IGNORED

Why would you want a 280?

onuthin

I know I am making a lot of enemies now with this thread but I really can't imagine life without a 240Z. I know I am a little older than some of you but a 280Z is just a cushiony derivitive of a sports car.I bought my first 240 back in 73. It was a 70 model.I fell in love with it at first sight and after driving it I was hooked.Since then I have had many 240's. I have had several 280's,but I never kept one more than a month or two.They just don't have that same feel like you are part of it like a 240 does.They are smoother and cushy yes, but you can,t feel every part working together and listen to every sound as she tells you just when everything is in sync or when something just aint right.I went parts hunting this week and found more 280s and 280ZXs than I could count.I looked thru them and it didn,t bring any emotions at all to see them sitting rusting out except why wasn't someone that loves 280S trying to rescue them.I found only 2 series 1 that were nothing but rusted hulls and I got real sad to see them in such bad shape.At least the owner was trying to make race cars out of what was left.I have never heard any that owned a 280 talk about their Z with real compassion just the usual I like my Z but a 240 owner talks about his Z like it was part of him and how he loves it.Maybe that it is why a 240 is called a classic.I wished I could understand the difference.I guess that is they make so many flavors of ice cream.

I think the reason you aren't hearing anyone talk about their 280's is because of the company you're keeping. It seems most of the guys on this forum have 240z's. The 280 and 280zx guys seem to have a stronger presence over at Hybridz, which has more of a "make what you can out of what you got" build philosophy. I don't see much difference in anything that counts between a 240z and a 280z. Bumpers you can do something about. Corner lights you can do something about (if they bother you). You've got the displacement and beefy diff if you want to upgrade your existing powerplant, and you've got the stronger chassis if you want to upgrade your drivetrain (v-8/RB/whatever swap). I'm a two time 280z owner, and the only thing that bothers me about them are the bumpers. That was a day worth of work to fix. I guess it comes down to your mindset. I'm not particularly attatched to any given part on my car, just so long as it still retains that "Z-ness" from the outside.

I have mixed emotions. The purest would say that the 240 was the only real Z car. I might agree however the 240,260, and 280 have similar heritage in that the look of the car although tweaked remained very similar. It's when Nissan decided to introduce the 4 seat 2 Plus 2 version is when I think the heritage of the car changed and it was all down hill from there. This is a Company that took an absolutely beautiful sports, car a very functional sports car and eventually turned it into a luxury car with no real heritage. I do believe they have done a nice job with the 350z although it is a different car dramatically and the fact that it wasn't suppose to look like it does. This car as you all probably know was derived from the Infiniti Q45 coupe.

The 280 is a great car for the chassis, rear diff and optional 5-speed. If I wasn't purist about my 240, I'd like a 280 that I could put a more modern EFI setup and maybe even a turbo. Take the bumpers off and you've got a real screamer!

I have mixed emotions. The purest would say that the 240 was the only real Z car. I might agree however the 240,260, and 280 have similar heritage in that the look of the car although tweaked remained very similar. It's when Nissan decided to introduce the 4 seat 2 Plus 2 version is when I think the heritage of the car changed and it was all down hill from there. This is a Company that took an absolutely beautiful sports, car a very functional sports car and eventually turned it into a luxury car with no real heritage. I do believe they have done a nice job with the 350z although it is a different car dramatically and the fact that it wasn't suppose to look like it does. This car as you all probably know was derived from the Infiniti Q45 coupe.

Funny, the E-Type (obvious styling inspiration for the Z) walked down the same path with the 2+2 and really the heavy V12, too. Unfortunately, it seems common for automakers to get tempted with sales volume and "enhance" a lineup in a direction that's at odds with what made the car a success in the first place.

All that being said, I'm a happy 280Z (2 seater) owner and I do think Nissan did a better job with its 2+2 than Jaguar did back in the day. By the way, FI is a potentially compelling reason to get a 280, as well, particularly for daily driving (easy starts every morning, etc). Of course, I do understand and somewhat relate to carb nostalgia/purism. Ultimately, for those of us new to the hobby, 280Zs are more plentiful and cheaper while maintaining some large percentage of the original formula; so they make a lot of sense. Of course, I also have the bumper swap itch. :cross-eye

What Q45 Coupe? Do you mean it was a design offshoot of a Q45 Coupe study that never saw production?

IMO, the 280Z had all the "mistakes" of the 240Z fixed; the fusebox, cold-weather starting, the radio system, and other stuff I have been in a 280Z for a run through an AutoX course, and I don't think that a comparable stock 240Z would have been more "exiting."

thx

I've owned many of each and I agree with TomoHawk. While the 240 is fantastically light, there is something to be said for several extra years of development time Nissan had to work with. The body is stiffer and safer, the electronics are better, the interior is nicer with retractable seatbelts, carpet, etc. It is easy enough to make a 280 track-worthy via the removal of non-essential creature comforts and the F.I. makes it a great daily driver. For me, it all boils down to buying the best S30 available at the time. If I narrow my search down to a few cars in the condition and price range I want, I pick the best S30, not specifically a 240 or a 280. I love them both for different reasons. I don't like the extra weight of the 280, but with a bumper swap, some of that is easy to ditch.