IGNORED

New Club DVD!

hls30.com

I have an original Nissan "FACTORY PARTS CATALOG - Datsun 240Z - 1970 -1973" (June 1974 revision) that was used by Datsun dealerships and is in pristine condition. It has the exploded diagrams of every part, Datsun part number, description, applicable dates and models and applicable superceded parts numbers.

It is spiral bound but is 150 pages in length and I don't know if my home scanner is up to the task (some of the diagrams are quite detailed).

Suggestions?

Hi Peter, If this is a publication that Will doesn't have yet and is desired for the DVD project, I can scan it and send it ahead to Will. You would just need to mail it to me. I can have it mailed back to you the day after recieving it. I haven't heard of this particular catalog being mentioned for the project before. He will let you know and then you can PM me if you need help scanning it.

I have an original Nissan "FACTORY PARTS CATALOG - Datsun 240Z - 1970 -1973" (June 1974 revision) that was used by Datsun dealerships and is in pristine condition. It has the exploded diagrams of every part, Datsun part number, description, applicable dates and models and applicable superceded parts numbers.

It is spiral bound but is 150 pages in length and I don't know if my home scanner is up to the task (some of the diagrams are quite detailed).

Suggestions?

PeterC

I believe I have that book(blue cover), but I think your page count is the last section and not the entire book(I think it is about 900 pages). I have not cut the spline off mine, so since yours is already spiral bound would absolutely be a welcome addition!

Thank You,

WIll

Will,

The Nissan parts catalogs I have are in large blue loose leaf binders. Is that the same as what you are talking about? I haven't seen them in spiral bound versions before. Like you indicated, they are a lot of pgs, so 900 sounds about right, and 150 may just be one section. I have one that is a 1974 edition I think and it covers all of the 240z's and the 260z. I could probably scan that with my scanner at work after hours, but it may take me a couple of weeks to get through it all in small chunks. That would save the postage for peterc and keep you guys from cutting up a spiral bound book.

Mike B

I have two versions of the '74 edition, one half sized and tape edged, and one A4 sized and loose leaf. 280Master took the loose leaf version to work with him for a few days and scanned it for us. I believe he smaller version has the same content, so the larger version offers more detail.

As a side note the PO of the larger catalog updated it with most of the pages from other countries as well!

Will

I also have one of the earliest versions of the book-and am verifying that all of its content iscovered in the later book that has already been scanned.

post-4106-14150801446916_thumb.jpg

Thanks Mike,

I am trying to see what the updates replaced-if there were references to/images of early parts that were replaced(both parts and referenced) in the later versions. I would like to include the parts depicted on replaced pages and those that replaced them in the parts variation thread-the pictures in the microfiche are pretty useless in most cases, but the pictures in the parts catalogs-though shared in many cases are larger and more easily understood.

Placing a photograph by a Nissan Drawing of an example of parts variation would collect the pieces necessary to ultimately turn it into a searchable photographic parts database.

Will

Hey guys,

Hope I'm not duplicating something that you already have, but being spiralbound it should be easier to scan.

Geezer. Thats very kind of you. If you send me your address I will courier it to you tomorrow as I don't know if my scanner is up to the task.

Peter

Hey guys,

Hope I'm not duplicating something that you already have, but being spiralbound it should be easier to scan.

Geezer. Thats very kind of you. If you send me your address I will courier it to you tomorrow as I don't know if my scanner is up to the task.

Peter

PM sent Peter. I'll get it back to you as soon as possible & send Will the PDF format (or is JPEG better for these?). I think he needs to compare the different versions to determine which to use for the project. Thanks

I am putting everything in PDF first, the "Artsy" stuff I am also putting in as high resolution as possable in JPG format so that if someone would want to, they could print a large poster.

Ron,

I am at the pointof ignoring my family looking at what your sent...I imagine I will be up waaaaaay past bed time tonight! Excellent stuf!!!!

Will

Ron,

I am at the pointof ignoring my family looking at what your sent...I imagine I will be up waaaaaay past bed time tonight! Excellent stuf!!!!

Will

Will, That's something I'm curious about. That last bit I sent required more than 1 DVD without layering. With all the manuals & other documents you intend to include, do you have an idea of the size of this project? I know Mike had reservations about compressing. If not it looks like it will be a DVD set, or more than one DVD project.

Ron,

I'll check into your scans, but all of the FSMs came out at around 12-24mb

meaning all of them 1969-1983 are at most 2.4gb(actually they are a good bit smaller), I am using a 4gb usb card to hold the project, and backing it up to an 8gb card. I didn't have your scans when I initially estimated size, but if you are scanning pdfs with color and in higher than 200 dpi, the file size does get rather large, I scan only the color documents vin color, and my scanner is set to black and white by default.

I'll check the particulars of your scans tomorrow, pm you and run a total file size on what I have.

Thanks for the heads up though!

Will

Man, I wish I'd seen this post awhile back. I made a 72 FSM CD a few years ago for use by me and my Dad. I'd have been happy to send the whole thing your way for use on the DVD.

If you are still interested, I can send a copy your way. It contains a PDF of both the Engines and Chassis & Body manuals. The CD also has all the individual scans of each page.

I sent this to Mike awhile back, so you may have gotten a copy of it from him already.

If you are interested, let me know and I'll pass a copy along, though I'm sure that you are wrapping things up by now.