IGNORED

Found this 240z Convertible

brushie1320022

Its all original..
Well... at least what's left of it!ROFL

Seriously though, I don't believe I've ever heard of any members here owning or considering buying a convertable'ized' Z car. You know that there never was a convertable option on the 240 through 280 Z's, right?

I suppose you could scan the classified ads at the different club sites and see what other sellers are asking for their convertable Z's. I don't recall seeing any here though.

Good luck with that,

Rob

That guy had to have chopped the top off and modify everything. Very cool idea, but its chassis has to be so much weaker now that it wouldn't be safe to sport around in it. Personally I don't think that it is worth it. If I wanted the air through my hair without just rolling down the windows, I would use that money to get a T-Top 280z.

If I wanted the air through my hair without just rolling down the windows, I would use that money to get a T-Top 280z.

I would be inclined to snag a Datsun 2000 roadster instead. It was designed as a convertable, plus I wounldn't be hacking up a coupe. The first Z car to have factory T-tops was the 280ZX ('83?).

Rob

Actually, there have been a few members of our club with convertibles. I don't think it's fair to say that it's a bad modification. When done correctly, I think it's perfectly legitimate. True the car was not designed as a convertible and was never sold from the dealerships that way. But, there have been a bunch of designs floating around for this kind of mod.

Take a look in the forums and do a search on convertible. There are also many pictures in our gallery of member-rides with convertible modifications.

Here's a link to our gallery with the keyword "convertible".... check it out... (you might have to search past the 240k cars)

http://www.classiczcars.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=all&page=2&si=convertible

I have two Z friends with convertibles and I think the 240Z looks sharp topless. A stabilizer bar across the rear shock towers would easily solve the chassis stability issue and depending on how well the body was done, what condition the rag top is in, as well as the rest of the car, $5,700 could be a deal for a very interesting and attractive Z modification.

I wouldn't run from it either, $5,700 for a good running car-as long as rust isn't an issue and there is no evidence of chassis stress(or heavy concentrations of bondo), I would definitely look over the finer points of the car, and consider it. CHeck out how the car looks and drives with the top up. If the top isn't tightly sealing and in excellent condition, better find out what it came from and price it, the cost of a completely custom top could easily be a deal breaker.

Will

Thanks for all of your replies. I have been looking into this Datun Z thing and have been finding out that the prices on these cars if there in good shape have been holding there value. I used to buy some Toyota 4x4 years 80 to 83 and put a little money into them and sell them for alot more than what I had bought them for. But these Z seem to be that way also.I think if i was to get the z i would probably keep it and make a nice one a show car. Parts dont seem too hard to find. Any other good sites for mods on the Z's?