IGNORED

Tell us about your Z!

hls30.com

What condition is your Z in?  

227 members have voted

1. 1. What condition is your Z in?

• Mint pushed / pulled from the garage to the trailer and back...
    • A fine Show Piece, Garage kept, driven in beautiful weather
    • Excellent driver condition - Usually my trans- portation of choice, outrageously maintained.
    • Very good, Daily trans- portation, well maintained.
    • Good presentable Daily trans- portation, maintained monthy
    • Good mechanical shape, but needs some attention.
    • OK-needs more attention.
    • Street worthy as long as it is daylight with no rain!
    • Running and moving under its own power, not dependable.
    • Needs help as does the owner
    • It has wheels, and the horn works when you put the battery to it!
    • A Nasty pile of parts in which hides a beautiful Z
    • Sh!t, so you're the one that owns that pile of junk
    • I can't remember, the city / county haulled it away
    • Nicely boxed, waiting for A CZC help a member month!

I would say mine is being retrieved from the dead. After three months of work on it you would not know it is the same car except that it occupies the same space. Spent all winter rebuilding or replacing the firewall, both outer rocker panels, rebuilt the inside rocker panels, redid the right floor pan and frame rail, rebuilt the right aft inner fender well, right front inner fender well as the battery box. Replaced the lower half of the right rear fender and replaced the left dog leg just to start. Straightened the hatch and drivers door. Replaced both front fenders and now I am in the search for a different hood. I am now looking at the rear skirt and left rear fender getting everything ready for paint.

took delivery of my 72 zed exactly 1 year ago today. the ad said " needs nothing". it's stock with a few nicks and minor dings but all original, even the paint. paid it off last month. should have bought one years ago. i'd say it's a 9/10.

I bought my "69" built 240z (complianced in 71) stripped apart, but with minimal rust in the floors and around the rear window this year for a low $900.00 with a turbo set up (not going on car). Although cheap, after talking to the panel beater who is proffesional in this type of car, it's not so cheap after all, but it's the 213th complianced in Australia, so I guess it's worth doing. I also own a 1976 260z 2+2 which is a rusty wreck unfortunately, and has sustained a major wack to the left hand side so i'm still ify if to fix this car up or to wreck it as i do not know still what is exactly missing of the 240z.

Curtis

My UK 1978 260z was brought in 1991. Used it for a couple of years. Decided to restore while the rust was not too bad. 13 yrs later after a few problems (workshop where having car done burnt down, car not in at that time) body now restored and painted. Currently restoring the rear suspension and drive train. 3.1L engine to assemble, and all the little bits to bring the car together. Will be a clean (not garage queen) car for weekends and sunny days, as the UK winter is a bit unkind to z shells.

Once finished, got another 260 to restore, this one will be totally stock.

Cheers

Ian

I bought my "69" built 240z (complianced in 71) stripped apart, but with minimal rust in the floors and around the rear window this year for a low $900.00 with a turbo set up (not going on car). Although cheap, after talking to the panel beater who is proffesional in this type of car, it's not so cheap after all, but it's the 213th complianced in Australia, so I guess it's worth doing....snipped..

Curtis

Hello Curtis:

If you have HS30 00213, your car would most likely have a build date of 10/70 or 11/70. As it took between two and three months to get cars from the factory to and then into Australia, it would most likely have been inspected at the Port in Australia around 01/71 to 02/71.

Let me know what the original engine serial number is, and we might be able to pin the build date down a little farther. The original engine serial number is stamped into the data tag located under the hood - and the engine serial number should be something like L24-17xxx to L24-18xxxx.

FWIW,

Carl

Carl Beck

Clearwater, FL USA

http://ZHome.com

Had mine for about a year and a half now. Bought it back from the guy that bought it from my parents who were original owners. It was sitting for 10 years, 5 of those in a field! I hated seeing it rot in the field so I towed it home, put it on jacks for a year while I fixed what I could to make it road worthy. It's basically stock with some minor mods, nothing crazy. Been driving it for about six months regularly, fixing whatever breaks as I go. This car is great, fast and fun for 35 years old, not to mention it gets decent gas mileage.

• 2 weeks later...

My '71 240Z is a very sound, very reliable daily driver when it's nice out. I bought the second 240Z in town (Las Cruces, NM) in 1970, drove it 18 months and sold it at a profit. Should have never sold it I kick my arse everytime I think about it. Bought a 280Z while stationed in Portland, OR, but it wasn't the same. Bought the red Z, originally a California car, because it has zero rust-no joke. The PO was setting the car up to be a track car but his growing family forced him to sell it. A ton of wrench time was evident in the car---2977 L28, triple Dellortos, mild "slalom" cam, headers, oil cooler, 5-speed, 3.90 diff. The interior was bare except for a couple of '50s looking racing seats. Loud, but fast. 906 red was not exactly the color of choice (my old on was dark blue), but the car had gotten a respray in the 1980s. I prefer Panasports to the 17 x 7" Motegi MR8s on the car, but they kind of grow on you. Anyway . . . I've civilized it some by putting in a 3.54 diff and completely refurbishing the interior. After photo documenting the nice, rust-free condition of the car, I used B-Quiet Ultimate front to back, B-Quiet V-Comp on the floors and rear deck, new carpet throughout, new retractable seat betls, Momo steering wheel, rebuilt stock seats, and a nice Alpine FM/CD/XM rig. Future additions include fiberglass bumpers (left rear is bent), a reworked console, and getting the A/C working. The paint is ready for another refresh, and I'm considering changing from the present red (too orange) to a nice maroony not-to-metallic wine color. I'll leave this car to my son if he behaves himself.

post-10711-1415079755019_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

My Z is in amazing shape IMO for it being 30+yrs old.

I could definately drive it daily if I so chose to do so but I don't becuase i drive 35+k miles a year for work and canadian winters wouldn't be fun. That said I drove it from Seminol Florida to Cambridge Ontario, Canada when I bought it on new year's eve 2006. 2200km of non-stop driving without a single hiccup even with bad valve adjustment. It ran 10fold better after that was done, great milage for how much overlapp the camshaft has as well. Definately a solid car. I was lucky enough to win a best in class for 280z modified with it last month. I knew when we bought the car that it was in really good shape and looked great. having now had much more experienced Z owners give it a thorough look over and judge it to be best in class I almost have a new appreciation for it. This winter I will be doing a motor swap and pulling the F54/P79 combo for a bowtie-383. This car has definately brought me lots of smiles since I've owned it. Its something i open the garage door and see it and even just the smell of sitting in it makes me smile. When I'm out in the Z nothing else matters, just the car and the road. I'm calling it my 1/3rd life crisis car (just turned 25), my wife is scared what will happen when I turn 50... i'll probably buy another one and make a clone of the one we have now. hehehe

obligatory picture from the car show

n512692343_264804_9512.jpg