IGNORED

spare parts disease

zhead240

when i bought my zed it was listed as "needs nothing" which is basicly true.But i have this urge to buy spare parts. for instanse,so far i've bought a set of hub caps. i've been out bidded on a set of tail lites, door mirrors, more hub caps, valance parts, washer bottle,dashes,door panels, consoles and many other items that i don't really need.:stupid: good thing i'm out bidded or i'd have a garage full of spare parts. just today i was tempted to buy a spare OEM windshield ($100) that i could pick up an hour drive away, but thought better of it. does anyone else have this disease or is it just me??

ps-if i have a spare windshield i figure i'll never need to use it.:D

Yeah it happens all the time....Has to do with no new major parts been made in a while....To bad this car is not made by BMW or Mercedes than new parts would be made and stocked by dealers.....No mattter what year or model but they do cost...

So far I've resisted this urge - mostly, anyway. But I am strangely drawn to do so. Like you, so far it's mostly been a set of hubcaps that I'll probably never use. But who knows what part(s) will call my name next...

Yeah, I've got the same disease. I've come close to bringing home several whole cars, too, but thought better of the idea. Soon all I will need is a shell and I'll build another. I had the same sickness with an old Jeep that I had, and when I sold it I got as much for the parts as I did for the vehicle. That investment (the parts) out did my 401K by leaps and bounds. All I gotta do is live long enough, and so should this one. It keeps me out of the bars and opium dens (being too poor to frequent them).

I've been fortunate enough to befriend people with Z's over the years. In time they sell or junk the car so I end up getting their spare parts stash.

My Z is just getting back on the road after 5 years. What I find most shocking is that there are no junkyard 240's around. You bet I'm going to start stockpiling parts. It's not a disease. It's Z preservation. :)

i even bought a pair of D hub caps and they're not even for my car.:stupid: i'm compelled to bid on shiney stuff like bumpers,the guards and emblems.

Hang those double D's over your monitor as a reminder for the next time you get the urge. D-umb

D-ecision LOL

Seriously, I think everyone is looking to upgrade what they already have. On any given day I see at least a half dozen parts that will make my car a little better. I'm already swimming in parts, so I am limiting myself to just missing pieces now. It's just too easy these days to find, buy and have anything dropped on your doorstep.

I have to admit that I, too, have spare parts disease. Between e-bay, craigslist and the local salvage yards I've accumulated extra struts, grilles, seat betls, hub caps (D and Z), round top carbies, intake manifolds, exhaust manifolds, door glass, louvres, choke cables, center consoles, interior trim panels, and all manner of small items for a 240Z. Not that I need all this stuff for my '73, but who knows, I'm always on the lookout for a cheep Z car to add to the stable!

Then there's the Detroit iron I've got in the shop, too. I won't go into details on all the GM parts out there...

I have at least one spare of every relay, switch, sensor, for my two EFI cars. Two sets of injectors, 2 810 afm's, a 280 afm, center consoles, mirrors, a/c parts etc. I don't collect the larger stuff like body parts, bumpers, windshields, etc. mainly because I don't have the room. Some of this stuff can't be acquired anymore at any price but I started my collection when things didn't cost quite so much. These are 28 to 43 year old cars I have and you can't just bop down to the local Kragenpepzoneapa and expect to find much for them.

At the 2003 ZCCA convention I did a twist on Jeff Foxworthy's, "you may be a redneck" which included:

* if you consider your Z parts hoard as part of your retirement funds

* if you store parts under your bed

etc., etc., etc.

I got it so bad I started my own small company mostly to stop having my wife yell that there were too many (too many??) parts laying around. After 4 years, I think I have more than I did when I started.