IGNORED

Why would you want a 280?

onuthin

Let’s get back to the question even though it was ask in an underhanded way. What are the advantages of owning a 280 over a 240? Look at the facts not opinions. Nissan learned a lot about rust control over the years believe me I know that one. There are several mandated safety improvements.

Like has been said you can not really compare the two but, both have there places, advantages and disadvantages.

Why do I own a 240? 280’s were not made when I bought mine. Will I ever sell it? Sure, but I haven’t in over thirty years. I drove a 280 back in the day they were new and did not buy one. Why money. I did find the receipt for mine. I have more money in parts this past year then mother paid for the car to begin with. The car is quickly returning to the same condition as when I bought it.

For me, I got the 280Z because the first Z car I ever really saw was my dad's friend's 280ZX. I wasn't really aware of the 240Z until later. The truth is, any Z is difficult to come across here. I am yet to see a 240Z for sale anywhere near where I live. I love my 280, but its also the only S30 i've ever driven. I have nothing against the 240 or 260 (except the 2+2, those are just ......) I do like the fuel injection on the 280Z since I do use it as my daily driver for most of the year, and parts are a little easier to find local. The turbo swap I plan on doing later this year also won't get as many sour looks around here as it would if I did it to a 240Z

I've seen 280zx's that I'd be proud to own, none of which were 2+2, and all of which were turbo. So long as the stance and wheel/tire combo is right, they look mean as hell. But if you get that rear end dragging, dilapidated paint action going, then they can be exceptionally ugly. I know I had a bias against them for the longest time until I finally found one that looked nice. Now I can appreciate them a lot more. An acquired taste I guess.

I agree with most of the comments from us 280Z fans. I think you haven't been around most S30 fans long enough as there are many 280Z people with plenty of 'passion' for the car.

I was aware of the 240Z when my father bought his first 280Z brand new back in '78 and they were expensive back then ($9200 in Feb. of '78) but that was a byproduct of the world's economies and monetary policy. The price would nearly double again by '82 when my burgandy hardtop was produced. When I was finally old enough to buy my first car I CHOSE a 280Z because it was fuel injected and all it required was a turn of the key and I didn't have to waste time fiddling with carburetors. At age eighteen I just wanted to jump in and sidestep the clutch at 3,000rpm and drive way too fast. The 280Z had the largest displacement engine for the S30 and out of the box it was fast and not quick like today's small Hondas and such.

Now that I am older I generally appreciate all generations of Z cars and have owned all but the Z32. I have driven the Z32TT from Atlanta to D.C. and maybe oneday I will own one but there is no pressing need at present. Just look at my signaure line. I do like beating up on the Z31 though because it was not one of Nissan's better cars. For the money back then the FC RX-7 was a better deal and the build quality was better--I know as I have owned 2 FC's and one SA22 13B RX-7. The Z33 (350Z) is a big fat heavy pig although it is a fast pig it is still a pig. Again, Nissan could have done better and chose not to. The true successor to the 240Z in terms of spirit has to be the new BMW Z4 coupe. Inline 6, cab rearward styling, long hood and intimate cabin.

Here's that stance for the S130 (280ZX):

Dscn1718.jpg

This is why I like the 280Z:

Dscn1588.jpg

Here is the old friend that needs to be restored 08/70:

Dscn1258.jpg

Here's how I think the 280Z should look in terms of stance:

Dscn0822.jpg

Heah I getbthose cars mixed up. Sorry it's the G35 that the 350z was born from. As for the 280 cars. Whatever floats you boat as they say. I like the original 240z series one cars however I would never exclude 280 cars from my driveway. There fine. I'm more a purist.

My beloved, while equiped with the same L28 as the 280z, puts out a sorry excuse for power, at least when compared to its older brothers.............. My ZX is underpowered, ............

You know, that not really true. In the U.S. they changed the way that horsepower was reported for the 1979 model year from gross hp which had previously been used to net hp which shows a lower number. I think we've discussed that in other threads.

Our first S30 a '78 280Z was owned by a friend of my father in law. He was second owner of the car. We bought it to fix up for my son. I bought a 240Z later because of my interest in the S30. I don't think you can beat the looks of the basic S30 body whether it is a 70 or a 78. My well to do friends had 240Z/260Z's in high school 76-80. I always wanted one. The '78 280Z as it looks now.

DSC_5704.JPG

Heah I getbthose cars mixed up. Sorry it's the G35 that the 350z was born from. As for the 280 cars. Whatever floats you boat as they say. I like the original 240z series one cars however I would never exclude 280 cars from my driveway. There fine. I'm more a purist.

As far as I know the G35 skyline coupe (or whatever its called in the US) was released after the 350Z, so I don't know how you can say it was "born from" or "derived from" the G35. From what I understand the 350Z chassis wasn't based on any other chassis they had, but was a new design for the 350Z, which was then later restyled so that it could also be released as the G35 coupe. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't know if you'd say 'born from' but from what I've read, they share what Nissan calls the 'FM' platform which was a new platform in 2001. The Z was produced in early 2002 and released for the 2003 model year. So the G35 actually does precede the 350Z.

Something about the feel of the car to me. Granted my first car in high school was a 73 and I somehow grew attached to it over the years, maybe that keeps me going on them. Ive drove a few 280's and they just didnt feel the same, was somewhat strange. Till this day, just as 18 or so years ago, I can turn a corner and catch a glimpse of a Z and focus my attention on it in amazement, but as soon as I see those fugly bumpers and reverse lights Im somewhat turned off and thinking "meh its a 280". Silly? yes, but just how it is for me.

Let’s get back to the question even though it was ask in an underhanded way. What are the advantages of owning a 280 over a 240? Look at the facts not opinions.

I find it interesting the way people can misinterprit what a person says just because they cannot see each other and know in what manner a statement was meant.I did not ask my original question underhandedly,mean spirited,to say one car was better than the other,or even jokeingly. I simply had a question I did not know the answer to.I never said or implied that some 280Z owners were not as passionate about their cars as I am my 240. I simply said I have not heard it.After reading some the responses I think the problem could be attributed to the region where I live. I am only 8 miles from the SAC O SUDS where the clerk got shot in the movie My cousin vinny,and 4 miles from the courthouse where the trial was set. I don,t see 5 Zcars a year around this area and they are just passing thru.The comments I usually here is when I drive mine which is rare, people come up to me and tell me about the 240 they used to have or their father had and get all nostalgic about it. Maybe if I was in a 280 they would do the same.But the truth is I did not ask my question to start a pissing contest or any other reason than I am curious. FWIW I can stand flatfooted and wizz over a dumptruck:rolleyes:

in my opinion all S30's are great cars, as TomoHawk said, the 280Z is sort of a corrected version of 240Z, on the other hand, what the 280Z miss now the idea of classic spirit, the SU's! the EFI is much more reliable than carbs but I would love to say that I have a dual carburated classic car..

I'm satisfied with my 280Z and I'm proud to know that the roots of my car are from the 240Z..