IGNORED

Does anybody have wheels like these?

BadDog

Does anybody have wheels like these? Or 14x7 wheels in general? They're on their way to me, and I want to order tires, but I'm not sure if I want to go 205/70-14, 205/60-14 (big difference in overall diameter) ... maybe a 215/60-14 ?

Good looking wheels, had a set similar but not exactly like them till last week, unloaded them on the guy that bought my 280. I think you would be a little happier if you go with the 60 series tires. A little less sidewall height, a little less sidewall flex and an overall better look on the car. I've run 205's, 215's, and also 225's with no problems.

I have a very similar set for my 73 i bought last year, in fact i mounted them today! They look great on my car, which is silver/black like yours:D Mine are 14X6 (just looked today) and have 185/70/14 on 'em, but i prefer 215/60/14- seems to be just about right for the Z.

Jeremiah

Originally posted by BadDog

Does anybody have wheels like these? Or 14x7 wheels in general? They're on their way to me, and I want to order tires, but I'm not sure if I want to go 205/70-14, 205/60-14 (big difference in overall diameter) ... maybe a 215/60-14 ?

Take the wheels down to your local tire dealer and ask them to install one of each size. You can then make your decision based on what you can see.

After you make the first decision, ask them to finish mounting them and take the car on a test drive.

Some of the dealers will also let you take the tires for a week or so just to see if you'll like them. In fact, here in the PACNW a company called Les Schwab will let you take the tires back for up to 30 days!!

I would go with 205/60 or 215/60. Either should fit on the wheel fine. There is really very little difference between these sizes but more than likely the difference will be what is available with the tire you deside to use! I just bought some 15" rims but don't have tires yet. I still have my 14x6 with 205/60R14 on the front and 215/60R14 on the back. I would have to say that they are a little wide for the wheel, that's why I got 7" wheels this time. I didn't plan to go bigger on the back, it was just that last time I only replaced two and that is what was available. If your car is not lowered the wider 215/60s may help fill in the wheel gap. I personally wouldn't go with 225 unless you go to 50 series.

Hope it helps!

I'd be interested to see what you end up with, BadDog. I just acquired a set almost identical, except mine are not painted black in between the vanes. Mine also say 14x6.75? I quess it's the same as 14x7.

I have almost identical wheels on my 71 (Western wheel 14X6.5) with the BF Goodrich TAs 215 60 14. They ride very well, look good and are quiet (imporant). The overall size (OD) is smaller than stock so the speedo will read higher than actual but you can get used to that. :P

My photo is listed in members rides under billcapp.

I thought at least 60% of all 280Z's came with these wheels IF NOT ALL!!!! They are everywhere. These wheels REPRESENT the late 70's!!! There seems to be at least as many of these on 280's as there are slotted mags on 240's. They are all lumped under the generic term 'Turbine', no? Some have the vanes closer together (I actually have a set of these laying around) to pretty far apart. Now, the 'Cobra' ones seem to have a little different angle to them.

steve77

(really cheap 'turbines' available in Sacto!!!)

Well surprise surprise, they arrived today (early). Maybe I'll call around on my lunch break to see if anyone stocks decent tires in 225/60/14 (I doubt it!) That way I can have 1 mounted and see how they fit. Am I right in remembering if they're going to rub, they'll rub in the rear wheel well?

(if I could find white-lettered tires that'd be so 70's LOL)

It *does* look like they were never used, just dusty :)

LOL I didn't bother pointing that out to you, I've mis-read a few posts myself ;)

Looks like my local Firestone dealer can "hook me up" tomorrow morning... Firehawk SS20's (raised white lettering, decent reviews on tirerack.com)

Now I just gotta find lug nuts that will work! :rolleyes:

I just ended up getting some cheap-o's at Pep Boys. Luckily they had 12 x 1.25 mag style lugs with washers :-)

When the Firestone dealer was mounting the Firehawk SS20's, they ended up cross-threading one of my wheels studs, so it took an extra 45 minutes or so while we waited for that part to arrive, but everything else went pretty well. They look great, ride well, and hopefully I'll post some pics after I go to the show tomorrow at Finger LAkes Racetrack. Over 20 Z's pre-registered, so there should be a good turnout :-)