IGNORED

Junkyard & "Out to Pasture" Zs

lonetreesteve

• 2 weeks later...

Ecology- Rialto, California:

Today I hit the yard again... looking for a vented hood off of a 280z... did not have luck finding one in good shape. Found a few 280z's (one a 2+2) like I am used to, but I was very saddened to see a 1970 240z in the yard (first pic)! HLS30-10460... It has mostly been picked through, though the body is straight. I thought all 1970's had the "2400" valve cover? This one had the regular "Nissan OHC". Vin numbers are in the picture names, as is my custom.

post-21059-14150815120639_thumb.jpg

post-21059-14150815117818_thumb.jpg

post-21059-14150815118701_thumb.jpg

post-21059-14150815119365_thumb.jpg

post-21059-14150815120037_thumb.jpg

I think if someone is willing and/or able to save that 1970, that would be grand. If I remember correctly the build date was 9/70. It is actually red underneath the flat black. It is all there except for the hatch lid. Just thought it is a shame to see such an early car go to waste!

I think if someone is willing and/or able to save that 1970, that would be grand. If I remember correctly the build date was 9/70. It is actually red underneath the flat black. It is all there except for the hatch lid. Just thought it is a shame to see such an early car go to waste!

Michael, I think it's great that you have found so many Zs in the California junkyards near you and have been getting the serial numbers. I agree with you on the '70; if the junkyard has the title, it would be worth saving. Perhaps the next time you go by the junkyard you could take some more pics of the '70 and also find out if it has a title, because I 'm sure someone here would be interested in the car.

As far as your 2400 valve cover question is concerned, it's my understanding that only the first 5,000 240Zs or so were equipped with them and they stopped making the covers about the same time as the optional automatic transmission was first offered. My son and I have a 2400 valve cover in my garage that I think we will hold onto for a while!

Edited by lonetreesteve

• 1 year later...

The 4th picture with no fenders is painted blue but was originally orange looks like. I sold a 71 240Z (I wish I had kept it) back in 1985 in Sacramento Calif. that was orange originally but the new owner painted it blue and then I lost track of it. It had bondo on the lip of both rear wheel well arches. Can't help wonder if that is the car. Mine was an 8/71 (HLS30 38XX) (might be missing a zero) with no mods that I did.

Yes I hate to see them in that condition. Some cars I see in the JY I think good riddance but not a Z! I would enjoy getting another one to work on, not sure where I would put it though.

The 4th picture with no fenders is painted blue but was originally orange looks like. I sold a 71 240Z (I wish I had kept it) back in 1985 in Sacramento Calif. that was orange originally but the new owner painted it blue and then I lost track of it. It had bondo on the lip of both rear wheel well arches. Can't help wonder if that is the car. Mine was an 8/71 (HLS30 38XX) (might be missing a zero) with no mods that I did.

Yes I hate to see them in that condition. Some cars I see in the JY I think good riddance but not a Z! I would enjoy getting another one to work on, not sure where I would put it though.

Mike,

Here's a picture of an ID plate that was either on the car that you referenced or on the second to the last car shown from the bottom (rusty one):

post-6600-14150822979024_thumb.jpg

Edited by lonetreesteve

Since it's been a while that there's been any activity on this thread, I thought I would post some pics:

That's 7th picture of the crushed red Z the rear bumper middle section still seems mint, hard to find here..400 to 500 euro at least, and there it is ! :( If somebody has a nice middle section for me, pm me !

That's 7th picture of the crushed red Z the rear bumper middle section still seems mint, hard to find here..400 to 500 euro at least, and there it is ! :( If somebody has a nice middle section for me, pm me !

Hi Bart,

Yes, the red car is a '73. You can tell by the larger rear bumper guards which are mounted a little further apart than the guards on 70 -'72 bumpers. From what I understand, this makes it tough if you want to install the new rubber strips on a '73 rear bumper since only the longer '70 -'72 rubber strips are still available (see picture below). I also understand that the same goes for '73 front bumpers as well.

post-6600-14150822985923_thumb.jpg

post-6600-14150822986147_thumb.jpg