IGNORED

Transmission fill Plug

ZTEC

Hey!! I just had a thought. Are you absolutley sure it's the tranny? A bad throwout bearing on a misadjusted fork could make a nice screeching noise. You would feel the vibes and it can be very loud. Try pushing the clutch in a few times and listen. If the noise changes when the clutch is in then maybe it's just a T/O bearing.

I once drove my Z from FL to Oklahoma. Halfway there I hit a giant truck tire which cracked my speedo line. Speedo worked but I was dripping 90W. (5spd tranny also) In Dallas I noticed the gears were getting hard to shift and 50 miles from the destination it started popping out of gear and whirring really loud. I got in town, called a relative, picked up a J.yard tranny and two hours later had it swapped and was back on the road. Total cost for the detour...$125.00. When the old tranny came out you could hear lots of crunchies inside. The inside smelled really burnt. Go figure...

I've had bearings inside the 4spd go out with only a few warnings. Usually the tranny noise was very pronounced before it failed.

Fingers crossed.