IGNORED

Oddessey

JLPurcell

Wow Jerry that is awesome news. I will be at ZCON this year so I definately want to see your car if Les brings it. I agree with 72OJ, enter the car to be judged. It will never be cleaner than the day he delivers it to you. Is he bringing it in an enclosed trailer?

• 2 weeks later...

I had that feeling of “car” excitement yesterday.:bunny: I went to the Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles and registered and plated my Z. It was last plated in 1976, 36 years ago. I had to call Les to get the odometer reading for the title update. I did not realize what a moment that would be. I was like a kid in a candy store and that was just getting the car plated, I still haven’t seen or touched it. This has been a long year for me and this is going to be a genuine pick me up. I wanted vanity plates for the car but all three of my choices had been taken. I will be watching for you at Indiana events!!! 1st choice DATSUN Z (taken) – 2nd choice 72 240Z (taken) – 3rd choice 1972 Z (taken). My plate will read OUR 240Z;)

I went on line to BRE on line and purchased a cover today and had it shipped to Classic Datsun Motorsports. I am still looking for a CAR BAG. I hope the car stays on the latest completion schedule:paranoid: and that I will be able to enter it in the show at Z CON.

Not knowing anything about car shows I am trying to figure:ermm: out what class it would be best to enter it in. I had Les put it back as it came off the showroom floor. Which would be all original with the exception of a period correct color matched “spook”, the original American Racing Libre wheels (restored), color matched racing mirrors on both doors (similar to the black pearl mirrors) and a set of factory accessory 240Z stripes. I also had Les leave off the smog pump. With the exception of the smog pump this is how the car was presented new on the showroom floor when purchased at Joliet Datsun in Joliet, IL. For stock class the rules read “as it left the factory”. I don’t know how much this would take away from the cars chances in stock class. Anyone out there that can help me with this I would appreciate it. I am waiting for more photos of the progress and hope to be able to share them soon. It is finally coming together after 36 years!;)

post-7454-14150820338415_thumb.jpgI have attached the latest photos of the car, WOW! I can’t wait to drive it! 36 years! If it is as it photographs Les has lived up to the reputation that caused me to drive 2300 miles to have him restore the car. Sadly enough we were not able to make Z Con work. I broke the news to Les yesterday that I just could not make the schedule work at this point. We are trying to put together another date that being the first weekend in October. I am hoping that Les can meet me around Flagstaff and that I can attend the SOCALROC Meet in Williams, AZ. If that works out my wife and I will be able to drive the Z to the Grand Canyon and stay a few nights what a way to welcome the car back to its original owners. I know that my wife would love to be the first to drive it; she was the last to drive it. Enjoy the eye candy brought to you by Classic Datsun Motorsports.;)

post-7454-14150820336479_thumb.jpg

post-7454-14150820337175_thumb.jpg

post-7454-14150820337796_thumb.jpg

He is planning on trailering it home anyway. At home he can drive it and enjoy it whenever his schedule allows - without worrying about conflicts with Les's schedule. He'll also have time to break it in and work any bugs out - close to home. Once you put them back together you usually find a few bugs/issues that need attention. 5, 50, 500 - drive it five miles away from home, then 5 miles back - and check everything. Then 50 miles away and 50 back - and check everything. "Then" take a 500 mile weekend trip with your wife..

FWIW,

Carl B.

We will hopefully have it broke in for Jerry before he goes on his little side trip. I was really hoping to have Jerry be able to attend one of the event while he was out visiting and he had told me that he hoped to be able to visit a few places he wanted to see while he out here on the left coast. It was really not worth trying to rush this close to the end of the project and we are finishing up another Z at the same time that is Lime yellow and I believe that couple may also go to the Datsun event in Williams AZ at the same time. It will be nice to see 2 great Zs back on the road and let me have a little time to breathe again.

Les

• 2 weeks later...

Preparing for long haul to pick up the Z and remembering the excitement felt when getting ready to deliver the car to Vista for the restoration. Les reported that the engine runs and sounds great (I bored it 10 over and overhauled it 30 years ago) and that the car is now for the first time in 36 years under its own power. Les sent the photos in my last post late last night, (late for me not for the west coast). The interior is not yet complete, Les found that the nylon cord in the electric antenna had broken down over time and he hopes to have a new mast today. That should allow him to finish the interior panels. We are concerned that the car seems to be setting high and hope that driving it will take care of some of that. My tire choice seems to amplify the effect of the car setting high. I wanted to stay with the original wheels and good tires are hard to find in 14” as we all know. I am second guessing myself on this and wonder if a set of reproduction 18” Libre wheels would look better. I am also second guessing my decision to leave the wheel wells color matched to the car. These are small things that I can change once it is back home. The emblems, stripes, color matched racing (black pearl style) mirrors, and color matched spook are yet to be installed. That will make a tremendous difference. The attention to detail has been impressive. For the first time since it left the factory it will have a factory radio with new faceplate. I had an OEM radio rebuilt and Les provided the new faceplate. When I purchase the car the dealer had installed the mirrors, stripes, spook, AC and an aftermarket radio. I cleaned my F250 yesterday and changed the oil (16quarts) for the trip. I, at the suggestion of a local speed shop, rented an enclosed trailer for the trip and will be leaving my, fully rebuilt for the trip, open trailer at home. My wife will be making the trip with me and I am looking forward to sharing that time and the trip with her. On the quick trip to take the car out to Vista in 06 a couple of my firefighter friends went along. I will be loading/packing the 00029 car and tons of parts into the trailer tomorrow evening for the trip. Maybe it just hasn’t hit me yet but I am not as hyped for the trip as I would have anticipated but maybe it is just because I know how much I have to do tomorrow to prepare for the adventure. More to come.