IGNORED

Dash Repair Process/Pictures

BD240Z

The dash is still "as new". No problems at all......the car is kept in a temp controlled garage....that may not be a good test lab vs. a car left outside. Bruce did an awesome job and an awesome thread. Guy

Thanks Guy!! Glad to hear the repair has stood up so far, keep us updated so we'll know if this is a long term solution/repair.

Bruce

• 1 month later...

Pretty much have finished my dash resto and I am happy. I used the NAPA repair stuff and finished color was duplicolor vinyl black. The duplicolor has a lot of shine so I should only have to wipe off with rag when it gets dusty. Only thing I wish I did better was the sems texture paint. Don't try outside if there is any wind since you have to hold 20" from the object your painting. I was able to sand it until it looked pretty uniform. I will happy if it does't crack and if it does it will be cover time. I spent a lot of time polishing the chrome and I was pleasantly suprised how well the chrome came back to life. Use some 00steel wool and you will be amazed how well you can get the finish back. I also polished all the gauge plastic. Here are some pics

post-7622-14150805540044_thumb.jpg

post-7622-14150805540612_thumb.jpg

post-7622-14150805541153_thumb.jpg

post-7622-14150805541693_thumb.jpg

post-7622-14150805542258_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

Okay, this has about convinced me to repair mine rather than cap. I already bought the cap, so it might be on Ebay soon if this works. These dashes look amazing. I expect this method should work well for dash modifications too, not that I have any planned unless my Carputer will require...

nice work, it's almost 3 years since that original repair and so far so good, I'm sold.

Phar

• 1 month later...

I don't know if this will work on dashes,But it worked great on repairing a few consoles and a lot of ashtrays.After filling the holes and cracks with JB weld I bought some silly putty and flattened it out while a little warm,then laid on flat part of console.I rolled it out until it left a good impression of texture and put in refrigerator until it became stiff.When the JB weld was almost hard I pressed the silly putty firmly but evenly over area I was working on for a few seconds and evenly lifted it back off.It left a perfect texture look.After the JBweld hardened I used the correct paint to match.It has been a couple years and I can't tell where it was repaired.I don,t know why this won't work on a dash? Ronnie

Someone wanted to know how it held up? I can tell you.........beautiful 'cause I now own the car that Bruce fixed. I didn't even know it had been done! Great job Bruce....just like the entire resto you did on the rest of the car. Guy
The dash is still "as new". No problems at all......the car is kept in a temp controlled garage....that may not be a good test lab vs. a car left outside. Bruce did an awesome job and an awesome thread. Guy

Guy,

Bruce really did a remarkable restoration job with your '70 and I'm glad to hear the dash repair that he did (that started this great thread) is holding up so well. I really like the new wheels you put on the car and I also like what you and your Dad have done with the '71 car. I'm not sure if Bruce ever told you the story when he rescued the '70 from the Arizona desert or if you ever read the old thread, but it's a great story:

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21629

• 2 weeks later...

I was ready to put the final coats of paint on my restored dash and I turned my back after wiping it down with cleaner and it fell off the work bench. LOL. It didn't crack in the same place but in three new places. Very small hairline cranks. It was looking amazing to. I was so excited to be almost finished.

Well I guess I start over...

Steve....Thanks so much for pointing out that thread.....Bruce did an incredible job of restoration....he didn't cut any corners! Bruce is also an incredible person ( I still stay in touch ) The car is absolutely beautiful and has won 1st at every show I've entered it in! Ask Fred (PIZZAMAN). He's a national judge and knows his stuff. I did build a modified L-28 engine for it ( it really hauls the freight now ), but saved the beautiful original engine that Bruce had built. Wait till you see the finished product on the 71 I'm restoring now. It will be be equally impressive. Thanks again Guy.... By the way...I'm the Dad

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31001

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25643

Edited by Diseazd