IGNORED

Who wants a set of Euro tail lights for under $200?

lww

These are for a 70 to 73.5 240z.

For those of you not familiar, Klearz.com is manufacturing 'reproduction' lenses for Z cars. I've already bought some lenses for my 280ZXT so I know they are a legit company at least from my initial experience.

http://www.klearz.com/zcar.html#8

If 5 or more people put in $20 deposits, they'll make a run of these tail lights for $200 / SET! Hello! $200 / SET? When was the last time anyone even found a price on OEM NOS Euro tail lights?

I'll tell you. 2 months ago and they sold for $1200! After nearly a year long search, this was the LAST known complete set of Euro tail lights that I'm aware of. If anyone is interested, I know of someone in Canada with two driver side euro tail lights for $500 EACH! No passenger side. Not even a matched set.

Anyway, I want a set for my 240z so I'm trying to drum up enough interest to get the run going. $200 for a set!

PM me if you're interested.

Here's a pic of a set of dis-assembled euro tail lights. This is similar to what will be delivered, so you'll want to keep your original housings:

240euro.jpg

Cheers,

LWW

Hey Bryan,

I really like the orange turn signal over the red stocker and the lens on my stock tail light is broken anyway. I figured if I'm gonna replace it, I'd rather do it with a Euro Spec configuration and I'd prefer not to go through the pain of trying to source a NOS set like my friend did. He was going for pure restoration with all New/NOS parts, but I don't have that kind of need. I just want the look and I don't care if they're repro's.

Actually, he'll probably be buying a 'backup' set of these in the unfortunate event his are somehow damaged.

No horse power added. I just like them way better.

Now what is the advantage of having these on my Z?
Well, various studies have shown that there may be some safety improvements to separating the various rear lighting elements. The largest safety improvements are found when the tail lights and brake lights are on separate elements, however, which these lenses do not address. So having the turn signals amber (or even red, but separate) <b>MAY</b> help other drivers following you be more aware of your intentions. But the difference may only be theoretical, so any "advantage" other than appearance is quite minor. Some people do prefer the looks of the JDM/Euro rear lights, though.

But note that there are wiring changes necessary to use these lenses. A stock 240Z treats all three bright filaments in the red sections the same - they are all three used as brake lights and turn signals. With these lenses, you need to separate the brake lights from the turn signals the same as the 260/280Z's did. This requires wiring changes in the areas of the turn signal switch, hazard switch, the lights themselves and at least one additional wire running from under the dash to the rear of the car.

I have been considering building a harness adapter that would make the necessary changes as a plug-n-play operation - i.e. no permanent changes to the car would be needed. If you wanted to go back to stock, you would simply unplug and remove the adapter harness. While the wiring changes themselves are pretty straightforward, building it as a reversible plug-n-play harness is a bit more complex, requiring numerous OE-type connectors and therefore the cost of this adapter harness wouldn't be cheap. But I really doubt there is enough demand for this to justify gearing up to build them.

Actually, I would go for the plug-n-play harness regardless of the lenses. I'd rather have the bottom lens blink independantly of the top lens with my stockers too.

I can't imagine the conversion is that difficult as it's been done by so many people who've converted to the Euro lenses.

I have 3 friends that all have them and none of them mentioned the difficulty of the re-wiring or anything about it at all. I'll hit them up and get more details about the swap.

No, the wiring itself is not all that hard, nor is it difficult to figure out what is needed. But building the harness so that the project is totally reversible (no cuts or splices to the original wiring) and making it so that it simply plugs into the factory harness (rather than splicing existing wiring) is more involved. Not difficult, but it requires a lot more parts - especially the OE-type plastic connectors.

I just spoke to one of the guys and he told me it was a straight plug in for the tail light harness that came with the Euro spec tail lights.

I would do a straw poll and see who would be interested in a plug and play harness. Count me as your first customer!

Cheers,

LWW

Looks like we are talking about two different vendors here. I had assumed that all these lenses were coming from the same place, but that is apparently not so.

The ones in the eBay link are from Too Intense, a normal Datsun supplier who actually tooled up new molds for these lenses.

The Klearz.com lenses are stated as being "hand made, and while the surface of the lens will always be perfect, sometimes the tabs and parts of the lens that are not visible might not be as polished and perfect but will always be fully functional." The picture in the first post is not from Klearz.com but is actually from Too Intense's web site of their newly reproduced lenses.

The ones from Too Intense are more money, but sounds like they might be better quality.