IGNORED

Do you agree with this?

76Datsun280z

"If your engine starts to run too hot or overheat, SHUT IT DOWN IMEDIATELY, because it can cause extensive engine damage."

I've always heard that leaving a car idle when its overheated is better than shutting it down imediately. A car heats up when it is shut down because the antifreeze stops pumping. You want to keep that coolant moving to help cool your engine off quicker.

I suppose that would depend on the cause of the overheat condition. If you lost all your coolant due to a puncture or blown hose, you wouldn't be doing yourself any favors by letting it run. Also, if your fan wasn't working properly, you'd actually cool the engine off by driving rather than sitting still, so...

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know if the poor mans tune up actually is good for your car?

When i read #15, i remember that every time i red line my z in first (automatic) i can see lot of smoke in my rear view after shifting to second.

Is this a fact that it does help clean your engine of unwanted $^!# or is it just an educated guess? because if it is then im tempted to do on tonight

76Datsun , I read through all 15 items and didn't see anything that would hurt the engine . On the over heating issue. In addition to the heater pull the hood lever and let the hood ride on the safety catch . This will allow more air flow. Turning on the heater has been used for as long as I can remember . It just adds a additional radiator and a little more coolant to the system. He didn't say to red line the engine , only to take it to 5500 . For me 5K is fine for a shift point . Because you will be at 5500 so quick that because of the lag anyway. As to the battery issue . Between my boat and travel trailer and the Z in winter , I have 5 batteries to maintain . I have always charged each battery once a month and have never had a battery go bad on me . Usually they will recharge to full capacity in about an hour each , accept for the deep cycle , they take a little longer . Never let your battery set discharged . It sure to go bad on you . Just for a maintenance item , it's a good practice to change the coolant every couple of years any way . Also bleeding the brakes at that interval will help in keeping the moisture out of the cylinders and destroying them. As for the first 3 items I don't think you can just make this statement as a cut and dried Truth. they have Merritt but there are variables such as amount of throttle applied and so on . Lugging the engine is never good . Gary:rambo: