have been sitting on a set of Shelby Vipers since I bought them new in 1975 I have new center caps (Shelby) and new tires mounted. I was going to put them on my V8 project but that's not going to happen anytime soon. You may see them on Ebay soon.

  • 2 weeks later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.