IGNORED

The worst problem I have had with my Z is:

hls30.com

What is the worst problem you have had with a Z?  

193 members have voted

1. 1. What is the worst problem you have had with a Z?

• Rust/body work.
    • Fuel Supply-other than odor!
    • Primary Ignition.
    • Electrical Issues.
    • Mechanical Engine issues
    • Getting rid of a smell in it.
    • Suspension Issues (includes Replacing bushings)
    • Hvac issues
    • Deciding on changes (color/ seats/ engine/ body parts)
    • Replacing weatherstripping/finding rattles.
    • Keeping my Z related spending a secret
    • Adding to a project(adding more to do every time you do something)
    • Putting it all back together - finding how everything goes, or the time to put it back.
    • Getting it away from its previous owner! Getting the keys back when you loaned the car.
    • Not listed - Post Details or I will tell your Z you have a huge wad of cash hidden!!!

You can get an Amen there Tom. :)

Chris A.

Yea, sometimes its really sucks but, the good side of is that when I do get a drive in, its REALLY fun! Just last week I refreshed the rubber on the Z and boy, I have forgotten what a difference new rubber makes in the ride quality....butter!!!

Oh ya, rust is THE biggest problem with my Z. Cut out the passenger side floorpan to fit my Charlie O. replacement and rust kept on going up the old firewall. Very frustrating. Now I'm looking at patching the firewall. Driver's side firewall seems very solid as does the rest of the firewall. Fingers crossed anyway. Already cut out the battery box area and have good donar metal from another Z for that area. Now I have a couple really big holes in my Series I -- New donar shell still sounds good. On the other hand, my L54 build up (.20 over, flat tops, rebuilt P90 looking at 9 - 9.5 compression) is starting to take shape and I ordered a MSA header gasket for my ceramic coated 3-2 headers the other day. Now just got to get the body good enough to put the rebuilt engine in and mate it up the the 5 speed.

Finding a good shop in town to take care of the things I'm not experienced enough to fix. Exhaust shops in town suck particularly badly.

For example: I got my set of headers, put them on myself, purchased a muffler, and decided to bring my car to a shop to get the tubing bent and the muffler hung. Turns out the new system hung way too low, and the muffler was so low it almost scraped the ground when I went up my driveway. I wasn't satisfied, but I drove around with it for a week like that untill the muffler started rubbing on something. I couldn't take it any longer, and I knew if I brought it to the same shop, the one guy who worked there would'nt do any better the second time.

So I took the tube to midas to have them put a couple small bends in it after hours to try and raise the system up closer to the undercarage, but ended up messing up the entire tube, so I had to start from scratch.

So I brought it to another shop. Told me to leave (why?) and come back at 1pm so I could help him hang the muffler where I wanted it. I went out, had some lunch, hung out with my sweet girlfriend, and came back about 10 minutes shy of 1pm. Turns out he had already welded everything together, hung the muffler (totally crooked too, I mean 45 degrees to the right) with the ugliest, nastiest hangers I have ever seen:

attachment.php?attachmentid=10878&d=1138644681

Then the guy gives me all sort of trouble when I ask him why he did it without me there. I couldn't take it anymore.

I went home, dropped the system, ground down all the nasty a$$ welds and started anew. I got some strap metal, bent it, and designed my own hangers for the muffler, had them welded on my my friend. Test fitted it, perfect.

Brought the car to yet another shop, who said it was cool if I let them know exactly what I want, while they're working on the car. So I let them know where the trouble spots are for running the tube, and hung the muffler so all they really had to do was run a pipe from point A: the header to point B: the muffler. They went through 3 lengths of tubing trying to get it to fit!!! Messed up multiple times. At one point the guy got so frustrated he actually threw one of the messed up tubes across the shop, and it clanged loundly on the ground. Finally he managed to get it to work, had to splice some tubes together to make it fit right, but it was better than the previous shops, so I paid and left, and lived with it since.

I wrote more about it in this thread too:

http://classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20202

Moral of the story: Don't get exhaust done in Santa Cruz. Your blind grandmother with one arm could to a better job when she's drunk.

• 1 month later...

ive spent the last two years rewiring my z from scratch after the previous owner cut every single wire out instead of just pulling off the connecters. since he was nice enough to include a ron francis wiring kit (not made specifically for the car though) i decided to use that. i spent hours trying to figure out how to integrate the systems together, but at least now i know how to fix stuff if i have issues. there was one thing that helped me out a lot, and that was a wiring diagram that we blew up at my dads office so that it was four feet tall and 12 feet long. makes following wires a whole lot easier. other than the windshield wipers not working right yet, everything electrical works great. theres still issues with how the engine runs, but at least it runs.:classic:

post-12749-14150798593556_thumb.jpg