IGNORED

240K GT for sale, Adelaide, South Australia

skubz

Matt,

No, that car's the object of someone's desire to make money off RHD starved Americans. The guy in Japan who had it probably sold it to a car dealer who then took it to the auction house. He didn't lose interest, he just got interested in something else. I'd bet he only got 3-4 thousand frrom the dealer.

The importers, however, are asking too much money for a car that's not even popular. Would you pay 20 grand for a 30 year-old car that doesn't have the pedigree like a Skyline or Z? Believe me, if you think parts for the C110 is hard to come by, parts for that car are almost non-existent.

That Laurel is owned by Idaho Speed. They have made somewhat of a name for themselves by tuning Skylines here in the U.S. They even own 2 or 3 legal ones. I have spoken with the owner a couple of times. He had tried to buy my Hakosuka. It did not happen, obviously, because he tried to lowball me, bigtime. He did everything he could to convince me that my car was not all that valuable and that he could easily get one out of Japan with his contacts. After 30 minutes of hearing his pitch, I politely declined and wished him the best of luck in getting one in his price range. Funny that here he is now hawking a car that is no cleaner than mine, not to mention far less desirable, for this kind of cash. For $20k U.S., you can get an awsome GT-R clone. My bet is that this is what he is trying to do. Each person I have discussed selling my car to have all ended up saying they are just going to get one themselves and copy my car. This guy actually alluded to being able to out spend me and thus exceed my car. Maybe so. But then again the last 3 guys that have said this are no where to be seen. Not that I should take too much pride in it, but few people seem to be as........what is the word? I like determined, my wife would say stupid, to take on this type of project. And you guys should have seen the look she gave me when I decided to buy Kents car. But I digress. Back to the subject at hand, I agree with Miles completely. This guy is hoping to cash in big time on "JDM" hype. This is the third time the car has been on E-bay too. I think he might be realizing that this car will never bring more than $5-$6K. I have seen a couple of Hakosukas in better trim only go for $15k here. And they took a while to sell. People here are odd, they want rare cars, but they refuse to pay accordingly for them. And if no one will give $20K for a KGC10, what hope does this car have?

Brian

Obviously, I was wrong. I just checked Car Sensor and Yahoo Auctions and this ugly Laurel is selling for roughly $12,500. And they're not wide body flared types either. Just stockers with rims and triple webbers. Maybe there is a market after all . . . . .

• 5 months later...