IGNORED

1973 - 1977 Corvette

rdefabri

If you're looking at the plastic bumpers, dont unless its a rare one like the 454. My dad has a 72 454 vert. and should be getting a 2nd flight award this June. I have some videos on youtube.com search 72 454 xxjoeyxxeb is my login name. theres 3 I think. Its warbonnet yellow. As far as performance, its the only old car I've driven that is stock and its cushy and sways. (my Z has urethane bushings and new suspension so I have no real comparison). But in a straight line, even though 72 is when the emissions kicked the 454 in the but, its still pretty darn quick at the light with a mustang gt.

Sticker - you are right, my bad. The L82 never dropped below 205 (1975). The L48, however did go pretty low, 165 HP in the same year. At a curb weight of ~3,500 pounds, that's a dog for sure. Even at 205 HP, that's a lot of weight to move.

bobc - I'd argue the Z is the better investment. Maybe the price of entry is lower, but the rate of appreciation is greater. I know most here are not Keith Martin/SCM fans, but he rated the 240Z higher than the 1973 - 1977 Corvette in terms of investment grade.

FWIW - at the price some C3 'Vettes are going for, I'd consider a C4 and have a pretty decent performance vehicle, albeit one that isn't yet a "classic". Based on the forum input, I can't see why the C3s would be desirable at all, but that may just be a "bias" by people that don't really know...

I think it depends on what car you are talking about. Big Blocks, convertibles, L-82's, and highly optioned Vettes are surely appreciating faster than the normal Z. Just look at the prices. Granted, I think the Z is a sleeper and someday will be appreciated for what it is really worth, but for right now I'd argue that any of the cars above, 1974 and earlier are a better investment.

Bob

This is outside of your parameters but I would have to vote for one of two variations of C3 if it were my choice:

1978 Indy Pace Car Edition

1982 Collector's Edition

I always preferred either the skinny '68 to '72 or the "extended" nose of the

'82 Collector's Edition. The next wave of Corvette collectors is already starting to hone in on the C3's so you might want to jump soon.

If you're thinking C4 I would have to vote for the '97 Grand Sport. If you want a daily driver one of my Z car friends bought a '94 6 speed and that eventually led him to the '97 GS model. Funny thing was he ended up selling his restored '72 240Z and replaced it with a '67 coupe and that was before the prices went to the moon. Nothing like driving an old car that continues to increase in value like the mid-year Corvettes?

This is of course an apples to oranges comparison, I have both a 1970 z and a 1973 corvette c3 convertible . The gm has the v8 appeal , it's got a gm crate motor ( 330 horse ) , and it's been restored ( yellow with a black stripe ekklers stinger big block hood ) and torque thruster 11's . The z czr though is quicker ( built crown turbo, 5 lbs boost , fun fun ) . The vette wallows around corners , and the body and frame tourques and twists if you hammer it around corners . I must say the vette's brakes are much better though ( 4 wheel discs ) . Sadly due to storage issues the z is for sale , otherwise I think I have the best of both worlds !:)

daddz,

Yep, I see the C3's starting to jump - I just don't dig the bubble rear of the 1978 - 1982 models, just looks too ungainly for me.

C4, I'd also consider a ZR-1 - you'd be surprised how ridiculously cheap they are. Only bad thing is they look almost identical to a mainstream C4.

Honestly, my thoughts are less about speculation/investment outside of the fact that prices are going up, which limits my ability to obtain. I originally wanted a mid-year 1966/1967 Coupe, but even in a shambles, those would run 30K+ (insane, IMHO, but what the market will bear). It was due to that sticker shock that I ended up getting a 1966 E-Type, since the price was right (19K) and they were contemporary to the mid-year Corvettes. I couldn't be happier - the E-Type is unique and (relatively) rare compared to the 'Vette, and decent performance-wise.

Almost same with the 240Z - I wanted one, since I had a '76 280Z as a kid, but I saw prices starting to rise so I jumped in. Now same applies for the C3's - I want one, but I don't want to pay an exorbitant sum. I'd likely have to consider getting rid of one of my toys (and it WON'T be the Jag), which is why I am inquiring about thoughts.

I took a ride in my 240Z over the weekend, it pretty much cleared up any idea of pawning it off for the 'Vette. While I am still enamored by the C3's, there's a mystique about the Z that just reinforced why I bought one.

Like most of us, I'd guess, I am sort of a dreamer. I forsee having a stable of 10+ cars and motorcycles, but I have a family that must take precendent, so I should be happy that I have the toys I do...