IGNORED

Power antenna electrics

TomoHawk

I found out my 280Z has a power antenna ( OEM one, I think), but the radio isn't connected to it, AFAIK. Modern radio.

1. Can you disconnect the antenna wire at the antenna and hook up a plain one instead?

2. Can you activate it by jumping the lead near the radio or something? It might be neat to see if I can get it to go up & down, if it still works.

thx

Lance,

My Mitchell's wiring diagram doesn't even have a radio on it so any info or pointer to a wiring pic would be helpful. I assumed there would be an arial connection at the antenna itself, but wasn't able to get the thing out, or get my eyes in there to look.

One further question would be which wire behind the console is it and what do you connect to it, 12V?

thx

Short term solution is to bookmark this site: http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/

You'll find a wiring diagram for the 78 there.

Long term solution is to get a factory service manual. Look for them on eBay, buy the CD at http://www.courtesyparts.com or try your local Nissan dealer (sometimes you get lucky). The FSM will have pictures of some of the wiring, especially connectors.

Don't own a Z without it.

I have a service manual. Went through it again and I found a couple things that will help. See attached pics.

The answer is that connecting the right pins on the radio , you can get it to go up or down (if it still works).

Thanks for reminding me to try sgain. :classic:

thx

post-2169-14150795807238_thumb.jpg

post-2169-14150795807417_thumb.jpg

Looks like you found the info you needed, I couldn't help more since all I have is 240 stuff and I'm sure the wiring is different. Thing to remember is that these antennas don't have limit switches (at least my 240 didn't) so you must turn them off when you reach full up/full down. Use a single pole double throw center off switch. I worked mine this way for a while until I replaced it with a rubber antenna, got tired of jerks breaking it off when I would forget to put it down.

I was just wondering if that old thing still worked. A patch wire is all that I"ll need to test it, assuming I can find the radio end of the wires. If it still works, I'll eBay it ($$!). I thought it was just a plain mast antenna, so I was going to just throw it away and replace it with an invisible window-mounted wire.

thx

...Use a single pole double throw center off switch. ....
Emphasis mine.

CORRECTION: Use a MOMENTARY Single Pole Double Throw Switch.

If you don't specify a Momentary switch, the Center OFF requirement would give you a switch with 4 leads to connect to. A momentary switch only has 3 connection points. This also eliminates the possibility of burning out the motor on the antenna due to leaving the switch on either the UP or DOWN positions.

The 240's and: from the drawings that Tomo posted: show that they are using the same type of antenna. The switch only serves to route 12v+ to either one wire or the other. The reversal of polarity is what causes the motor to reverse it's direction.

On the newer style antennas, they are constantly powered, but they have a solenoid attached close to the motor that detects when current is flowing to the radio, and piggyback on this current, which then lets the antenna go up. When THAT current is removed (when you shut off the radio) the antenna goes down. The limiting switch is usually a gear or micro-switch that detects the full up/down position and then interrupts the constant power. That's why if you turn on your car and had left the radio on the last time you rode in the car, the antenna and radio would promptly go up. Then when you shut off the car, the antenna would still be powered so that it could go down.

Tomo, if you are serious about selling that antenna, would PM me? I would also be interested even if the motor doesn't work, but the shaft is ok.

2¢

Enrique

I dunno about selling it to you. The shaft is OK. but not too tight and slips back down some. Maybe using the motor would fix that. I'll have to extract it and let you know. I'm not in a huirry to do that- maybe over the winter.

I understand about the switch. I was going to use as momentary rocker switch even though you suggested something different.