1. 1. What was the worst thing about your S30? Please elaborate

• Factory Seats!
    • Factory Wiring!
    • Factory Radio
    • Rear window defroster
    • Factory weather seals
    • Factory Rust Protection
    • lead seam at the top rear of quarter window
    • PO/previously installed options (botched or not...)
    • PO/previous repairs
    • Infestation (ants, mice, inlaws...)
    • Noxious odors (exhaust, mildew, inlaws...)
    • Family/ Friend support
    • Misinformation about the S30
    • Mechanical or cosmetic Maintanence or lack therof-performance issues
    • Accident damage not covered by #11

What was the most nausiating thing about your s30 as you received it?

Please post all of the problematic things that came with your Z, and rank them in your order of correction!

If you own more than one S30, list them in the order you got them, with the current one being fist, and the subject of the poll. Parts cars don't count!

I didn't list AC because there are so few places that it is actually up to par in a 240Z or a 260Z, and most 280Zs were fine as long as they were properly maintained-but if your experience differs, post it...

My Z sat for nearly 5 years without being started by the previous owner. On the other hand my 810 sat for four years but the previous owner started it at least once every two weeks and drove it around the block a couple times a year. Results: Z-new gas tank, fuel lines, a couple of injectors, brakes, etc. before I could even think about driving it. 810: drove it home 55 miles, replaced the cold start valve and have been driving it ever since.

Well, my first Z (my 1972 240Z) had been in an accident leaving my house. It belonged to a family friend and it got hit leaving my drive way after a long day of planning a dirt bike trip with my step dad. Needless to say, the previous owner had spray painted the car, just so it looked "decent", there was bondo everywhere (that wasn't very well done) and lots of little stuff wrong with it. Not to mention a used condom underneath the passenger seat. :finger:. But, I got the Z for $750 which was a steal.

For my second Z, I got a donor car. The car belonged to the same guy who sold me my '72, this was his son's car though. He was going down a hill at about 25mph and lost control and hit someone head on, which totalled the car. This was the "better" out of the two before it was wrecked. It was a '73. I ended up cutting metal out of it to use, and lots of little parts, until about a month ago it was hauled off to the dump; which broke my heart, but I had no room for it, and there wasn't a lot left.

I figure two Z's under my belt, and I'm only 17, that's pretty good eh? LOL

I bought my first 71 z in 73. At the time rust was was not a problem. All of the problems I had back then were self induced. there were hardly any Z cars around and I was used to american muscle cars and american made beer. Up until I got my Z I had owned a 68 nova SS 350,69 olds 442, 67 mustang, and my dad had a 70 trans am 455HO I got to drive. I did not understand you could not drag race every other day or just snatch it around for fun and not break something.I replaced many u joints and clutches. back then while I was in the army I had to choose between beer and oil. I replaced the engine after 2 years. My second was a 280 Z. I learned to take it a little easier and had only 1 problem with it. The only thing that will do more damage to you owning a Z than neglect or beer is a divorce. That should be in the owners manual. I just got my third Z. it is in great shape but now I have the regular problems that come with age. Fuse box burnt,a little rust,clock not working,and the normal cracks in the dash, I am fixing these in the order as parts come available.

I bought my first 71 z in 73. At the time rust was was not a problem. All of the problems I had back then were self induced. there were hardly any Z cars around and I was used to american muscle cars and american made beer. Up until I got my Z I had owned a 68 nova SS 350,69 olds 442, 67 mustang, and my dad had a 70 trans am 455HO I got to drive. I did not understand you could not drag race every other day or just snatch it around for fun and not break something.I replaced many u joints and clutches. back then while I was in the army I had to choose between beer and oil. I replaced the engine after 2 years. My second was a 280 Z. I learned to take it a little easier and had only 1 problem with it. The only thing that will do more damage to you owning a Z than neglect or beer is a divorce. That should be in the owners manual. I just got my third Z. it is in great shape but now I have the regular problems that come with age. Fuse box burnt,a little rust,clock not working,and the normal cracks in the dash, I am fixing these in the order as parts come available.

So how did your Z compare to those American muscle cars. It drove about the same, right?

So how did your Z compare to those American muscle cars. It drove about the same, right?

Sure, left hand on the stearing wheel, right on the shifter, took a while to get used to that funny headlight switch :) I too came upon the Z in the late seventys after my run through the usual American Muscle cars, and must say that I didn't have any complaints about the car it was great. I bought it off of a Porsche lot, it was a trade in on a 924, poor choice on their part I think :) But it was my first car made outside the US and it was a great car and still is, I don't remember every having any problems with the car that weren't driver/owner induced.

Really you can't compair American muscle cars to a Z, whole different breed. They were heavier so they rode nicer, bias ply tires and soft suspension made for crappy handling, but dump the clutch on a built big block blasting through that rock crusher 4 speed to some 4.11 gears hooking up some M60-15's real good and it was hang on for the ride :) Maybe time has distorted things, as I'm sure my Silverado is probably faster than some of the cars I had but there is something special to American muscle if you grew up driving them.

But all that said, 25 years later I still have my Z and not a muscle car in the lot :)

The car was listed as mint condition which I took with caution but not enough. As I stripped the paint the nausea got worse.The rewelded inner front fender damage(PO denies knowledge) has kept this car from being anything but a daily driver and will not sell to another victim.Damage does not affect alignment just pride.

#1 replace rockers

#2 " " doglegs

#3 " " front/rear lower quarters

#4 remove dash to fix bomb squad wiring

But I have learned alot in the process and can almost give advice.

I am even toying with the idea of getting rid of the Z32 to get another s30.

I've been slowly removing/correcting/fixing the things inflicted on my poor Series I ever since I got it. Making progress, but still have a ways to go.

Once I get the previous owners' issues dealt with, then I can start on the rust...

Not even close. Muscle cars had brute power for acceleration, and my z's had great handling and performance. For pure fun cruising and winding roads it is like comparing 190 proof golden grain to a fine wine.

that's how my zed was listed. it passed safety with flying colors.i got lucky and took a chance buying from just pictures but u could tell by the quality of the pics and the clean engine bay that the car was well taken care of.a few scratches and dings ( easy fixes) but no rust. that was the main issue. original paint so nothing was hidden.sorry about your luck mirz.guy like that give used car salesmen a bad name.