IGNORED

What 240Z Design elements would you like to see in the new Z?

hls30.com

What 240Z Design elements would you like to see in the new Z?  

391 members have voted

1. 1. What 240Z Design elements would you like to see in the new Z?

• The long hood line
    • The rake of the front and rear windows.
    • The rear quarter treatment.
    • chrome in the same places
    • Similar shaped and placed emblems
    • Similar lighting shape and placement
    • A fully developed L6 driveline that would drop right in an S30!
    • A spartan interior with similar major components placed as in the S30.
    • The useable hatch area
    • Sugar scoops
    • Charcoal metalic grill, wheels and tail light fascia.
    • A red dot rearview mirror!
    • The heater control panel
    • The steering wheel
    • A Henry Ford colored dash(any color you want as long as it's black!)

I've seen this topic come up a lot here and there, and I'll throw my 2.5 cents in on it here too: I personally think the S13 sylvia had more S30 Z in it than any subsequent Z model ever did. I would be more likely to buy something like that if it were released than a $35-40k pig masquerading as a Z. I love my 280, but only because it's cheap and fun to work on. Keeps me off the streets, so to speak (get it? it's always broken...).

Carl, I think you did a great job conceptually with your pitch, I'm really not fond of the actual car design you had, but that's neither here nor there because I doubt they would have just taken the car as is anyway.

If I were designing a new Z, I'd look really hard at both the styling and execution of the S13: Long hood, USABLE hatchback styling (though I like the notch-back better on the S13), affordable price tag. In a car that size, you don't need to offer much in the way of base power, 200hp or there-abouts is enough to get out of your own way. I wouldn't cry if it had a rear wheel drive version of the QR25DE 4 cylinder in it instead of a 6, since it's a nice torque-y motor (and is in production currently). I like to look at this issue from a perspective of "What is likely to happen, and could I live with that?" instead of just saying I want a 500hp car with super brakes that weighs less than a Vette, but I will NOT be paying more than $25k for it! That just isn't going to happen. Anyway, That's what I think. The long hood, overall shape, and reasonable price point with decent (but upgradeable performance) is what I think the new Z should have.

Light weight, under 3,000 lbs, 2,500 would be better. Front mid-engine. Easy to work on with large hands (No requirement for disassembly of the top of the engine to change an AC compressor, ala the 300Z TT. No plastic covers over the engine bay. Decent power to weight ratio. Long nose and hatchback. No McPherson struts, upper and lower A Arms. Simple interior, without all of the computer driven bells and whistles, such as I-Drive on BMWs. A "Drivers" car!

• 4 months later...

Nissan seems to be coming out with a lot of new toys in '08. The Nissan 350z, the new Infiniti G37 sedan/coupe, a smaller 300hp FX-type car called an EX, and a redesigned FX. And, let's not forget the Skyline. :)

Frankly, many of these cars are exciting to me. I think Nissan seems to be listening to their customers.