Jump to content

IGNORED

Datsun-240z Vs Fairlady-z432


Recommended Posts

The catalog above was issued Jan 1972 , just after L24 engined “Fairlady-240Z series “ was released. 

I think it has been the same, everyone wants manual gear box for a sports car always. So I do not think the automatic transmission made a big demand .

Did I introduce this car before ?

This was on sale a several years ago, unbelievably stock , untouched condition with full of optional items such as a rare vinyl top , a factory air conditioning system, and the automatic transmission!! Also the red 110

is very rare, most of ZGs were chosen as maroon.

Please note the color of the over fenders , the rear bumper, and the front bumper. They are all exactly new condition. And they are not completely same color. The rear bumper is  a little bit darker, and a little bit glossy, that is correct. (Hub caps is strange in some pictures though) .

Kats

488F58C8-6826-4CCB-BA24-118634C34451.jpeg

47773951-0B23-4C09-9071-04553A6B007E.jpeg

21268054-1547-48E6-AFA2-6F466CA18E6B.jpeg

5A7F81FF-6E63-4A35-815B-5C9E37891825.jpeg

B995C0F4-B23E-4FF9-B7A0-809AA7498859.jpeg

11822034-E333-48CE-B8E1-1463C9692E42.jpeg

85360152-E080-4198-A06B-8D7C32FD6BDB.jpeg

38E4FCF0-CA66-4475-8CC8-B68C5BF3A701.jpeg

1AFBF2D3-4A57-452C-A0E6-AFDE9F9B86F6.jpeg

A88C1BB8-69C3-4438-B0B2-AC211ABD2FD7.jpeg

Edited by kats
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

And this car is one of the rare  “ FS5C71A with a  NEW center console RHD L24 engind S30”

HS30-10430 , with a factory installed air conditioning system. 

Katashiki Shitei 02662

Ruibetsu Kubun 070

those important codes are on the register certificate, this is a Genuine 240ZG. 

Kats

BC8065A1-B780-4DCB-AD23-12BD9A412727.jpeg

4F99E4CC-8ED0-4D66-8AB9-09EBD4815A32.jpeg

E97EC9D3-9A9A-469C-BD5F-AA1BC7F8744B.jpeg

4836EAD1-FF20-4387-955A-03FEA6412A4F.jpeg

79D12C0C-494A-4B6F-9179-3028FAAA2D0A.jpeg

AF627D7E-ED9E-4066-BE7F-D23C2F6749BF.jpeg

C244AEA8-CDC0-4DBC-B9E8-7EB105FC516B.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this case is also rare, 

  “ FS5C71A with a  NEW center console LHD L24 engind S30” , they are from Oct 1971 to Jan 1972.

They might be something below 1000 cars 

I guess, in Europe and somewhere LHD resion , maybe  Africa?

Kats

Edited by kats
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/24/2018 at 11:09 PM, kats said:

The catalog above was issued Jan 1972 , just after L24 engined “Fairlady-240Z series “ was released. 

I think it has been the same, everyone wants manual gear box for a sports car always. So I do not think the automatic transmission made a big demand .

Did I introduce this car before ?

This was on sale a several years ago, unbelievably stock , untouched condition with full of optional items such as a rare vinyl top , a factory air conditioning system, and the automatic transmission!! Also the red 110

is very rare, most of ZGs were chosen as maroon.

Please note the color of the over fenders , the rear bumper, and the front bumper. They are all exactly new condition. And they are not completely same color. The rear bumper is  a little bit darker, and a little bit glossy, that is correct. (Hub caps is strange in some pictures though) .

Kats

Hey Kats,

My 71 240z (HS30 01415) is an automatic (factory) in 904 white with blue interior, I was contemplating going to a 71A manual gearbox. Since I prefer sports cars with manual gearboxes. But at least in the short term plan to keep the automatic. I am not sure what condition the auto box is in however. I have a spare jatco auto box as a spare, just in case. I don't think there was many automatic's in 1971 in Australia.

What a lovely example 240ZG, 110 red is the colour of my first 240z (which was a 73 240z), but it had been repainted a "darker" red colour 110 red looks almost orange. However the engine bay remained 110 red. It's quite a rare colour for HS30's in general. My 73 had a white interior - which is not common these days, many owners have changed to black sadly. It was hard to keep clean I guess.

I have a video from around the year 2000 where I was messing around with the car, I was not able to drive it on my own yet because I was still a "learner driver" hence the yellow L up in the windscreen and I was only 17, about to turn 18 (you can drive on your own once 18). You'll have to forgive my gelled hair and baggy pants (it was of the era I guess). I haven't shared it earlier as I wanted to edit it, but I guess I will live with it and all it's embarrassment as is :).

The vinyl roof is indeed rare, funny I recall my step dad and I went to look at a Datsun 260z 2+2 which was a maroon red colour and had a black vinyl roof. It was a good car, but I was put off by the vinyl roof. Would love to find a car like that now!

PS: Love the S54B Prince Skyline GT-B in the background of those photos.

9 hours ago, kats said:

And this car is one of the rare  “ FS5C71A with a  NEW center console RHD L24 engind S30”

HS30-10430 , with a factory installed air conditioning system. 

Katashiki Shitei 02662

Ruibetsu Kubun 070

those important codes are on the register certificate, this is a Genuine 240ZG. 

Kats

How do you know how many cars were 71A with the new console? I have been collecting data on HS30's, but have never been able to determine exactly when the change over from HS30 01XXXX to HS30 10XXX occurs. 

I'm attaching a screenshot from my sheet of numbers, I can share the sheet with you via PM if you think it would be useful?

As you can see the highest no. I have is HS30 01973 before jumping to HS30 10052 - which was a Fairlady 240Z-L - owned by a member here.

Since I don't know when the exact change over is, it's hard to know exactly how many of each type there is. My data is collected based on cars I've seen for sale, or around the Internet, so basically documenting what's left as accurately as I can. Nissan Australia's records were lost in a big office move many years ago. Sadly..

Screen Shot 2018-04-25 at 11.58.39 PM.png

9 hours ago, kats said:

I think this case is also rare, 

  “ FS5C71A with a  NEW center console LHD L24 engind S30” , they are from Oct 1971 to Jan 1972.

They might be something below 1000 cars 

I guess, in Europe and somewhere LHD resion , maybe  Africa?

Kats

Yes I'd imagine they are LHD examples for Europe. As you probably know the US market (HLS30's) got 4 speeds only.

When we did my gearbox swap on my 72 240z (HS30 10552) my friend told me that the gearbox cross member was really unique - he had never seen 1 like it before. We still have it as a spare as we fabricated a unique mount for the 71B/C hybrid box. Photo here.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you everyone, I can say the red ZG is the rarest one of all . There were approximately 2000 units (we guess ) for total  ZGs . With that in mind, this car has an unfavorable automatic transmission (maybe less than 10%? ) and, an admirable air conditioning system but expensive ( maybe less than 10%?) and, a 110 red (maybe less than 10%?) and, with an unfavorable vinyl top (maybe less than 1%? ) .

I think this car would be the only one in this style delivered to a customer.

The first owner would  have payed nearly equal to Z432 for this car.

Kats

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

About he ZG bumper, this gap is necessary 

for proving it is genuine part. Some of you may think it is not right , but it is right.

After market “fake” ZG bumpers appeared perfect, without any gap between the head light case and the bumper, for us , that is uneasy, just does not look right.

Here is my spare ZG NOS bumper, please note the fresh color and it’s shape. You can feel the soft material, it is flexible. No fighting to fitting into the body.

Kats

2AF891DC-78F4-4E4B-BAEA-DC34F69A5E5F.png

487F69E7-BAE8-4AF5-BEB7-83177363ACFA.jpeg

FCD1F40C-62CE-402E-92D5-015BBDB328DD.jpeg

EBC834C1-DE4B-44BF-BC1C-DE0020AEBB0E.jpeg

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Gavin, thank you for the wonderful video, I enjoyed it so much. I have got my blue 240Z in year 2000 too! 

You will miss the car, I did not know there was a combination of red and white for RHD models, nice car !

I do not know how I can tell the number of the automatic transmission in the range of HS30-10001-10634 . 

I guess the reason why Nissan started numbering  “10001” from Oct 1971 was Nissan wanted to distinguish Fairlady-240Z series easily from other cars, i.e Datsun 240Z RHD which shares the same HS30 as a body serial number. 

If, the first Fairlady 240Z has like  “HS30-2657” , I can see it could be a little bit difficult to imagine what car is an early and what is late for Japanese engineers ,dealers, mechanics, etc.

Anyway we have to have this in mind, the data of HS30 after Oct 1971 , it means both Fairlady 240Z series (Japanese model) and Datsun 240Z (export model) .

And I do not know why, Nissan jumped for big number onece again, they started HS30-100001 from Sep 1972 .

So Gavin, your data is very useful to guess how many HS30 were made until Oct 1971? I see there might be like 2000 HS30 cars there. And of course they were all export HS30 cars.

I guess approximate 2000 HS30 cars before Oct 1971, then 4000 HS30 cars up to Sep 1972, 3000 HS30 cars up to Sep 1973.  

And we have an “official data” from Nissan , it says they started HS30-10001 from Oct 1971 as same as debut of Fairlady-240Z series in Japan and they made HS30-10634 in Jan 1972. And the FS5C71A was used between HS30-10001 to HS30-10634 .

If we can deduct a number of the automatic transmission car, we will see the true number of “FS5C71A with a  NEW center console RHD L24 engind S30”

About the transmission cross member, it seems to me it is custom made , very well done.

Kats

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Kats,

I will send you a PM with access to the spreadsheet I'm collecting information in, where possible I've denoted Japanese market cars also, as it helps plug gaps in HS30 number sequences. I've shared it with Alan previously also, it's a bit of a pet project of mine.

The mount is custom yes, but I don't have any photos of the original transmission mount. Next time I am with the car (it's in Melbourne, not Sydney with me) I will try and take a photo for you, it's definitely unique and would suit the 71 gearbox.

When I bought my 72 240z (HS30 10552) it had the L28 installed with 240K gearbox, I later went back to the previous owners house to collect the original L24 engine, and the owner asked if I wanted the 71A gearbox - I said no.. Regretfully I should have taken it, but didn't think it was used in my car, because at the time I thought it was only in early 70 models. (I learnt later about the box being used till late 71).

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

What a lovely example, I just love survivors like these you can just see, feel, smell the hsitory of then when you open the door and hop in.

 

It looks like a Fairlady Z-S with 4 speed box, no Rally Clock, Hitachi radio (without power antenna) and auto-seek tuning feature.

I haven't seen many Japanese market cars in 919 yellow, in fact is very rare on HS30's sent to Australia also.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Great photos of the 1970 Z-S Kats!  Thanks for sharing.  We don't get to see many photos of the Z-S cars, so these are a good reference.  As I mentioned to you, my 1970 Fairlady Z-L is also yellow, but I am debating painting it 907 green after the body work is done.  The car does look good in yellow, but I really like the early green.  I have never changed the color on one of my cars, but I am changing it from an automatic to an early 5 speed and the car was acid dipped so no paint remains on the car. I think this would be the perfect time to change the color.

Gavin, in addition to my yellow 1970, Kirk Towner also has a yellow 1970 and I saw another yellow Fairlady for sale in my area a few years ago.

-Mike

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Gav240z said:

What a lovely example, I just love survivors like these you can just see, feel, smell the hsitory of then when you open the door and hop in.

 

It looks like a Fairlady Z-S with 4 speed box, no Rally Clock, Hitachi radio (without power antenna) and auto-seek tuning feature.

Lovely 'ZStd' details. I noted the non-heated rear window and switch blanking plug, rubber mats instead of carpet, no bumper trim and can just about see the clock delete blanking trim (I want!). Rear spoiler would have been a later addition.

What a great survivor. Chassis number is probably close to that of my '70 Z-L. Love it!

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/27/2018 at 3:00 AM, kats said:

About he ZG bumper, this gap is necessary 

for proving it is genuine part. Some of you may think it is not right , but it is right.

After market “fake” ZG bumpers appeared perfect, without any gap between the head light case and the bumper, for us , that is uneasy, just does not look right.

EBC834C1-DE4B-44BF-BC1C-DE0020AEBB0E.jpeg

 

Kats,
I have had SO many people over the years tell me that my ZG was "damaged" or "wrong" because of this detail. They haven't seen genuine OEM parts before.

I was always reassured to see 'the gap'. It was a semi-secret way of telling OEM parts from replicas.

Thank you!

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, HS30-H said:

Lovely 'ZStd' details. I noted the non-heated rear window and switch blanking plug, rubber mats instead of carpet, no bumper trim and can just about see the clock delete blanking trim (I want!). Rear spoiler would have been a later addition.

What a great survivor. Chassis number is probably close to that of my '70 Z-L. Love it!

Thanks Alan !!

and we see the absence of glove box light !

Anybody thinks it is cool the skinny Dunlop tire ? I love it so much , no one can beat this car ...

What kind a woman had owned it ? Maybe she was given as a birthday present for turning  20 ?( in Japan 20 become adult, 18 can drive a car) anyway she was not like an ordinary 1970 Japanese people.

Kats

Edited by kats
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2018/4/29 at 8:51 PM, Mike B said:

Great photos of the 1970 Z-S Kats!  Thanks for sharing.  We don't get to see many photos of the Z-S cars, so these are a good reference.  As I mentioned to you, my 1970 Fairlady Z-L is also yellow, but I am debating painting it 907 green after the body work is done.  The car does look good in yellow, but I really like the early green.  I have never changed the color on one of my cars, but I am changing it from an automatic to an early 5 speed and the car was acid dipped so no paint remains on the car. I think this would be the perfect time to change the color.

Gavin, in addition to my yellow 1970, Kirk Towner also has a yellow 1970 and I saw another yellow Fairlady for sale in my area a few years ago.

-Mike

Hi Mike, I love green too, my best is green with Tan interior like Chris’s 26th & 27th .

I wish we had same color combination like export models. 

Is it a good idea selling my all Four Zs to buy this DINO 246 GTS ( not enough,  even half of its price ) , same 2.4 Litter and 6 cylinder , 2 seater. I really love colored interior, like this Tan , Blue , white  and red , they are all beautiful.

One Z432 now on sale , too much expensive.

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/r242251606

Kats

5381BEC1-128B-4811-AF6D-B7C14419AC0E.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi , today All Fairlady meeting was held at Fuji Speedway , too bad , I could not go there. 

I found this , old Japanese TV movie which 

was broadcasted on Feb 28th 1975 , 

https://minkara.carview.co.jp/smart/userid/1569569/blog/41320555/

a female narcotics officer rides her Fairlady 240ZG ,  you can see vinyl top and

Z432 wheels !! Very rare indeed .

Kats

88420D1F-583B-4CFC-9701-28715C48F7FF.jpeg

189600D9-F054-47FC-8358-CF772C51EC45.jpeg

D46C9D6B-A13D-41B6-BDF2-0B5A3866097C.jpeg

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, kats said:

Hi , today All Fairlady meeting was held at Fuji Speedway , too bad , I could not go there. 

 

Sorry I could not see you, Kats. Maybe in London next time?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/5/2018 at 10:33 PM, kats said:

I found this , old Japanese TV movie which 

was broadcasted on Feb 28th 1975 , 

https://minkara.carview.co.jp/smart/userid/1569569/blog/41320555/

a female narcotics officer rides her Fairlady 240ZG ,  you can see vinyl top and

Z432 wheels !! Very rare indeed .

Kats

D46C9D6B-A13D-41B6-BDF2-0B5A3866097C.jpeg

Hey Kats,

That wheel pic reminds me of this (what I assume is a "works rally 240z" with the Kobe Seiko Magnesium alloys and white wall tyre). I found this photo on an eBay listing. Never seen it before. I quite like the look..

Driver: Mehta Shekar
Rally: Tour of Dean 09/01/1972 
Co-Driver: Holmes Martin V W
REG: TKS 33 SA4541
Start: 26
Sponsor / Entrant: Withers Castrol

Based on this: http://www.thedeanrallies.info/images/stories/M_-_R.pdf

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Gav240z
Add details of car.
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Gav240z said:

Hey Kats,

That wheel pic reminds me of this (what I assume is a "works rally 240z" with the Kobe Seiko Magnesium alloys and white wall tyre). I found this photo on an eBay listing. Never seen it before. I quite like the look..

Driver: Mehta Shekar
Rally: Tour of Dean 09/01/1972 
Co-Driver: Holmes Martin V W
REG: TKS 33 SA4541
Start: 26
Sponsor / Entrant: Withers Castrol

Based on this: http://www.thedeanrallies.info/images/stories/M_-_R.pdf

s-l1600.jpg

Gav,
The caption doesn't fit with the event there. The photo is '4541' (originally part of a batch of Works cars built for the 1972 East African Safari Rally, which started in March) on the 1972 Acropolis Rally in Greece (it took place in May). It was an entry in a "borrowed" Works car co-ordinated by Cal Withers, and Shekhar Mehta had negotiated a tyre sponsorship deal with Sears Roebuck. Apparently the tyres were not the best tools for the job (to say the least...) but the money was right.

The white roof was an attempt to reflect some of the strong Greek sunlight and keep things a little cooler inside. I doubt it had all that much effect. 

The data from the Tour Of Dean website for this car relates to when those Tour Of Dean rally stages were used as part of the 1972 RAC Rally (December), where the car had start number 26. It still had the white roof and some of the white banded Sears tyres...

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 119 Guests (See full list)

Announcements




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.