IGNORED

Wood trim on door removal?

FinalAngel

I have a 74 260z that originally had a tan interior but has been swapped over to black. I'm not sure which year the new stuff came from or if all years were the same. I like it all except for the wood trim on the doors. It doesn't "fit in" IMO, so I wanna know if there's a way to take it off or cover it so that the area will just be black. If anyone's done this or has any info I would appreciate it, thanks in advance.

A friend of mine claims to have used electrical tape over this area. He says as long as you don't stretch it--even a little--it works fine (electrical tape is made to shrink back slowly). Have not seen the long term of this fix, but I can not imagine it holding up very long. He actually used the red of yellow or something to match his steering wheel. Might be worth a try!

I refinished my door panels with Krylon Vinyl Refinishing Paint (black) and just sprayed right over the top of the 'wood trim' area and its adjoining 'chrome'. Has held up perfectly. no peels.

steve77

Thanks for the help. I don't think I'm gonna go with tape, seems kinda "ghetto" to me, no offense to your friend. :) I am interested in trying the Krylon paint. I'll just tape everything else off I guess. How long has your's been done like that?

I painted all the panels September 2001. They ahve held up perfectly. Armrests, consoles, top of door, ashtray....EVERYTHING still, looks wonderful. They stuff works shockingly well. My entire interior is a deep, shiney black, like it has a fresh coat of Armour-all on it...but I have never put anything on it.

steve77

I had everything out for a carpet and upholstery job, so I epoxied/ filled any cracks and wiped everything down with Acetone real good and sprayed them with Krylon Vinyl Refinishing Paint. I used black, but it comes in several colours, including a cream. As long as you do EVERYTHING, you wouldn't have matching problem. The stuff covered great. Really thick. One coat covered everything. WAAAAAY thicker than spray paint.

Hey, 72: do you ever get out to MarinaCross? Are you going to Fremont? We actually have a couple members in Monterey, but that is pretty far North of most of our group.

steve77

Hey Zvoiture - No I haven't been out to the MarinaCross yet, but I've been trying to make time... I really have no excuse because I actually live in Marina (i put monterey on the thing because not to many people know where Marina is).

- My dash is really hammered beyond belief on my 73 (the 72 v8 z dash is cool) so I was thinking about what u said about epoxy and was thinking about filling the cracks on the dash and painting it too... what do you think?

I did not paint my dash. It had gigantic....well, I don't have to describe to anyone here what 25 year old Z dashes look like....I bought a full dash cover from VB and refinished everything else--including that ninja-warrior-thing with the defrost vents in it. There are only two new things: The dash cover and the black shift boot. The rest I painted. If you're coming to ZFEST, you can check it out. The stuff is amazing.

steve77

You, know...it might work good for the dash if you could get it smooth somehow. The dash would have to be out and stripped to get it perfect, and if you could get it smooth, you can actually create texture on a surface with this stuff by fogging quickly with the can several feet away. Just don't put so much on that it 'solves' the previous application. It owuld be interesting to see how long it held up in CA sunsine!

steve77