IGNORED

HShow Car mods for handicapped Driver

TomoHawk

.... As for the Fiat emblem , I think that would be looked down upon . No different than a Fairlane script on the side insted of Datsun.
It's FROM a Fiat, it doesn't SAY Fiat. And like I said, it's inside on the dash where the old rectangular, plastic & chrome thing was.

NWCubsman-

I didn't think you were trying to be mean, I just don't understand why someone might think of a DMV mod as a joke?

Tomohawk:

Re: NWCubsman's reply (and I hope I'm not stepping on him again) I vaguely recall a joke from years ago, where someone sent out invitations for a very exclusive and RICH party with "Black Dress Required" at the bottom. A newly rich couple, not wishing to stand out or offend, and NOT knowing what Black Dress Required meant, attended but BOTH of them wearing....Black Dresses (i.e. the man in drag). When they arrived at the party, to their chagrin they realized their mistake and were trying to make a quick exit. Their host realizing their embarrasing predicament, and being a good host, quickly ran to his wife's closet and also donned a black dress and returned to the party. Upon his entrance to the main room, there were gasps as he walked through the crowd and greeted the newly rich couple. The guest thanked the host and asked him why he had done such a thing in front of all of his friends...all rich and influential people. The host replied, "I'm the richest man here, and frankly.....f*** them if they can't take a joke."

Does that help explain? Or put another way, there's a French expression that says: "L'audace, toujours l'audace." That translates to "With Audacity, always with audacity."

With regards to the judging strictness in your neck of the woods, it might not be that they're intentionally looking for ways to exclude you, but rather that there are enough Daily Drivers in such EXCELLENT condition that .... sadly .... yours and others, being in almost excellent condition don't make the cut.

I think my car is a beautiful example, yet I can see some other examples that are even better than mine. Have I felt miffed at not winning a trophy or even an "also ran" type of mention....you bet. Especially when I felt that the class winners in those classes where I entered did not....BY MY VIEWPOINT...measure up to my car. But there's always another show, and another day to try.

Want to really, REALLY get miffed? Here in Vancouver there's a show they have where they block off Main Street for a few blocks and bring in the "Classics". The criteria is that the car be older than 25 years. It is sponsored by two or three local car clubs, predominantly American cars. That is, not a foreign import amongst them. I attended, and registered in the Daily Driver Import class. There were maybe half a dozen import cars there, and one VENDOR'S car. The vendor's car? A Lamborghini Countach (sp?). Now the Lambo was only driven to car shows....on a trailer, and an enclosed one at that. Guess what place it took in the ONLY Import class....the one I'd registered for. To add insult to injury, the second and third places? They went to a car .... in PRIMER with cracks in the windshield, and to a Porsche. The Primer car was owned by one of the members and officer of one of the clubs that sponsored the show, the Porsche? The wife of the Treasurer of one of the other clubs.

Needless to say, I've not returned to that show even to peruse what they bring in.

FWIW

Enrique

...And like I said, it's inside on the dash where the old rectangular, plastic & chrome thing was.

But here I have to concur with Beandip.

A Pininfarina emblem in a Z is simply out of place....regardless of how beautiful it may be.

What would you say to a Mercedes Radiator Cap Star instead of a Hood Emblem? Or a Rolls Royce Flying Liberty? or a Mack Truck Bulldog?

Do you see where it quickly begets the question....."Why?"

2¢

Enrique

So in your area, a Lambo or a Porsche in primer beat a Datsun with great paint. Must be the "Hi-dollar import" class.

I've gotten some very favorable comments on my Pininfarina emblem. It fits the indent on the dash perfectly, and I mounted right (with Velcro!) I might try to rechrome an OEM emblem if I find one, and swap them.

For Gary, I have a bolt plugging the hose for my cold-start injector. I did round-off the head tho, so it's not too obvious. I need a proper threaded plug for that.

I still work on my car. I polish the sill plates, vacuum the carpets, etc. FWIW, I was told ( by another competitor) that if I put the luggage straps over my full-size spare, I wouldn't have lost those points.

I loved the Fairlane script on the fenders! Too funny! You guys are really having fun with this thread, aren't you all? Haven't you ever heard the expression "F-em if they can't take a joke", Tom? That one was clearly directed at the car show judges, not you!

Check out this radio antenna on a 1930 something Packard.

post-4148-14150796748174_thumb.jpg

The sporty styling of the Z goes well with a Pininfarina badge. One guy has even asked me if it really WAS built by them, and I confidently said, "Yup." and the guy believed me, by what he said after that. He mentioned it looks good and is (period correct). So I think I will keep it on there. Part joke, part looks, part ego...

Ferraris weren't the only cars Mr. Pinin and Mr. Farina built...

After a few emails to a guy at the ZCCA, he seems to want to just go with the judging rules as written; i.e. stock class means absolutely how it came from the factory, or no mods- even those required by the DMV. This for the sanctioned ZCCA/national events.

Local car shows or judges can do things the way they want.

After a few emails to a guy at the ZCCA, he seems to want to just go with the judging rules as written; i.e. stock class means absolutely how it came from the factory, or no mods- even those required by the DMV. This for the sanctioned ZCCA/national events.

Local car shows or judges can do things the way they want.

thx