IGNORED

How Close Are Our VIN #'s

Zrush

That's even more odd. My car ( 434056) has a LATER build date (11/78), and a LOWER serial number??

Maybe 11/78 was the "sell by date" LOL

Looking through the serial number chart in my VB catalog, it has the 280Z serial numbers going up to 470k- something

I wouldn't doubt that. I only use it as a general reference anyway. Even the production date in the chart was wrong for MY car.

I'm starting to wonder about the correctness of the parts they are selling now. I replaced the coolant sensor for the ECU, and now the engine runs funny.

I think I'll trek up to the dealer to see if they can get me some original paperwork on the car.

thx

Tomohawk the local dealer might laugh in your face about retrieving original paperwork on that old of a car. I can tell you you might have better luck with Nissan North America. I have paperwork in the Scarab (1977 280Z), the build date is 1/77 and Nissan North America could only provide the date the warranty went into effect which was April of 1977, that tells me the car was sold in April of 1977. That's about all you're probably going to get, even if that. Good luck though :classic:

Vicky

I looked at that car too-gotta love the hood ornament-at least when it is where it should be, and not on the hood!

Don't forget the 280Z steering wheel, horn button, vented hood, 2+2 seat belt retractors, missing door pillar data plate, wild dome light, taped tail light trim, rusty rear overriders, and a lack of pictures of any areas prone to rust or of the other two VIN locations. When was the last time you found true "low profile" tires to fit a 14x5.5 rim?

That said, it doesn't look too bad for a driver-but I would want confirmation of the Vin from the firewall before I considered it for anything else-It has too many parts from a later model car not to check that out. I would also wany pictures of the frame rails, Battery area, rockers and hatch and shelf(preferrably with the trim removed).

Will

Hi Will.

I think you meant to post this message here:

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?p=135964#post135964

Vicky-

Great Idea! Here's mine~

1977 280Z production date 11/76 HLS30364180

1977 280Z production date 02/77 HLS30375132

Wayne

Wayne,

I just realized that we have a couple not far from each other:

1977 280Z 12/76 HLS30-366531

1977 280Z 02/77 HLS30-375108----this is my father's 280Z and ours are only 24 apart! The color code is 611; what's yours for HLS30-375132?

Wayne,

I just realized that we have a couple not far from each other:

1977 280Z 12/76 HLS30-366531

1977 280Z 02/77 HLS30-375108----this is my father's 280Z and ours are only 24 apart! The color code is 611; what's yours for HLS30-375132?

Bob-

Pretty sure it is 510, it may be 515, (lt blue) although I can't exactly remember what the stamped code is, as was the donor car (originally). It does have those custom gray primer accents (rare optional item, so I hear) ROFL

**edit Just looked at the color code and it is 305. I got the other (incorrect) codes from the online library at www.autocolorlibrary.com. end edit**

Wayne

• 2 months later...