IGNORED

Mystery car 280ZXR ????

draco8

I have opportunity to buy a 1979 ZXR runs and drives but needs body work, paint, battery, starter, and transmission. Price: $1000 Question:If the aforementined work is done, what would a reasonable resale value be? ---considering they were stated as rare in 2003 - date of article.

After reading the article reference posted by Mike I would not want this for my own, but maybe investment for resale to get the Z I really want.

Thanks, Mike for your help I'm not real knowledgeable about the mechanical

end of it, just a lady who has to have a Z . My son would help with maintenance, and I would learn from him. Thanks all.

draco8,

There isn't much of a knowledge base on the ZX series on this board.

Primarily, because we tend to discuss the classic zed series [240-260-280Z], however before I get flamed for this post, it may well be time for a ZX forum as certain similarities exist between models. Given that they are becoming a classic, purely because of age doesn't mean thay don't have there place here [iMHO].

Interesting history, please keep posting as you gain knowledge on this particular model.

MOM

I did not know that. I guess with Stephen reffers to his 810 Coupe as "Heart of a Z", it goes deeper than just the powerplant!

I don't know if I fully buy the comment from the article. The 810 came out in late 76 (77 model year). It's really more 280Z than 280ZX. The Maxima chassis (910) is more like the ZX. Rear disc brakes, etc.

• 2 years later...

While the 1979 280ZX-R has an interesting place in DATSUN/NISSAN racing history - it really is not a highly sought after Classic, Collectible or Special Interest car.

From a "Collector" perspective - a pure stock, all original, extremely low mileage example (less than 10K miles) "might" be interesting enough to have - anything less than pure original perfection would be passed. At present a near perfect, all original, as it left the showroom floor example "might" bring a bit over $10K - IF you were lucky enough to have to interested parties bidding against one another.

The 280ZX - had a focus on Xtra LuXury. The 280ZX-R was a stripped down, basic slick top coupe, lacking the very luxury items that drive the price of say the 1980 10th Anniversary Edition 280ZX. As such the 280ZX-R's are not really in demand.

My best advice - look for a lower mileage, better cared for 280ZX. Pay a bit more up front if you must, and you'll put far less into it in total. The 280ZX's are really great cars, but you have to love them for what they are - - far more luxurious Sports/GT's than the first generation Z's.

good luck,

Carl B.

• 5 months later...
After reading the article reference posted by Mike I would not want this for my own, but maybe investment for resale to get the Z I really want.

Sorry, no such thing as an investment project Z. Most people on this board would agree that Z cars are lousy investments. Most of us could not get 50% of our money back unless we bought a car that some other schmuck already took a bath on. :disappoin

We do it for the love of the car and are happy to throw good money after bad, but we all know that we are throwing our money away.

Depends on how you look at the investment...

A week long stay at Disney World/Orlando for four (out of state) about $3000. I tried to sell my memories, videos, and photographs for what I have in them---no takers!

What did I get to show for the money...something no one would buy at any price!

Not that Disney wasn't fun...it was.

Spending $3000 on a Z, well, I could feel that difference in the seat of my pants every time I got in the car-it could pay for better seats, nitrous, a suspension upgrade, and a better AC!

Course there would be nothing Mickey Mouse about it...ROFL

Will