IGNORED

Power antenna electrics

TomoHawk

What I did to get the antenna up was just take some plyers and pull it up, I couldn't get it to go up with just my hands.

In which case you probably ruined an original antenna that your previous owner couldn't get to operate with the aftermarket radio. I'll bet the three contact plug for the antenna is still behind your console in which case all you would have had to do is plug in the correct switch and it would have worked. After pulling it up with pliers, however, I think it's done.

In which case you probably ruined an original antenna that your previous owner couldn't get to operate with the aftermarket radio. I'll bet the three contact plug for the antenna is still behind your console in which case all you would have had to do is plug in the correct switch and it would have worked. After pulling it up with pliers, however, I think it's done.

Sorry for the long reply, apparently I fogot to check back.

We're having some electrical work done on it,and they're going to see if they can wire it so it will come up with when the radio is turned off and on. If the antenna is ruined, I can put in the spare that I have--

If you wire it up like Gary said ( for an automatic antenna), you'll only need a toggle switch to put it up & down. So after you switch on the radio, a quick flip of the antenna switch puts it up. Personally, I don't see a reason to wear out the antenna motor & mast having it go up & down all that much. I only put mine down for the car wash, or when the cover goes on. Sometimes on the highway or in certain parking lots.

thx

Thanks for the info, if their able to do it, they will probably have to put a toggle switch in that spot next to the hazard switch. Like you said, it's really not that big of a deal to have it go up and down, the way I've got it now is up and seems to get a pretty good reseption, so it's not that big of a deal if it's not opperational. Although can be nice in the garage so you don't poke your eye out on accident while walking by it or washing it.:ermm:

To make things less noticeable, you might want to look into a small rocker switch instead of a toggle switch. They are practically flush with very little showing. Radio Shack should have one. Paint it black and people might not even notice it.

To make things less noticeable, you might want to look into a small rocker switch instead of a toggle switch. They are practically flush with very little showing. Radio Shack should have one. Paint it black and people might not even notice it.

Thanks, I was thinking that same thing. I would want it to look pretty much the same as the hazard and re-defogger switch. I'm trying to keep the look stock as much as possible, so I would want something that really would blend.

Thanks, I was thinking that same thing. I would want it to look pretty much the same as the hazard and re-defogger switch. I'm trying to keep the look stock as much as possible, so I would want something that really would blend.

Give an old OEM switch a new life-you could even paint up the back lit marker-factory parts look factory even with a new use...

WIll

That's the one.

The bottom one (blue) is the 12V supply, and the other two (red & white stripe) are the up & down (280Z FSM page BE-74 - 77.) I forget which is which. Make sure the key is on before hitting the switch. FYI, the connector on the antenna itself will fit that, in case you have to. Try to get a dead antenna off ebay cheap, like I did. Then clip the connector, and put a SPDT monentary switch on it.

I might have one more connector.

thx

I didn't want to add to this thread until I did a little research. Nissan/Datsun made an antenna switch to use if you replaced the original radio but still wanted to use the original antenna. It goes in the the large slot where the wide blanking plate is below the radio. I couldn't find a part number to check the availability but then I saw in in an eBay auction. Someone actually paid an eBay seller $167.50 for one of these! I won't link to the auction but I don't have a problem leeching his pictures. They are still available through www.nissanparts.cc for $9.12 plus shipping and they plug right into the harness. 99993-00370. That is one of my pet peeves about the Datsun hobby.

2u903ll.jpg2v3k4ms.jpg