IGNORED

Looking for floor pan templates

Zthing

First off, I know it should be simple enough to measure out.....so no need to flame me. Just curious if anyone had ever run across a good set of floor pan templates (240z) for those who would like to cut and bend their own. I am not looking for exact replica (drain plugs, etc.).

Not in the manner you might want, but if you check the FSM you'll find the dimensional picture might help. As far as an actual template for that specific part, I am not aware of one.

I can understand the enjoyment of doing it yourself, but unless you have a 48" sheet metal brake, you'll have a hard time bending the metal.

Have you looked at Charlie Osborne's (zeddfindings.com) floor pans that he sells? For the sizing, the amount of hazzle it takes to bend your own, and the frustration of making mistakes, his price is actually very inexpensive.

E

EScanlon.....thanks for the reply. Yes I have looked at zeddfindings and agree that they carry some nice ones at about the best price you can find. As a matter of fact, the only pans I could find within the US that even compared were about $100 more. That in itself is amazing. I can buy cheaper from Canada than here in the US.

As far as owning a 48" brake, don't think so. There are too many metal fab shops in the area to warrant that. With me supplying the metal and specs, I could have the cutting and bending done very reasonably, leaving me a fair amount of cash to put towards other needed items.

I may still end up going with Zedd. Have heard lots of good comments about the product and service. Have yet to call and find out shipping to NC. May be depressing. Once again....thanks for the response.

You might be supprised. I bought a set of floor pans for my 240 and they are first rate in both quality and fit. They do come with the support that runs from under the seat to the bottom of the firewall . The cost for the pair $293.68 including shipping to Portland Oregon . THIS INCLUDED THE RUBBER PLUGS TO FILL THE DRAIN HOLES.

Zthing,

I would be willing to bet that the reason everyone else charges more for Charlie's floor pans is because they ARE Charlie's floor pans! There is no better deal out there. My advice here would be that by the time you get through crapping around and spending time and money trying to make your own metal solution to your rust problems, you would be far better off buying the metal from Charlie. Believe me! There will still be plenty of bending and fitting to satisfy anyone! I just finished installing pans and rails in 26th. 27th will get the same and I am very satisfied. There is no question in my mind. This is the standard floor pan and frame rail repair solution.

Chris

Whew... First off.....let me state again Zedd was in fact the best deal I found, and before all is said and done, that may actually be the way I go. So there is no more need to try and sell me on that pan set. I was just asking if anyone had run across any templates. Well, instead of templates, I am being told how silly it would be to attempt it. I have been called worse than silly before.......so I can handle it.

Actually, responses are appreciated and points well taken. As a matter of fact, your statement that the other pans may be Charlie's being sold by someone else is probably correct.......they sure look like em, and that would surely explain the price boost compared buying straight from him.

I may take issue with your other statement though.....the one about crapping around. Mine are usually fairly straight and taperred on each end.

I try not to crap at all near the Z though. Makes for a messy workplace, and if you have seen my shop pic, you know I already have enough to contend with. Thanks all.

JKVC

I just finished installing Zedd's floor pans in my 72z. I recommend you look at the excellent articles on this site concerning removing your old floors and installing the new ones. They were a great help. The floor pans fit the door side and front of the opening perfectly. There is extra material along the tunnel and rear that you trim to fit. You decide where to cut the tunnel. Although the tunnel side is curved, the pan needs to be "worked" to fit your installation. The two sides of the tunnel are shaped differently. You will be supprised how many times you fit and modify the pans before they fit correctly. I am sure you will agree it was worth the time and money when you are finished.

BobM

Add me to the list of Z owners who have installed Charlie's floor pans and this is from someone who sell frame rails. His are the best, period.

Remember to leave the tranny crossmember installed before you cut out the old floor. Leave it in throughout the installation process. Take measurements before you cut out your floors, both inside and under. You want the tunnel the right size so the tranny fits right in without any rubbing.

And a shameless plug. Should you need to replace your seat brackets, we sell a direct weld in (nearly) OEM copy. You can see them at: www.baddogparts.com - click on the "Products" button - the seat bracket pic can also be enlarged. And if you want a full length frame rail (from the T/C rod box to the rear crossmember) made from 11 guage sheet steel we'll be making them in the next 2 weeks. They're for Zs with added HP or ones that are a bit tired and saggy.

All great info......forget the templates. You've all worn me down. Or was that the thought of the effort involved in making my own. Either way.....from all the online research, plus all of your comments......there is no doubt where to buy them from. Thanks again everyone.

....snip....

I may take issue with your other statement though.....the one about crapping around.....snip...

I don't think you should take it as the QUALITY of your work being impugned,. Consider it as follows: you will cover a lot of ground that has been pretty thoroughly investigated and Charlie's fix IS the cheapest and best in the long run.

There is no doubt that you would perform excellent work for yourself. To presume otherwise is to presume you hate yourself. Otherwise why wouldn't you do your best? But there are times when it's more cost-effective to have someone else do the work.

Trying to find an alternative is a futile exercise as the BEST you could hope to do is to match the price or beat it by a few dollars. When you compute how much time and effort and $ you will spend to do that, you would agree that you ended up "crapping around".

Now if YOU did, in fact, own a 48" sheet metal brake, then would you be able to find a better deal than Zeddfindings. Then again, you'd look at the price and know that his deal IS an excellent deal. That's why you're seeing it repeated over and over by various members.

Enrique