IGNORED

240z NOS hood

richard1

Does MSA even deal in used parts? I know some parts are rebuilt/refurbished, but I don't recall ever seeing a section for ordering used parts.

MSA does occasionally have used parts to choose from, if they have an overstock of parts that are already refurbed, the will sometimes just try to sell off the used parts.

The only real way to get used parts from MSA is to call them and ask for something used. They'll have to check inventory.

Chances are the hood is a refurb or new piece made specifically for MSA, like the louvered hood they sell.

Back to the original post - Get the order number/invoice and call MSA. Otherwise you're sitting around wondering until the box shows up on the truck.

My resto shop told me that it must be perfect and will not put something that will not be acceptable.

It is an interesting discussion because of the opinions about NOS (or reproduction) versus good used one.

This question must appear silly for many of you but I am not a body expert. If the hood to come is silver and the car's original paint is orange, it makes sense that the used hood will have to be stripped both sides to bare metal?

What will happen to the unacessible ereas as the underside framing of the hood to remove and seal the metal and repaint the right color?

Maybe I worry to much on the subject.

Anyway, thanks to everybody for your comments.

I've been through this before with an earlier restoration. A few additional thoughts:

• Even a brand new original Nissan part (either NOS or current, if still available) will most likely still need minor finish work prior to painting. When Datsun built the car, the hood was pressed and assembled quite close to the final assembly line. Not so for a replacement part - it has been shipped from Japan on a boat, and then transported by truck at least twice, perhaps several times. No way it is going to arrive as pristine as when it was packaged in Japan, it's going to have small nicks and dimples at best, and could even have gotten slightly twisted somewhere along the way.
  • A really good used one will have a lot shorter trip to you than the new one, and MSA will probably package it as well or better than Nissan would.
  • Any good restoration shop will know where and how to get all the paint stripped from a used body part. They will also know how to prime and seal it prior to painting it.

I guess my advice would be to express your concerns to your repair shop, and then trust them if they are comfortable with the part they receive.