IGNORED

Dirty breathers and relocation..help please?

commplexone

The Z i purchased has the k&n breather filters on the valve cover and on the engine block. I noticed that they both emit smoke when under a load and are very oil soaked. To me this seems like a mess and i dont really like the idea too much. My question is, can i just run some rubber hose from the two into some sort of drain bucket in a hidden location or just run hose from one to the other to block it off completely? Also, the breather tube from the engine block has another smaller spout coming of for what looks like some sort of vacuum hose or something. I dont really like the idea of having open spouts and oil dripping on my motor so can anybody please elaborate on clever ideas to clean this system up a little bit? Maybe even a photo or two of others set ups would be great help as well. Thanks again in advance, i am just a newbie trying to learn the ropes.

What kind of Z is this?

Assuming that this is an early, carbureted car......where the breather is on the block, that's supposed to be connected to your balance tube's PCV port. If it's open to the environment, that's just puking fumes into your engine bay.

Assuming that this is an early, carbureted car......where the breather is on the block, that's supposed to be connected to your balance tube's PCV port. If it's open to the environment, that's just puking fumes into your engine bay.

Yes it is a 72 240 and it is carbureted. I have noticed a very distinct fume smell in the cockpit as well. I feel dumb for saying this but can you please explain to me what you mean by connected to the PCV port on the balance tube?

The PCV valve comes off of the balance tube, and is designed so that it will suck blow-by gases that are expelled from the crankcase back into the intake (and burn them, reducing emissions).

There should be a hose connecting the PCV valve and the block. It sounds like yours is missing.

Do you have a factory service manual? If not, you should definitely pick one up and start getting familiar with it.

Thank you very much for your help. I really appreciate it. After listening to what you said i put two and two together to realize exactly what you said is correct. I will get that all taken care of asap. I was having a hard time with understanding cause my car has the dual weber dgv set up and the pcv was blocked on it making it hard to see. I understand cars but i dont know much of anything about datsuns so your help is really appreciated.

I'm happy to help.

I have K&N air cleaners on each carb, like the ones in the photos. I also have a small filter on top of the valve cover, so if you have one in that location it should be fine, as well.

You should pull that filter off of the block, though. Connect that to PCV with a proper hose, and you'll at least have *that* part of your car working right.