IGNORED

Datsun-240z Vs Fairlady-z432

kats

I have my carbs rebuilt, I was trying to do it by myself, but I decided to send them to a professional shop rather than messed it up.

The result is so happy, this carbs are for my Blue 03/1970 Datsun 240Z.

You can see the difference which is only seen in early carbs, such as non-drain plug at the float chamber, Micky mouse 4- screw chamber cover, and the choke wire hold down bracket.

I can not wait to see how they work in my car much much better than used to.

Too shiny pot, not original but I gradually love it.

Kats

IMG_2266.JPG

IMG_2267.JPG

IMG_2269.JPG

IMG_2270.JPG

IMG_2274.JPG

Edited by kats
  • Like 1

Those are very nice, Kats.  I do not see very many early carburetors like mine.  Here are some solutions to make for etching the shiny aluminum.  Use gloves and safety glasses.  http://www.metallographic.com/Etchants/Aluminum etchants.htm

Etchant

Concentration / Mix

Conditions

Comments

Kellers Etch
Distilled water
Nitric acid
Hydrochloric acid
Hydrofluoric acid

190 ml
5 ml
3 ml
2 ml

10-30 second immersion
Use fresh

For most aluminum and aluminum alloys

Methanol
Hydrochloric acid
Nitric acid
Hydrofluoric acid

25 ml
25 ml
25 ml
1 drop

10-60 seconds

Pure aluminum, aluminum-magnesium, and aluminum-magnesium-silicon alloys

Krolls Reagent
Distilled water
Nitric acid
Hydrofluoric acid

92 ml
6 ml
2 ml

15 seconds

Aluminum-copper alloys

• Like 1

Thanks everyone, I wanted original look but polishing is included in service menue. I just forgot to tell them no-need.

Gave, I sent the carbs to Technical Tohto Kanagawa, Japan.

I was thinking sending them to ZT to have roller bearings on a shaft.

But time and shipphng cost rise its total equal to price in Japan. (88000JPY this time)

The shaft does not have roller bearings, they applied bushes and a special made shaft .I think durability is less than that of ZT.

http://technicaltohto.jp/carburetorrestoretion/carburetorrestoretion7.htm

Kats

Edited by kats
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, 240260280 said:

vapour_blasting.jpg

Original---glass bead---glass bead in water (Vapour Blasting)

vapor1.jpg

Is there a way to retain the GB (water) texture that is on the aluminum, for long period of time?

Kats those SUs look very nice. I like the cadmium coating on all the fittings.

• Like 1

The aquablast process should sort of shot peen the surface in a way that makes it hard for oil and grease to repenetrate the surface of the alloy and therefore it should wipe clean again with some degreaser.

I had it done on my valve cover (wish it was a 2400 OHC cover) and E31 cylinder head.

https://goo.gl/photos/AqiuVue5sXrHGLyq5

Definitely recommended.

• Like 2

Kats,

The original throttle shaft bearing design was doomed to wear from day one.  And for that matter, all carburetors have a similar problem; the metal of the shaft and the carburetor body is 'soft' metal which will wear excessively with the constant use.  I believe that they were designed that way to prevent binding.  Throttle shafts machined from a harder alloy with a similar alloy bushing will work just as well as the bearing arrangement that ZTherapy provides.  I have even seen throttle shafts plated to compensate for wear.  In both cases, either design, I would recommend occasionally oiling the bushing / bearing with some penetrating oil.

Your re-builds look fantastic.  It is great to see such a delicious set of early carburetors.  Engine jewelry!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, 26th-Z said:

Kats,

The original throttle shaft bearing design was doomed to wear from day one.  And for that matter, all carburetors have a similar problem; the metal of the shaft and the carburetor body is 'soft' metal which will wear excessively with the constant use.  I believe that they were designed that way to prevent binding.  Throttle shafts machined from a harder alloy with a similar alloy bushing will work just as well as the bearing arrangement that ZTherapy provides.  I have even seen throttle shafts plated to compensate for wear.  In both cases, either design, I would recommend occasionally oiling the bushing / bearing with some penetrating oil.

Your re-builds look fantastic.  It is great to see such a delicious set of early carburetors.  Engine jewelry!

I was under the assumption that Nissan was chrome plating these peices, which allow them to still last the years.

I'll compare it to my buddies Mini Cooper Mk1, and AH Sprite. They should have British Manufactored SU-Carbs, and inspect.

• Like 1