IGNORED

Datsun-240z Vs Fairlady-z432

kats

13 hours ago, HS30-H said:

Hope that helps. Happy to take any other measurements/photos if required.

Can't help with any identifications here I'm afraid, although I have seen brackets in that area on C10-series GTR-specific aftermarket manifolds in the past, bracing them to the bellhousing.

Actually I have seen many, many aftermarket exhaust manifolds for these engines. Some of them were one-offs or made in really small batches. The ex manifold on my KPGC10 was made by a race car builder called 'Ito Racing' specifically for the car in the late 1970s, and was beautifully made in the old school sand-filled hand-bending method. It would have been almost impossible to identify without the knowledge passed-on by the previous owner, who commissioned it.   

Thanks Alan, your measurements are perfect!

I also love the hand made manifold by a craftsman in old days. They were like an art.

Also I feel there were artists in the Nissan engineers. I can spend whole day just looking at my engines, transmissions, yes manifolds and mufflers!

Kats

Edited by kats
  • Like 1

Today's project comes courtesy a purchase from JDM Car Parts.  I've purchased several of Jay Ataka's original and reproduction parts that he sources from Japan, and although they can be expensive (for good reason - they are typically hard-to-come-by!) he's always offered prompt service, and any parts that have 60-90 day lead times are delivered promptly when they arrive state-side.   

There may be one or two folks who have wondered why there are a few extra tiny holes around a large circular cut-out on the right-side of their front frame (picture 1).  On a stock Z432, these serve to hold the air-cleaner, which is mounted outside the engine bay (picture 2 and picture 3).  In addition, they also serve as mounting holes for a special plastic air duct, used specifically on the Z432, in order to clear the air intake. 

For some reason that I can't entirely fathom, this part is so-very-rarely still attached to most Z432 that I've seen in person, or have pictures for.  Just based on what I've seen, I'd venture to say that maybe one out of two cars still retains this air duct.  What probably happens most frequently is that owners converted their cars to velocity stacks, and took all the air cleaner-related parts off their car, and somehow the plastic air duct ended up in the trash, or in a box somewhere, never to be seen again. 

And as one might expect, one of these bespoke plastic pieces does not come up for sale all that often.  In fact, I can't remember the last time I saw a real one available for sale.  Regrettably, the plastic-air-duct-omission extends to my car, which was sold to me without it (picture 4).  I've had it in my mental to-do list to find such a part for over a decade.  I've always known that there were fiberglass reproductions out there, but I just haven't taken the time to track one down, as I've had much bigger things to upgrade on my Z432.

Fast forward to a few days ago, when I was browsing jdm-car-parts for other stuff, and I spied that Jay now offers fiberglass reproductions of this part for sale.  Perhaps he's noticed the same deficiencies I have on other Z432's!  I jumped at the opportunity to order one, and it arrived just 3 days later (picture 5).  (continued on next post)

picture1.jpeg

picture2.jpeg

picture3.jpeg

picture4.jpeg

picture5.jpeg

Edited by xs10shl
  • Like 3

Knowing that the piece was constructed out of fiberglass, as opposed to more malleable plastic, I was naturally concerned that the fitment would not be great, and that the inflexibility of the duct might cause the mounts to stress crack while in-use.  There are a few things which need to come off in order to test-fit it on the Z432, so I elected to bolt it onto my rally car, which has been stripped for body work.  I was delighted when I saw how well it fit (picture 6)!

Nonetheless, I thought Id take the opportunity to cut a set of foam gaskets for it, if only to give the mount a bit of a cushion, and to plug any imperfections with the fit on the Z432 (picture 7).  A little fiddling here and there, and I had the piece installed (picture 8 )-  That's one more thing I can cross off my mental to-do list. 

... With one small caveat - I'm not sure what the proper finish is for the retaining screw.  I used black because it blended in with the finish of the part, but I'd guess it's actually supposed to be yellow cad.  Any inputs?

picture 6.jpeg

picture 7.jpeg

picture 8.jpeg

Edited by xs10shl
  • Like 4

Mind posting a link for that part?  Is that for both sides or just the one?  I agree with the gasket.  The joint at the body duct needs to be sealed.

Oh, never mind, I found it.  Wowsers!  Expensive

Edited by 26th-Z
Speeling
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, 26th-Z said:

Mind posting a link for that part?  Is that for both sides or just the one?  I agree with the gasket.  The joint at the body duct needs to be sealed.

Oh, never mind, I found it.  Wowsers!  Expensive

Yep. I was frankly happy to pay it, just so I could cross off a 13-year-old TBD item.  I had access to an authentic piece about 11 years ago and didn't think to jump on it, so this was actually my second opportunity to rectify this omission. That said, now that I no longer am in need of one, my First Law of Acquisitions predicts that I'll stumble across an authentic piece within a month or two.

There's not much that's inexpensive anymore. We've been living in a world of $500 used ash trays and $300 inspection lights for a while now, and we'll soon see how much people are going to offer for that NOS radio antenna on eBay - the one with the "pointy top."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes, I'm watching the pointy tip antenna as well.  How about his $500 battery cable?!  I know the seller and just sold him a few rare parts for ridiculous money.  There's no shame anymore.  But don't worry.  Your fresh air duct is going to look great.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/12/2023 at 7:47 AM, xs10shl said:

Today's project comes courtesy a purchase from JDM Car Parts.  I've purchased several of Jay Ataka's original and reproduction parts that he sources from Japan, and although they can be expensive (for good reason - they are typically hard-to-come-by!) he's always offered prompt service, and any parts that have 60-90 day lead times are delivered promptly when they arrive state-side.   

There may be one or two folks who have wondered why there are a few extra tiny holes around a large circular cut-out on the right-side of their front frame (picture 1).  On a stock Z432, these serve to hold the air-cleaner, which is mounted outside the engine bay (picture 2 and picture 3).  In addition, they also serve as mounting holes for a special plastic air duct, used specifically on the Z432, in order to clear the air intake. 

For some reason that I can't entirely fathom, this part is so-very-rarely still attached to most Z432 that I've seen in person, or have pictures for.  Just based on what I've seen, I'd venture to say that maybe one out of two cars still retains this air duct.  What probably happens most frequently is that owners converted their cars to velocity stacks, and took all the air cleaner-related parts off their car, and somehow the plastic air duct ended up in the trash, or in a box somewhere, never to be seen again. 

And as one might expect, one of these bespoke plastic pieces does not come up for sale all that often.  In fact, I can't remember the last time I saw a real one available for sale.  Regrettably, the plastic-air-duct-omission extends to my car, which was sold to me without it (picture 4).  I've had it in my mental to-do list to find such a part for over a decade.  I've always known that there were fiberglass reproductions out there, but I just haven't taken the time to track one down, as I've had much bigger things to upgrade on my Z432.

Fast forward to a few days ago, when I was browsing jdm-car-parts for other stuff, and I spied that Jay now offers fiberglass reproductions of this part for sale.  Perhaps he's noticed the same deficiencies I have on other Z432's!  I jumped at the opportunity to order one, and it arrived just 3 days later (picture 5).  (continued on next post)

picture1.jpeg

picture2.jpeg

picture3.jpeg

picture4.jpeg

picture5.jpeg

Wow! That is a very accurate replica, I didn’t expect much about it but Jay is selling nice one. 
Yes I agree with you, almost half of them are missing the duct. Mine was too, temporarily I put a replica then finally I managed to get the used one for my Z432. 
Maybe it is fragile as time goes by, people didn’t want to be bothered fixing the soft plastic and threw it away I guess.

More rare item is a battery cover! I imagine mechanics forgot to put it back on after periodic maintenance or, owners chose a bigger battery which would not fit in the original small battery cover. Or, the frame has two metal clip to retain the cover in position. That clip is also fragile in long term use.

About the screw, it is silver. I bought a batch of them long time ago if you need I will send it to you.

Kats

Edited by kats
  • Like 2

Hi Chris, the left side is the same for all the other models.

Mine was switched to a later one when the restoration was in progress because the original was bad shape.
One day I visited Pierre when I had a free time in LA and I bought the early duct set with a metal ring.

Oh, one more parts from the US, my Z432 has a clutch master cylinder from an early 240Z in the US.  Z432 and early HLS30 (maybe up to 1971?) are sharing the same one. 

Kats

458C2242-E42F-41FE-873A-92FBA194BD98.jpeg

80FC5EE8-E1F2-4D46-A12E-249541DF1F1A.png

F0EC5074-F9CF-4848-A5C4-087D9E88D0B1.png

Edited by kats
  • Like 3

On 4/12/2023 at 12:07 AM, xs10shl said:

Nonetheless, I thought Id take the opportunity to cut a set of foam gaskets for it, if only to give the mount a bit of a cushion, and to plug any imperfections with the fit on the Z432 (picture 7).  A little fiddling here and there, and I had the piece installed (picture 8 )-  That's one more thing I can cross off my mental to-do list. 

Attached some photos of a couple of rare original examples I have handled. Your repro example looks accurate, and even has the seam in the middle that was missed off in previous repros. Seems there was indeed a foam gasket on the inner fender flange, so you have done what the factory originally did:

Duct-2.JPG

Duct-3.JPG

Duct-5.JPG

• Like 3

I have an earlier repro on my Pretend-R.

Technically speaking I guess the genuine PZRs didn't need this part as they didn't have the air filter housing, air filter duct and airbox (running open trumpets) in the way, but I like it in any case.

PretendeR-1.jpg

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, HS30-H said:

I have an earlier repro on my Pretend-R.

Technically speaking I guess the genuine PZRs didn't need this part as they didn't have the air filter housing, air filter duct and airbox (running open trumpets) in the way, but I like it in any case.

PretendeR-1.jpg

Beautiful Alan!

Here is a R, the owner thinks the same way like you.

Kats

5144FB68-1BF1-4EF6-8943-494E19CEF333.jpeg

Edited by kats
  • Like 2

They are for Z432, upper one is a spots option and the lower is a STD. And they are both hand made replica! 
To be looked like genuine one, they will be sand-blasted before installed. I can’t tell it if I weren’t told that they are replica.

500000 JPY ( 3800 USD) is not bad at all if someone desperately needs original style manifold. 

Originals are notorious for cracking at lower joint. I guess Z432’s dual exhaust system is heavy for the manifold to hold on. These replica use stainless steel which contains  less iron than original so less rusty maybe.

With this craftsmanship, we can have a L-series early exhaust front tube which has a three way junction made by two-piece pressed steel. Or entire system will be an easy job for them. How do purists people do for their old rusty exhaust system especially in overseas? Are there any good shops? I don’t find out yet so I just buy good originals when I saw them.

Kats

53BC1AB8-CCAB-4C70-857B-8967A4E06E0E.jpeg

CC669883-063A-4133-BF73-D9B1D7196489.jpeg

C6C96678-5D21-42C9-B5B0-AAEDE748B976.jpeg

4C2F74D0-3EDB-45C9-AD3D-874CED141E81.jpeg

11DB3AC6-A8B9-4913-810E-719399A3A0FA.jpeg

96BCD558-E919-451A-BB0E-A9317705C188.jpeg

Edited by kats
  • Like 1
  • Wow 1