IGNORED

If there is a better looking Zcar, please show me.

spudea

Dinosaur engines in cars that were ahead of their time. And WHAT is with that bonnet?

No vote from me.

Dave

I'm sorry... which one has the dinosaur engine? Overhead cam design that was used by ford back in 1920s? Or the pushrod design from 1940s?

Oh well, I suppose I should play this game too:

aad.sized.jpg

aaz.sized.jpg

PICT0175.sized.jpg

PICT0168.sized.jpg

PICT0167.sized.jpg

I Love both of these!

The one on the left belongs to one of our members (woodzcar)... haven't seen him in a while. I like his so much he may have changed my mind on wheels.

The second car is a picture I've had for a few years, but it was the ball that got me rolling to finally get a Z. It is truly a Sweet Ride!

Nate

post-2476-14150795621741_thumb.jpg

post-2476-14150795622017_thumb.jpg

uhm what? Do you mean if I can post a picture of the motor fully hooked up?

Sure, when I finish the conversion :)

Yea thats what i meant. So you took those pics when the L engine was in there? How far are u in the conversion? Looks good thou. Keep up the good work.

I'm sorry... which one has the dinosaur engine? Overhead cam design that was used by ford back in 1920s? Or the pushrod design from 1940s?

I'm sorry, I thought it was a fairly commonly understood thing that the L series was derivative of the Mercedes OHC design of the 1960s. Or are you arguing that over head cam engines are not an advancement/improvement over pushrods? Or that a 1960s Mercedes design is the same as a Ford 1920s design?

Can I make a reservation for the party we're having in your engine bay with all that spare room?

Dave

I'm sorry, I thought it was a fairly commonly understood thing that the L series was derivative of the Mercedes OHC design of the 1960s. Or are you arguing that over head cam engines are not an advancement/improvement over pushrods? Or that a 1960s Mercedes design is the same as a Ford 1920s design?

Can I make a reservation for the party we're having in your engine bay with all that spare room?

Dave

Yup hes right. It came from the benz!!!!!!!!! MY freand who was restoring an old mercedes told me that. So Will (hls30.com), you cant hate the mercedes anymore!!!!!! You drive one!!!! ha ha!

OK, let's back up here.

Peugeot had 2 valve DOHC motors in 1913. Alfa Romeo used DOHC design in 1925, I think. Ford was using them in their race cars in 1920s as well.

First OHV (over head valve) engine was introduced by GM in 1949 in an Oldsmobile. Back then, OHV design was way cheaper to produce, had less moving parts, thus less parts needing to be replaced.

So what I'm saying that overhead cam technology is older than pushrod technology. So technically speaking, you can't call chevy pushrod engines dinosaur engines because they are, in fact, newer.

Is OHC design better than OHV? In today's world with computer controlled EFI, it is. For ease, reliability, cost, and simplicity, OHV wins. We won't count 80s GM and Ford motors, because they're all piles of crap. Especially ford 3.8L v6s that are prone to blow head gaskets when you sneeze.

Today, it's hard to beat the LS1/LS6/LS2 motors for the price. You can buy an all aluminum block LS1, t56 transmission, ecu and wiring harness for 3500-4500 that is underrated at 310 hp (325hp for SS) with all smog equipment attached by GM. Z28 and camaro SS owners will tell you that their cars normally produce 280rwhp for a stock z28, and about 285-290 for the SS models. Assuming 18% drivetrain loss, that's about 330 crank hp for the base Z28. Remove all smog equipment (the 4 or 6 cats, whatever the camaro has), put in a set of headers and a nice freeflowing exhaust system into the Z, and an intake setup... And you wind up with about 350-370crank hp motor that weighs a hair less than the Z stock motor... and with better weight distribution per correct mount kit. Hard to beat that :)

DSCF0049.sized.jpg

Local hybridZ member's LS1 powered Z that runs low 12s/high 11s

Is Z motor a derivative of a mercedes Lseries motor? Nissan bought out Prince Motor Company in 1966, and acquired their SOHC L series design. There are rumors that Nissan was paying royalties to Mercedes for their engine design, but I can't find proof.

Like you said, the nissan L series 4 cyl is a derivative copy of a mercedes L24 SOHC from the 220, and the Z motor is that 4 cylinder + 2 more cylinders. However, there's no official documentation I can find to actually prove that fact (I'm not disagreeing with you).

I'm looking at 45/55 weight distribution, and probably 2150-2200lbs weight fully loaded wet, with a rollbar. My biggest concern is front end being too light

Yup hes right. It came from the benz!!!!!!!!! MY freand who was restoring an old mercedes told me that. So Will (hls30.com), you cant hate the mercedes anymore!!!!!! You drive one!!!! ha ha!

I don't hate Mercedes, They have made many usefull additions to automotive history, I just have never been taken with them.

After that rotary is in and running right, are you going to add a second engine-you have the room!

Will