IGNORED

Datsun-240z Vs Fairlady-z432

kats

39 minutes ago, Gav240z said:

Hi Gavin, the craftsman was popular amongst the Mach fan but yes he seemed stop making it. 

My Mach steering wheel is this one, produced by RS Mach

http://www.rsmach.net/steering/op010.html

This one is not as original as the one you mentioned, but very accurate finishing touch and super high quality. This one is a plug and play, only inside of the boss is modified for easy use ( horn button contact, electrical wiring etc).

So, let us see your horn button back side. Is it the same as the one on the parts catalog? Or I am guessing you bought a RS Mach produced horn button, if so you can still get remaining parts from the shop. If yours is genuine or Goodness reproduced, then it is very difficult to find associated parts. 

RS Mach boss can fit in genuine Mach steering wheel (maybe Goodness wheel too).

I chose a transparent button just because I like it. I wanted a silver steering wheel with a sliver boss but the silver wheel was NLA. So I get the black one with a black boss, but I chose a silver (rounded edge) ring with a transparent button.

Kats

4B4CA7FB-D5F1-482B-8C55-41081F576CE6.png

694211FD-5AED-4DA7-AA34-7C7633C0AE39.png

• Like 1

On 12/19/2022 at 12:42 PM, Gav240z said:

I thought I replied to this, but can't see it now.

Yes HS30s came in those export colours you mentioned.

I'm surprised to learn that Universal Blue was not on Fairlady Z series. What about Fairlady 240Z-L? I am sure I've seen them in the darker 903?

Is this car the later blue? Different lighting makes it look dark. But I'm guessing it's not 903 and actually 115 metallic blue?

Yeah! This car is Glenn’s beautiful very early Fairlady 240Z. I believe his car is HS30-100XX , it means very early L24 model for Japanese people (October 1971 Nissan released Fairlady 240Z series in Japan). 
The blue 115 began to serve at the debut of Fairlady 240Z series in Japan. Before that no blue was available for the Fairlady Z series I mean Japanese market. Looking at export market, Nissan also refreshed color lineup at that time, 903 blue was replaced by 115 blue, 905 red was replaced by 110 red etc.

I am feeling his blue 115 looked similar to 905 because of aging. Here is a good example, this Z432 has 115 blue sold to the US some years ago and looked just like Glenn’s blue 115. PS30-00524 first registration was made June 1972. 
Kats

9B205903-B194-4D23-B6AB-C7F3B525EB40.jpeg

7DBA1F33-10E1-4A34-BA01-47B127BB6450.jpeg

4F3954BC-1D1B-46DC-A2B4-E1E192E0FFCC.jpeg

• Like 2

On 12/20/2022 at 11:19 PM, kats said:

So, let us see your horn button back side. Is it the same as the one on the parts catalog? Or I am guessing you bought a RS Mach produced horn button, if so you can still get remaining parts from the shop. If yours is genuine or Goodness reproduced, then it is very difficult to find associated parts. 

Hi Kats,

It took me a while to dig this out again. But got some photos today. The horn button is interesting, since it screws into the outer ring. But I can't for the life of me see how to attach the button to the wheel. No holes line up and I can't see how it would attach to the wheel itself.

Unless it become more clear once a hub is with it how to attach all 3? But I'm guessing I have a different reproduction wheel/horn to the RS Mach version above?

Keen to hear you opinion.

IMG20221226114058.jpg

IMG20221226114113.jpg

IMG20221226114132.jpg

IMG20221226114222.jpg

IMG20221226114230.jpg

IMG20221226114340.jpg

IMG20221219204100.jpg

• Like 1

Hi @kats,

Yes the holes don't align. I could modify / re-drill mine to make it work I think.

the hub is the hardest part to get. I got outbid last time I tried to buy 1.

I see your hub is black. I like it, but I also like the plain alloy look too. I do like your clear horn button too!

I actually got my wheel off someone in the US that I've traded a few parts with in the past, and we often are interested in bidding on the same items that come up on Yahoo! Japan.

Any help obtaining a hub would be appreciated.

However, if you have any photos of exactly how the button attached to the wheel I'd appreciate it. It looks like it may attach to the hub itself through the wheels mounting holes is that right?

• Like 1

Hi Gavin, I will take pictures of the button tomorrow, please standby shortly.

I found a nice picture of the FRP bonnet, this car used to be owned by Mr. Otsuka. Note the tire, Bridgestone Super Speed-2 (6.45 S14). Otsuka-san knows the tire, I think it was already so hard to obtain 5 original tires at that time. 
FYI, Z432 has Super Speed 5 (6.95 H14).

From Car Magazine June 1995.

Kats

457254BE-2439-44DB-8758-CBEA01694B82.jpeg

Edited by kats
  • Like 4

I have got a new friend, a Cosmo Sports 1973. The owner of this car used to have an earlier version but sold to his friend. Then he wanted to have it again, finally he got the car. I have never seen a Cosmo Sports in person so this opportunity became my first experience. This car is so compact! My 240Z looked big GT car when it parked next to my 240Z. The rotary engine is smooth, fuel-kilometer is not bad at all. He said 5 to 6 kilometers per litter in town, 8 to 9 in high way. That is little inferior to my Z432. 

Kats

43ECF146-47F5-4BDC-9DFE-18050725782A.jpeg

491E4131-9EEE-444B-AA4B-06675E15C302.jpeg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Here's one for the Mag wheel crowd.  Over the years I've managed to collect an assortment of wheel nuts which happen to fit the Kobe Seiko mags.  Not all of these are likely to be dead-nuts period "correct" , but they'll all sort-of work.  I've selected 5 different kinds for this post, and I wanted to get some feedback to see what others thought they might have been from.  I'd venture to say that the top-middle nut is probably the most accurate, but most folks would probably not think twice about seeing the others (apart from the long one, which is probably for a racing application).

Somewhat annoyingly, I don't actually have a full set of 16 of any of these, so I'll have to mix-and-match for the time being, and keep my eye out for more wheel nuts.

[EDIT: So a friend of mine tells me that the right-most nuts are a close variant of 280ZX nut.  And just by inspection, I'd venture to say that the lower left is an aftermarket nut.]

IMG_1417.jpeg

IMG_1415.jpeg

IMG_1416.jpeg

Edited by xs10shl

Thanks for posting wheel nuts here, I see some of them looked the same as I put on my Z432 for temporarily, I mean until I have had got correct Z432 specific wheel nuts.

I remember Matsuo san told me about the wheel nut for Z432, I still don’t understand 100% correctly what Matsuo san said. He said “for a magnesium wheel, we must have a nut which presses (pushes ) the wheel nicely tightly. So that the Z432 nut has a big thick fixed basement  (washer?) which is not turning separately from the nut.

Coud you someone explain us about the Z432 nut story with Matsuo san’s comments? Is there any reason why the straight type nut was chosen for ? Tapered type nut does better than the straight type for centering the wheel, so that the Works rally wheel has tapered nut and even more it has a spinning collar.

Kats

402BE426-ED79-46F8-88DD-2611A5BD3326.png

2A96FB8D-17EB-4D16-9CF1-E78B427165C8.jpeg

33BBEE52-1318-4090-BDC7-68C5F4AB79E1.png

Edited by kats

HI Kats,

My only thought (maybe wrongly) that having a flat thick washer means the clamping force is spread over a slightly larger area, giving a greater grip. I presume a non moving washer would "bite" into the wheel, giving a better grip, whilst the spinning washer will keep moving until the torque/pressure from the nut finally holds the washer firm..... That is as far as my logic goes.....

As a side note, Kobe Seiko produced a tapered seat on their later Magolly wheels....

• Like 1