IGNORED

Which job is better???

agemeansnothing

I like mine to appear fairly original, like the interior and body. I do choose to retain the I6 too but the internals of the motor and the suspension on the car are very different from the original. So over all I prefer original modified Z's, if that makes since.

Keep the best of the original, the 1970 of course; if you want an argument, there is only one place to start, the best body design of the S30 without the heavy bumpers, thanks to designer Albrecht Goertz, if you don't mind, and NISSAN patriots, please don't kick me off. Put on some fine wheels and great tires which weren't really available back in the day, (yes, I owned a new 1970 240Z way back, and 70 series tires were "wide.") Then, I don't want people to feel at all like they are riding in a 35 year old car, hence, electric windows and locks, heated seats, cruise control, fine stereo, tint, leather seats, console and dash, a little fine wood treatment maybe...I want my kids or wife or friends to be able to hop in, hit the key, and enjoy the ride without having to explain some ritual of choke and throttle. Fuel injection and electronic ignition, 5 speed and limited slip diff are mighty nice; after you get used to them, it's hard to give them up if you don't have to. I don't need electric seats or cabin climate control, or at the other end of the spectrum, a roll bar. So, like most of the other posts suggest, the really cool thing about the old school Z's is that you can customize them just as you like. Not many cars can be built, or left original, and be such a great personal car. I also appreciate the idea of a second car to satisfy the other needs or urges, or maybe a couple of cars. I'll keep the 76 2002 and the 2004 MCS pretty much stock and other old bimmers in various states, but the Z will be exactly what I want it to be: a free spirit. I'm old, and so is the Z, I don't dress like the 70's, and I don't want my Z to be locked in time either. But I love to see the ones that are true to their era all the same. Enjoy yours in any state of dress.

I have always had a certain thought on this type of topic:

You will always be able to buy new parts and put them on an older car, no matter what, new parts will always be available, and anybody can buy them and put them on the old car. But the original parts for a car will not always be available, and not everybody will be able buy them making their car original, it takes much more effort to keep a car original and I feel dserves more prestige.

My car personally, it is a 1973 so nothing special to keep bone stock. I am keeping it in touch with Z heritage, while doing a few performance modifications to my liking. Because if I am putting this much time and effort into the car, I want the car to be exactly how I want it. So I'm putting in an l28 from a '78 Z and doing some tokico shocks and springs and poly bushings, other than, it is stock. It will still keep the beauty of a stock car, exterior and interior

I originally planned to put a small block V8 in my Z when I bought it. But when I considered that the car was in pretty good shape, all the numbers matched, and it ran, I figured I'd keep the L24 and lean towards keeping it close to stock. I did have to put in a CD player, though, gotta have toons! But, I've got a thought on being able to play all the tunes I want and keeping the stock radio in place... it's a topic for another thread, though...

Anyway, I think a Z looks great in blue jeans and also in a cocktail dress with pearls. Just as long as neither the jeans nor the dress are torn....

• 3 months later...
I'll choose speed everytime.

I'm with you!!!! I'm going with filled in turn signals, vents, gas lid, and smoothed off rear with no bumper. I love the smooth look! Pewter with metalic graphite racing stripes, role cage, white faced gauges, clear front blinkers, clear head light covers, ducted front airdamn, black interior, my black airknit kirkey road racing seats, richmond six speed with old school white shifting ball LOL, with the banks twin turbo 350 sbc, and no exhaust to speak of!! That right there is what gets me through 40-50 hour work weeks, 18 hours of college classes, oh and it also keeps me up at night thinking about when its done!!! and I wouldn't have it any other way, that is what it is all about!!!!

The best of both worlds. Modern technology with the original classic look

Take a stock 240z, enter RB26DE (yes DE, no turbos), drop that in their, give it aftermarket fuel injection but use old weber sidedrafts as your throttle bodies so it looks carberated, hide the wires an fuel injectors. Make the whole engine look like it was made in 1970. No paint on the valve covers, aluminum or better yet, a tarnished copper. No plastic in on the engine, NA you could make 250-300 RWHP probably. That is plenty. Replace your halfshafts with CV joints, and give it a limited slip while your at it. Lower stance, but by no means slammed. About one inch lower, but do it the right way, not just springs, leave the suspension geometry 100% original, maintain that travel you need, This would be hard but worth it(I have my ideas). All the suspension powdercoated, but not a bright color, black or silver. Give it some sway bars and upgrade front and rear brakes. Interior, leave the stock look, but upgrade materials where possible. Leave stock steering wheel or a simular vintage style. Exterior, no flares. Chrome mirrors, upgrade those headlights to xenon, Panasport wheels (16" at max, not less then 50 profile), clean chrome bumpers, no rubber moldings, no b-pillar badge, no antanna, make sidemarkers flush with body, get rid of all badging (except on the hood), get rid of the rear hatch button thing(maybe?), door handles stay, key holes go. Lastly, this maigh be a little extreme but leave that front valence benieth the bumper but lower it about 2-3 inches so that the bottom of it is at the same height as the rocker panel. Remove the seam between the headlight bucket and the fender, do the same for the rocker to quarter seem. Lastly, I always liked the honeycomb grill.

That would be my dream car.

I have a dream car to, just mine is sitting in the driveway (although still have to put motor and interior back in after rust work).

I love the japanese cross muscle car theme, so i have a front and rear spoilers which work semelessly with the big bonnet bulge. the car is lowered about 2 inch's for handling, and looks a treat with the big balloon 195/65/14 road tyres on polished and black accented stock 14" rims sitting up under the guards at the front. The thing is done up to go around a track as fast as a Z can without needing to be towed to the track, which means i can also drive it to Uni when i have the insatiable desire to give it a fang. Interior is stock looking (no stupid guages) but with a nondescript momo wheel and a race seat i put in for track work. i have an upgraded head unit and two 6" speakers in my own custom boxes and will soon completely re-fitted the interior with new plush black carpet to match the re-trimmed seats.

As everyone has said, and i must agree, its a personall decision but it takes a special kind of person to make a Z look bad. so really no matter what path you take i personally think that in all except the extreme casses you cant make a Z look bad.

PC020287.jpg

Tom.

Tommo, the Z looks awesome. What color is that? I really like it. In fact, I think you just helped me settle on a color choice. I always like silver but never liked the fact that chrome and silver don't really contrast enough to make the chrome look obvious. I guess that is why your bumpers are black. Anyways, nice Z.